CPU Box Mother Blueberry

G

any information is greatly appreaciated

i am planning on using an old CPU to house a small mother

it is 1.7 square feet

strain
grown from seed: blueberry

organic soil

how much cfl wattage do i need to produce a healthy mother that will produce healthy clones?

i will be running one comp. fan for ventilation....is this enough?
do those cfl's produce much heat?

what kind, if they vary, of cfl light should i look for?

what kind of pot should i grow in?
drainage?
perilite?

my knowledge lies within dwc, so any info is helpful

thanks!

Trev

yepp

yepp

one large pc fan should do the trick bu aim for 2 just incase. CFLs dont give off much heat.. but nether does a low wattage HID like say and 70 watt HPS. an HPS would be perfect for that box. there about 35-40 bucks at home depot or lowes. just put up some plexi as a heat shield and your set.

pothead82

I would say 2x30w cfl would be enough. I don't agree with trev, since hps are better for the flowering period and as you said you want this case just to keep your mother plant and root some clones. You can look for the 125w envirolites blue spectrum for veg, those would be your best cost-benefit since your mother plant would be producing clones more often.

Mr_Micro

Nice lookin box!

PC cases can make really nice small scale grow boxes... if you are able to dial em in correctly that is. They can take a bit of tweaking to get just the way you want em, but I do think it's well worth the effort if stealth is your top concern. I'm running two 18"(L) x 8"(W) x 20" (H) PC cases and flowering two plants from seed in each of em with 1.5 gallon hydro organic SWC buckets & 50watt (very soon to be 70watt) HPS lights.

So if hydro is what your comfortable with and you wanna do SWC in a PC case than I say go for it... just expect to have to re-balance the PH every few days. I've been using these 1.5 gallon tubs in my setup, and at under $2 each you can't beat the price. Just paint the bottom section black or tape it up to block out the light, throw in some net pots & an air pump, and your good to go. Big enough to hold 2 plants or 8 or so clones. Unfortunately I've got a black thumb when it comes to soil though, so I can't help ya there.

For the light, if your just doing mothers and clones, I'd say go with a 70 watt metal halide light from e-conolight and just remote ballast it. Its pretty simple to do and will only set you back about $50 for the light and all the remote ballasting stuff.

Putting in a glass/plexi heatshield would probably be a worthwhile investment too. If you wanna go that route http://www.onedayglass.com/ will custom cut a piece of 3mm thick heat tempered glass to fit the exact size specs of your case for about $15. This might not be necessary, but a cool mother is a more productive mother so I'd give it a go if you can spare the cash.

For cooling the case I think the minimum you should go with would be a 50cfm or higher PC fan. I found out the hard way that those stock 25cfm PC fans that come in most cases just don't make the grade for cooling a 70 watt bulb. But one or two (preferably two) 50+cfm fans should do the trick for ya. You can pick up a wide variety of fans (most of which are under $5 each) at www.newegg.com . The one other thing to look for in your fan choice is the noise level. If your trying to go maximum stealth with your PC case then your probably going to want to try and keep the noise level under 35 dBA. If you look around you can find some 50cfm fans that only put out 19 dBA but they're a bit more expensive ($18 each or so). Otherwise if noise isn't a problem then by all means pick up a 100cfm fan with a 55 dBA noise level. But be aware that you probably won't be able to sleep in the same room with the case due to the noise.

Wow... I just rambled a whole crapload for only my second post here :eek:

But yeah, hope that helps you out man. Good luck with the Blueberry! I got some True Blueberry in one of my cases and even though they're only seedlings still they seem to be lovin the SWC.

Last edited:
G

So musch information in such a short time!
Thanks everybody

Trev,

I think I will shoot for 2 fans instead of one
But I am slightly confused on where exactly the heat shield would go?

UmphreyMcgee420,

The seeds are from BC Bud Depot
Feminized Original Blueberry
I have no clue how reputable the genetics are
So any insight into that would be nice!

Pothead82,

Thanks for the insight into the blue light instead of yellow/orange since this setup is
Purely for veg

Mr Micro,

Tons of helpful info
But as stated above, im still confused on where exactly that heat shield goes?

Made me rethink using soil over hydro
But I just want the most carefree setup available
Able to produce decent clones without much maintenance

So im thinking soil
Or possibly a soiless organic medium

Growinontario,

Thanks for stopping by!

Heres 4 of the berrys on day 1 of flower
A growth spurt is already noticeable

very bushy so a mom will produce some nice clones

G

Finally got that SOB gutted
took forever..............

its close to being done, just need a door of some sort that gives me access

anyways here is the grow box with a little mylar in place.......

and the mom to be...........

humidity dome.....

rooting solution......

this baby should be rooted in about 2-3 more days and then into the box for veg time!

G

pothead82,

thanks for checking up on me

well, she took 16 days to show it, but here is a nice healthy root protruding from the bottom of the rockwool

today she is going into her own tiny bubbler system which consists of the black cover in the picture and a tupperware container......

since I need clones a little sooner than expected, I opted hydro over soil

these guys have been in a bubble cloner for only 8 days
I have found my new cloning method!

well I'm still waiting on a hurricane glass lamp, had to special order a couple

so not much progress has been made on the box

comments/questions/concerns?

pothead82

Very nice you find your favorite method for cloning, most people take a little longer to find out which way they like to clone.
I'm glad your Blueberry Mom is doing fine! I also really like what you did with the PC case with mylar. I am planning on doing one just like that but I'll be flowering my lady in there using a 70w HPS. Do you think there is enough space for thta in those server cases??
I'll be checking this topic closely :joint:
good luck on your setup!

Saabotage

brand said:
how much cfl wattage do i need to produce a healthy mother that will produce healthy clones?

i will be running one comp. fan for ventilation....is this enough?
do those cfl's produce much heat?

what kind, if they vary, of cfl light should i look for?

what kind of pot should i grow in?
drainage?
perilite?

my knowledge lies within dwc, so any info is helpful

thanks!

1. I use 2 42watt cfls. I'm thinking of adding a 3rd. I would go for warm white if choosing between the two.
2. No, I use 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust.
(my system)
intake: (1) regular computer fan. (1) 120mm fan (with ball bearings)
exhaust (1) powersupply fan (1) regular computer fan.

The 120mm size one really really helped my grow, Might sqitch them all out eventually. The cfls produce enough heat to make me uncomfortable.

As a side note I hooked a computer power supply up by splicing the black and green wire on the main set of wires on the power supply together. all the computer fans work when pluged into the powersupply then.

3. what kind of pot should i grow in?

I use plastic 2 pound foldgers coffee cans.

4. drainage?

Lots.

5. perilite?

Yes.

G

pothead82,

definitely enough room to flower a lady in these cases
and a 70 watt hps is perfect, I wish I had one.....
but as you can see above, Mr. Micro points out you need some power to cool a 70 watt HID.........so be weary if the space is too small

Saabotage,

Thanks for all the info!
But I've actually covered almost all aspects of the grow by now....
But one question, what is the area, square footage, of your grow space?
Since 2 42 watt cfls is exactly what I've got in mind.....I already have one

grow

R

Reinhold

sorry I dont want to steal your thread but I have two flourecent? lights one 26 watts and the other 15 and have a relatively small mother plant and was wondering if these two lights would be sufficient enough to keep her alive? I only plan on using her every two months for one maybe two clones at the very most so would these lights be enough for that? Thanks and once again I dont mean to be jackin ur thread man.

Saabotage

brand said:
pothead82,

definitely enough room to flower a lady in these cases
and a 70 watt hps is perfect, I wish I had one.....
but as you can see above, Mr. Micro points out you need some power to cool a 70 watt HID.........so be weary if the space is too small

Saabotage,

Thanks for all the info!
But I've actually covered almost all aspects of the grow by now....
But one question, what is the area, square footage, of your grow space?
Since 2 42 watt cfls is exactly what I've got in mind.....I already have one

grow

my square foot is 17.5" x 7.5"= .91 sq./ft = 0.08 sq./meter
my pc cab is 17.5" x 7.5" x 20"= 1.51 cubic/ft = 0.042 cubic/meter

if that awnsers your question....... though all my math may be absolutly wrong....... :p

I think I need (3) 42w for flowering in a PC cab. Trust me though flower early till you get used to the strain. THSeeds bubble gum streatched double it's leangth.

G

Reinhold,

jackin my thread?
what is you talkin bout?

no man perfectly cool!
I'm sure this is a question many will benefit from, including me
I have heard 30 - 40 watts percubic foot for vegetation is ok
So depending on the size of your box, that should be fine........
especially if your'e only cutting every two months.....

Saabotage,

Thanks for the dimensions!
If I were flowering in this, I would definitely pick up another cfl, but happily I have a larger space, so I should be ok with just 2 for veg..........?

Saabotage

brand said:
Reinhold,

jackin my thread?
what is you talkin bout?

no man perfectly cool!
I'm sure this is a question many will benefit from, including me
I have heard 30 - 40 watts percubic foot for vegetation is ok
So depending on the size of your box, that should be fine........
especially if your'e only cutting every two months.....

Saabotage,

Thanks for the dimensions!
If I were flowering in this, I would definitely pick up another cfl, but happily I have a larger space, so I should be ok with just 2 for veg..........?

if a larger space then a pc server. I would go for 1 to 2 more cfls.

Latest posts

Latest posts