What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crickets and Cicadas seeds . Bob Hemphill

I love those sort of strains. 10 years ago I thought I'd never get them back in anything close to their original form. Seemed like everyone had moved on to The Next Big Thing. Now I'm seeing I'm not the only one who loved them, quite a few nice examples popping up over the last couple years. Looking forward to seeing how this stuff does outdoors!

On the flip side those ones represent the strains I felt originally muddied up the varieties I like!

Like Northern Lights and the mind numbing indica plants.

not that I don't like indica characteristics but seems people selected away from what I liked and it became the big thing.

q3corn

On the flip side those ones represent the strains I felt originally muddied up the varieties I like!

Like Northern Lights and the mind numbing indica plants.

not that I don't like indica characteristics but seems people selected away from what I liked and it became the big thing.

Well mr Hemphill very much prefers indicas, so that probably explains it.

Who's preserving the old sativas?

therevverend

Veteran
Who's preserving the old sativas?
Been a while since you asked this but in the last couple years the supply of tropical thin leaf varieties has greatly expanded. Ace and Cannabiogen have been doing it for a while, Tropical seeds, Snow High Seeds, Indian Landrace Exchange, off the top of my head. If you dig deeper there's a lot more. I believe there's a greater diversity of seeds available from the breeders then ever before. Of course it's not the same as in the past when every bag you bought came with seeds and there was always a chance you could get something amazing. The difference is that you had to be connected, a lot of people didn't have access to quality ganja. Now an internet search turns up all kinds of stuff for anybody to find. Including Hazes, Columbians, Mexicans, Thai, etc. Of course finding the one you remember is the tricky and probably impossible part..

Forgot about this thread, forgot about the Hemphill stuff. Had a look at his instagram site, it's looking good. The Hindu Purple Kush/Kabul Kush looks like something I need. His Silk Road (Red Lebanese Hashplant x Pacific Northwest Hashplant/Northern Lights No.1) looks and sounds too good to be true. The look and description reminds me of the best stuff from the early 90s. I've got an awesome collection of purple strains but it doesn't seem complete without a good Purple Kush.

I've only recently discovered how useful the Instagram pictures and descriptions are. The drawback is that it's difficult to work out a family tree of what's in what. I don't mean just for Crickets and Cicadas, it's that way for a lot of breeders. The only place to find examples and descriptions of their work is on Instagram but it doesn't include family trees. It takes a lot of searching to find out what all this stuff is. For instance I have no idea what 'Kabul Kush' is or what's in the 'Purple Kush'.

G

Been a while since you asked this but in the last couple years the supply of tropical thin leaf varieties has greatly expanded. Ace and Cannabiogen have been doing it for a while, Tropical seeds, Snow High Seeds, Indian Landrace Exchange, off the top of my head. If you dig deeper there's a lot more. I believe there's a greater diversity of seeds available from the breeders then ever before. Of course it's not the same as in the past when every bag you bought came with seeds and there was always a chance you could get something amazing. The difference is that you had to be connected, a lot of people didn't have access to quality ganja. Now an internet search turns up all kinds of stuff for anybody to find. Including Hazes, Columbians, Mexicans, Thai, etc. Of course finding the one you remember is the tricky and probably impossible part..

Forgot about this thread, forgot about the Hemphill stuff. Had a look at his instagram site, it's looking good. The Hindu Purple Kush/Kabul Kush looks like something I need. His Silk Road (Red Lebanese Hashplant x Pacific Northwest Hashplant/Northern Lights No.1) looks and sounds too good to be true. The look and description reminds me of the best stuff from the early 90s. I've got an awesome collection of purple strains but it doesn't seem complete without a good Purple Kush.

I've only recently discovered how useful the Instagram pictures and descriptions are. The drawback is that it's difficult to work out a family tree of what's in what. I don't mean just for Crickets and Cicadas, it's that way for a lot of breeders. The only place to find examples and descriptions of their work is on Instagram but it doesn't include family trees. It takes a lot of searching to find out what all this stuff is. For instance I have no idea what 'Kabul Kush' is or what's in the 'Purple Kush'.

He was on Adam Dunn a couple of episodes ago.
Supremely chilled individual.

Bud Jones

All his work is stellar .. Most of his gear is pre 98 Sensi stock with a few exceptions.. I talk to Graham aka Bob Hemphill frequently, he’s got some very rare cuts and a hella nice guy , he’s a librarian ... I recommend listening to his podcast for more insight on the parental stock ... He has the 98 Fairfax 4-way Cut , The real Romulan from the 70’s and many more .. Ak Bean Brains , Crickets and Cicadas, Dynasty are some of the best breeders out there ..

Newcreationorgs

No way. You got all of these?? I am envious. I would totally encourage you to make more of these and share them. Seriously some special gems that time back 30+ years.

Lolo94

Bob Hemphill also released sativa's in collaboration with Equilibrium Genetics several years ago. I got some Panama Red CBD, skunk1 x THHaze, and Old Timers Haze x Tom Hill Haze. Only grew out the Panama Red CBD.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just wanted to bump this thread and see who is working with gear from Crickets and Cicada? Bob Hemphill seems to know his way around an indica. Would love to see some more people posting what they are finding...

dank.Frank

gatts

Awesome bump Frank.

I was listening to another pot cast with Bob Hemphill and it sparked my interest.

I've got his Pterodactyl (Airbourne G13 x (NL2XNL5) on the way from James Bean.

I would have loved to have tried his Black Muddy River (Domina x PNWHP/NL1), hope BudJones made some repos.

q3corn

I have 2 Black Muddy River plants growing, at day 47F right now . The kept short, very little stretch. Big broad leaves and rich green color early on. Smells were subtle but are starting to kick in now, sweet earth with something underneath that reminds me of garlic on one of them.

IMG_20211124_095845255.jpg

BMR 3 11-29_657.jpg
IMG_20211201_134524599.jpg
IMG_20211201_134533234.jpg

Looks like they'll be done in about 3 weeks. I got cuts of these, and I have another 8 seeds left in the pack that will definitely get popped!
:joint:

Attachments

• IMG_20211124_095845255.jpg
    IMG_20211124_095845255.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 82

gatts

I have 2 Black Muddy River plants growing, at day 47F right now . The kept short, very little stretch. Big broad leaves and rich green color early on. Smells were subtle but are starting to kick in now, sweet earth with something underneath that reminds me of garlic on one of them.

Looks like they'll be done in about 3 weeks. I got cuts of these, and I have another 8 seeds left in the pack that will definitely get popped!
:joint:

That's sweet, nice to see some pics up. The old Domina cut is in perpetual here, my better half's favorite. The HP cross should make for some nice sleep meds.

RudeDog

Veteran
Two Brood X (SensiStar x Lazy Dog). Back right at 40 days and front left at 28 days. Very subtle smell at the moment, rubbery garlic. Bud pictures from 40 day plant.
20211216_163947.jpg

20211216_163923.jpg
20211216_163909.jpg

20211216_163931.jpg

Attachments

• 20211216_163947.jpg
    20211216_163947.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Latest posts