What's new

Critical Mass Vert: 6 site RDWC in 4x4 tent

Buddle

Veteran
Thanks Fred! Glad to have you along for the ride. If I fuck anything up you be sure and let me know. This is all new to me, regardless of how much research I've done on the topic.

Keep it Green
MGT

It certainly seems to be agreeing with you My GreenToe :)
I got a lot out of that vertical thread list you made..thx again for that..peace BL

MyGreenToe

ok update time again

day 50 or so of 12/12

Despite all my fuckups and the fact that I can't control my environment as well as I'd like, things are comin along nicely. All trichs are clear and the budset is pretty well done. Now they just need to plump up. I started flush and will give them another 3 weeks or so, or until the trichs say cut. I know I stalled things a bit in the beginning, but even if I hadn't, 45 days my ass. Good thing I've been thinkin 70 all along!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ok that's it. Thanks for lookin!
Keep it Green
MGT

D

DHF

Bro.....It`s prolly a good thingy that you`re flushing/leaching nutrients outta the plants as we speak , cuz I see some over fert issues.........but........

Do not flush RDWC buckets , but rather the last few days to a week before chop depending on how faded the fans are , let the ppm`s dwindle down as they drink and keep swellin to as low as possible with R/O topoffs ftw till harvey......

Heath`ll be first ta tell yas he`s never flushed a plant in his life cuz it stops growth/swellage in it`s tracks......If you continue to flush with no nutrients , your nugs will refuse ta get any larger than they are now cuz they`ll go into survival mode for self-preservation.....

Just what I`ve seen over the yrs MGT.....I know those are some killer nugs wantin ta get bigger if trichs are all clear....plenty of time left for swellage ......especially if yas`re gonna run em 10 weeks.....

Never used any bloom boosters , but I`ve been told a close GrowBro on the left coast that budswell works well , just not sure yas can run the shit in RDWC....

Good luck my buddy , and gettin more sq ftg for next run`ll be a good thing...

Peace....DHF.....:ying:...

MyGreenToe

I was blazed and pretty sure I double dosed em with koolbloom last week = the burnt tips. Its all super green, thus the flush early. Its not exactly plain water now, since the system holds about 8 gallons after i empty it unless i get out the shop vac, which i didnt. So there was about 8 gallons of strong solution, plus 37 gallons of plain water. Do you think I should add a little more juice to the tank then when I refresh the res in a few days? ( my ppm meter died long ago so i cant measure it anymore).

Its been one thing after another with this grow lol. I was fighting pH rise for 3 weeks due to a shitty batch of pH up powder. Once I ran through it and went back to the liquid the rise stopped. And i've had a couple more power outtages to make me tweak out! At this point I think I'm determined to run it again just to prove to myself it can perform. I've had some shitty luck the past few years with things, gotta break outta this slump and move on up!

I'm here to learn Fred so preach on. I may not always take your advice, and I may have to learn some things the hard way with my hard head, but I still want to hear it either way! I'm twitchin to run other setups like the coco/airpots/blumats shit i been talkin about for weeks, but I think I'm gonna push this rdwc again while doin the coco thing in another room. The more the merrier before my move right? Gives me somethin to do with all the extra plants in veg anyways!

MyGreenToe

I'm always tryin to throw ya hits, but alas:
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DHF again."

D

DHF

Double dose Koolbloom explains everything....

Double dose Koolbloom explains everything....

Bro.......Gotsta keep functional meters with fast hydro setups cuz there`s too many X factors and variables that can raise or lower ph , cause lockouts and imbalances , and fuck up the whole shootin match....but.......

You`ve done Hella job so far in my book....Now get a damn combo meter......LOL.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:......

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Looking real nice MGT, doesn't look like you are going to have any larf at all. Looks like nice dense nugs everywhere, and a few bonus nugs hangin outside the screen..

I really would like to see you run that rig again, I don't think it came out too bad at all for the first run. Didn't expect the 70ish days of flower but looks like you are right by those macros.

whodare

Veteran
Bro.......Gotsta keep functional meters with fast hydro setups cuz there`s too many X factors and variables that can raise or lower ph , cause lockouts and imbalances , and fuck up the whole shootin match....but.......

You`ve done Hella job so far in my book....Now get a damn combo meter......LOL.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:......

yep, i will not grow without a proper ppm ph meter especially when i get into true hydo.... i have the bluelab combo meter, real high quality...

regardless shit looks like its rockin, good job...

MyGreenToe

Ok ok I will get a meter for next round. FWIW I do have a nice pH meter that I calibrate every other week. I jave always been a change the res once every week or two kinda guy and never found the ppm meter enormously interesting.
I have always wanted a constant monitoring meter for my res. Those bluelab units are lookin proper. I'll include one in my list of upgrades for the next round.

Thanks for stoppin through guys. I really like how the vert section here is such a strong little community. It's the first section I view every day after my user CP, cause you guys rock!

Keep it Green
MGT

D

DHF

Can`t beat bluelab equipment......The EC/TDS/PPM truncheon and portable ph meters have been in my stable for yrs and yrs.....

Nutra-dip trimeters wall mounted sittin in rez juice , and the portables for redundancy checks every couple weeks ta make sure everything`s calibrated and not driftin....up , or down.....meters that is , not solution.....

Try silicablast as a ph up substitute when yas can put it in the budget next time Bro.....Chasin ph is a bitch in hydro.....usually better just ta set it a little low and let it drift up gradually as the plants eat , then rinse and repeat...worked for me lotta yrs.......

You`ll get it right sooner than later.....guaranteed.....and yeah....nuthin wrong with a dialed coco/blumat setup either my buddy.......

After all.....as yas said......gotta do somethin with them extra plants anyways huh ?.......

Handle it Bro......DHF.....:ying:.....

MyGreenToe

Thanks Fred
I've always done my pH like that. I set it at 5.5 and let it drift up to about 6.0 before readjusting or changing. And I run silicablast, as an additive more than to raise my pH(ran out not long ago though and I'm broke right now til harvest time, ramen and tuna for me!). I always end up needing to drop my pH after adding all the parts of my mix.

Oh I forgot to mention my biggest problem of all hehehe. My carbon filter gave up the ghost on me. Came home to find my shared stairway smelled like the dankness. So I had to shut down the attic ventilation circuit and use the rest of my apartment as a lung to cool things off(doesnt work as well as the cold attic air). This took my 5-6 degree temperature swing and threw that shit out the window. It's always somethin. I'm tired of being a struggling personal grower. This harvey is going to buy some equipment to make sure the next round is gravy. Then my move will go smooth!

MyGreenToe

I guess I've been putting off concluding this thread. I have harvested, and I've been very stoned on hash ever since. Good times.

So here's how things went down. At about 58-60 days, I was taking macros, when I noticed one girl was definitely ready to be cut, while the rest wanted another week or two. So I cut the one that was ready down. While trimming it I came across a gang of nanners here and there, some open, some not, a few that had opened and dried already even. FUCK! I hate hermies. So upon close inspection, and some bud dissection, I can see there are some super tiny translucent seeds forming(grain of sand or smaller). Well aint that just my luck. Not much I could do, so I finished trimming that one girl, and left it at that till the next day. Next day comes round, and I'm in there hunting nanners as soon as the light comes on. Sure enough, I found some on 2 other girls in the foliage exposed by cutting out the other one. So at that point I said fuck it and cut em all down. They were close enough to come down, but I really would have preferred another 2 weeks on em. I wasn't willing to let the seeds develop just to get a little stonier. Whether the hermies are my own fault or are genetic, I can't say. I had issues this run, but none that I would think would cause so many nanners to show up. Sigh.

It's been long enough now that everything is just about done being burped. I'm happy to report that all the bud burns down to clean ash and I can't even find the translucent tiny tiny seeds now that it's dry(i've looked!). Yield could have been better for sure, but that was mostly my own fault and I know what I did wrong(veg longer, and use a bigger diameter screen next time). So my total was just over 240 grams. I'm not exactly thrilled, but I know its way better than I ever pulled under this 600 when I was screwin around before. The best plant was 3 oz, the runt was .5 oz, and the average was around 30 grams. It was all nice chunky buds, something thats a first for me. How nice! The only popcorn/larf was on the two plants in the back corner that I couldnt prune as well as the rest. .4gpw aint great but since it gets me past schwag and puts some loot in my pocket, I'll take it with a grin!

Lessons learned:
-do the math and determine whether or not your carbon filter needs replacing, BEFORE starting flower(and while i have the money! lol)
-veg longer!
-bigger screen for a 600w bulb(30-36" I'm thinkin)
-do the plumbing right the first time, even if it means buying parts when you coulda rigged it with stuff on hand
-if u get a bad batch of pH down, replace it right away, rather than fighting pH swing daily until it's gone
-plan a better way to prune the back plants, it's worth a couple charlie horses to be sure there's no larf
-listen to DHF more :moon:

It was a far from perfect run, but it has furthered my experience and knowledge, and it filled a few jars at least! I fear this system won't see the light of day again any time soon. My anxiety over rdwc system failure has overcome my desire to run it for now. The next run in this room will be with coco/perlite in airpots, fed by blumats, with(of course) vertical lighting. I already have some airpots(awesome stuff!), and blumats are in the mail, along with my tees from kent systems(a'la lazyman). I'm excited to go back to coco. It's a great medium!

Ok that's all for now. Maybe I'll pop back in with a few dry bud shots and macros to wrap things up on a "high" note.

Keep it Green
MGT

D

DHF

I am but the messenger MGT...You are the "Master of your own Destiny".....:moon:...LOL.....

I know you had issues Bro , but that`s what it`s all about....learning from key mistakes .....even those yas can`t control........

Hell ....I LOVED coco.....once dialed....Go rock da airpots with blumats......I`ll be over here on my bucket waitin fer yas ta dial this shit.......

Nanners suck , and most hybrid crosses by seed companies are so sensitive that hermies are very prevalent with minimal adverse conditions , even though most are sterile and rarely produce viable seed......

8 1/2 oz`s is better than no ozs my buddy....Respect for the upfront honesty most aren`t willin ta share.........You`ll be happy with the blumats.....Takes all the fun out of it once all sensors are dialed per each plant`s eating habits....

Pretty much plug and play/Set it and forget it.....

Peace....DHF.......:ying:.....

kstampy

I have over done it with kool bloom powder the last 2 runs and it produced nanners on multiple strains (all). This run is going nanner free, I cut out the kool bloom and went back to canna pk13/14. I have read about many other people having issues with overdoing the kool bloom and getting hermies, for what it's worth.

Sqydro

Beutifull grow mate, unfortunate ending , what grow space did u have there chum? I have a 4 pot urdwc farm set up just now, just eaiting on my v3 beans coming and am goodnto go