What's new

Crossing a IBL with a Landrace?

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
So the IBL would be the dominant strain in the cross? Say for example the Deep Chunk (100% Indica) and the Landrace Sativa (100% Sativa) were crossed. Would the offspring be 50/50? or more Deep Chunk dominant since it's the IBL? This is interesting really. By the way the Haze x Deep Chunk is a nice cross and is a perfect example of the kind of cross I want to make.

Last edited:

Reign of Terror

TAG-monk said:
Where i said your a jackass? i disagree but nowhere i have lacked of respect for you.

Original Haze is Thai, colombian gold, acapulco gold, south indian kerala.

if you read my post correctly, you would see i was saying that im a jackass, obviously you didnt say such. i was referring to what i said but anyways thx on the lineage

Reign of Terror

Closet Funk said:
So the IBL would be the dominant strain in the cross? Say for example the Deep Chunk (100% Indica) and the Landrace Sativa (100% Sativa) were crossed. Would the offspring be 50/50? or more Deep Chunk dominant since it's the IBL? This is interesting really. By the way the Haze x Deep Chunk is a nice cross and is a perfect example of the kind of cross I want to make.
if the landrace wasnt worked with then yes, it would be DC dom

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
So I would have to try to stablelize the landrace then make the cross with the IBL in order for it to be a 50/50 split. I plan on doing several grows of these strains just to see what they are all about. Who knows the landraces could be pretty stable already (I doubt it!) who knows. It's definetly going to be an interesting project.

Reign of Terror

yes, but since its a landrace you prob wont need too much work to stabilize certain phenos. maybe 2 or 3 f-generations and it would be fine and then you could release it when Seedbay comes back!

It all depends on how it grow when you plant the seeds, if you see variences, youll need to do some work, if they seem fairly uniform, do a generation and see the turn out...and if those are uniform, youre pretty much set.

Just hope theres no hermies or youll have to get the hermies out, and then stabilize the strain, which spells bitch if you ask me.

Reign

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
actually seed's take more after the mother than they do the father. that's why the female is named first in a cross.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Yea I'm hoping there are no hermies either. Alot of landrace sativas have hermie problems. I guess we'll see when I get to them. I think I'm going to get a few grows in and do some practice before I start something serious.

zamalito

Veteran
I prefer to work with landraces closer to the region of origin. If there's a problem with intersex traits its a good idea to try to work them out of the line but still try to work with them in as few filial generations as possible. As far as ibl's being dominant the further inbred they become nothing could be further from the truth. Some strains make generally dominant females some strains are generally dominant as males some strains are just generally dominant some strains aren't. If you're inbreeding to increase frequency of rare recessive phenotypes then you're obviously going to make the line generally more recessive. My personal theory is that the faster a line changes over time whether its because of breeding or a drastic climatic fluctuation the less dominant the most frequent pheno becomes. On the other hand if a strain is kept in a slow changing environment or is slowly inbred with attention to maintaining the original phenotype the more time the traits have to fix their dominance (with less occurance of overdominance creating a similar expression) and the more dominant said strain becomes.

zamalito

Veteran
That said deep chunk is a very dominant strain especially as a male and most landrace sativas make dominant females. African sativas tend to make the most dominant as a female. This is why all of the afropips hybrids use sativa males it helps make the strain close to 50:50. I have yet to use an african landrace female and breed a strain that was even as manageable heightwise as a haze in the f1.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
You got some landraces, why don't you make some crosses with them?

If I did do a cross with the Deep Chunk I would use a male for sure, as for any IBL strain used in a cross. Actually I'd probally do both, one with a female and one with a male to see what comes out nicer.

Last edited:

beancounter

Veteran
Good thread, I also have the same plans with and IBL indica and and LR sativa.

I too was curious whether it would be considered a true F1 or not.. I know the questions was asked but has someone answered it yet? Whether a IBLxLR = F1?

zamalito

Veteran
Who, me?

I am and have. I wouldn't have said what I did if I don't make landrace s ibl hybrids landrace x landrace hybrids and landrace stabilization. Though much of what I say isn't proven and could possibly be wrong I don't believe in talking about things I don't have experience with.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
I figured alot of people would be interested in this topic. So far there has been some good info. This is interesting stuff if you have some Landraces to play with.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
zamalito said:
Who, me?

I am and have. I wouldn't have said what I did if I don't make landrace s ibl hybrids landrace x landrace hybrids and landrace stabilization. Though much of what I say isn't proven and could possibly be wrong I don't believe in talking about things I don't have experience with.

I understand what your saying. I'm the same way, if I don't know 100% sure then I'll state that I may be wrong. Thanks for the info you have shared. It's still helpfull.

zamalito

Veteran
Bc, it is at least when talking about tomatoes there are quite a few strains referred to as f1's that are crosses between two ibl's or heirloom varieties or any mix of the two.

zamalito

Veteran
Its sort of vague since by definition a landrace has to undergo many generations of inbreeding. Part of the problem is there's no real definition of ibl. Like someone said before some ibl's are only bred to be homozygous for one trait. If you're talking about inbreeding to the point of general stability in an indoor or temperate climate. Most landrace varieties are quite consistent in their region of origin its just that when removed the pheno's sometimes display differently. Any landrace that's commercially available should be fairly stable and consistent. The only ones I'd worry about are ones you may obtain from bagseed or obtained while traveling the region of origin.

Guest423

Veteran
nice subject, so what did i end up with when i crossed my ibl kodiak gold male to a skunk special mom? which will be more dominant, the kodiak gold since it's an ibl right? i have this cross vegging outdoors right now and just wondering what to expect when budding time comes...i made the cross myself and this is my first test.

and if anyone knows this answer i'm still wondering, kodiak gold has a lavender pheno but my 12 seeds didn't have the pheno but i bred a male to a female and got alot of seeds,do i still have a chance for that lavender pheno with the seeds i made? or did i lose the chance since i crosses 2 that didn't have the lavender in them?

sorry for adding that since it isn't thread related really but i knew you were wondering it too since you were following my other thread and maybe more breeders will check this one instead!

Reign of Terror

there would still be a chance i believe because if someone was to breed out hermies, it would take more than one generation, as it would take more than one generation to breed out the lavender pheno of KG, it would just decrease the chances by a certain percentage.

A lavender pheno KG x Skunk sounds ohhh soo delicious, great idea for a cross!

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
That does sound like a nice cross. Kodiak Gold is another IBL I'd like to work with, especially the lavender pheno.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts