What's new

Critique My Electricians Estimate

Ligyron

Put me down w/Asil and moresntoil 'cause I've been debating myself over a simular situation -- as many of us no doubt do before long. It quickly becomes apparent that we'll never get much going without getting a lot more electricity available into a much smaller area than was ever planned for with the average home. Outbuildings and commercial are another thing entirely and worth considering much beyond this.

Even at $2.50 per/ft X 100ft, that's only $250.00 plus another, let's say even $200.00 for pannel, outlets and incidentals -- that's $450.00 for top quality materials if you DIY. Check out the excellent sticky on growroom wiring in this forum -- Hell, I think even I can do that -- and if I do ... why, I'll make myself $7- 800.00; plus, I'd always know how to if I have to move or something.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hey quick threadjack:

What do you sparkies recommend for a 100A 240V service running about 300'? I'm guessing a 4-conductor #2 wire, but it needs to be direct burial too. The breaker and subpanel are already in place, the line between them got severed (and was shit anyway) and needs replacing.

Thanks!

I

Iron_Lion

Hey quick threadjack:

What do you sparkies recommend for a 100A 240V service running about 300'? I'm guessing a 4-conductor #2 wire, but it needs to be direct bury
Thanks!

Yup #2cu or 1/0 Al, any time you run in excess of 250' it is wise to up size the wire.

When you go to buy the wire at an electrical supply house just specify that you need it for direct burial, not all cables are rated for such use. Make sure you bury the wire atleast 18" deep.

Onthepoint

He gave you a price, take it or move on. As a contractor, nothing pisses me off more than a homeowner “negotiating” a quote I worked up. Most customers shop for prices and we bid knowing what the market is doing.
What are you hoping to save? $200? I can buy the cheaper materials and save a few bucks, a short cut here, a cut-corner here, and I have saved you $200 bucks. All the while I am thinking what an ass! Bet you have no problem adding a few extra for the top of the line______ or ordering the new car all tricked out.
Sure I will do the work for a few hundred less and you will never know the difference. I certainly will remember the ass who “negotiated” the cost of his grow room and tell the story often.
Do you want to hear about the local minister who asked me to install 5 eye-bolts above his bed capable of supporting 300 lbs.? Too bad, he paid full price.

hhhmmm?? people arent allowed to save money????

hhhmmm?? people arent allowed to save money????

He gave you a price, take it or move on. As a contractor, nothing pisses me off more than a homeowner “negotiating” a quote I worked up. Most customers shop for prices and we bid knowing what the market is doing.
What are you hoping to save? $200? I can buy the cheaper materials and save a few bucks, a short cut here, a cut-corner here, and I have saved you $200 bucks. All the while I am thinking what an ass! Bet you have no problem adding a few extra for the top of the line______ or ordering the new car all tricked out.
Sure I will do the work for a few hundred less and you will never know the difference. I certainly will remember the ass who “negotiated” the cost of his grow room and tell the story often.
Do you want to hear about the local minister who asked me to install 5 eye-bolts above his bed capable of supporting 300 lbs.? Too bad, he paid full price.

I somewhat see what your saying, but your assuming people can all buy that "tricked out car", well not everyone is able to pay whatever you say the price is.
I dont know about you but I live paycheck to paycheck and if saving $200 comes at the cost of you getting mad, then you wont be getting any of my money, and someone with alittle more compassion for others will.
It seems to me that you just might be one of the people that seems to think everyone owes you something, well people saving money is part of business, so get use to it.
I too am a contractor and give people deals all the time

anyone who hires a stranger to work on his illegal grow is not to smart to begin with, because there are alot of people like you out there.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
I somewhat see what your saying, but your assuming people can all buy that "tricked out car", well not everyone is able to pay whatever you say the price is.
I dont know about you but I live paycheck to paycheck and if saving $200 comes at the cost of you getting mad, then you wont be getting any of my money, and someone with alittle more compassion for others will.
It seems to me that you just might be one of the people that seems to think everyone owes you something, well people saving money is part of business, so get use to it.
I too am a contractor and give people deals all the time

anyone who hires a stranger to work on his illegal grow is not to smart to begin with, because there are alot of people like you out there.

Word! :yeahthats

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
He's high in my mind. I hire electricians 5 days a week and in most places, construction is way down and the number of electricians that are barely hanging on is very high. My electrician costs have gone down by 25% over the last 2 years just because competition is so great among electricians. They need to keep their employees working and they are taking jobs that dont pay as much just for the work.

The parts for your refit come to about 200-300$, and there is 6 hrs labor in the work.

$900 would avail a good profit for any company, 1200 is overcharge. Call around, you can do much better.

Onthepoint

By all means people are allowed to save money. All I am saying is that a first time customer is asking to have some "questionable" work done and asks me for a price. I throw him a price and he then asks me for a discount. As I said, I may give him a discount but I will still come out ahead, that is why I am in business. If you don't like the price, ask another contractor, or wait until the next job. Beating me up on the price on our first date doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Latest posts

Latest posts