What's new

cover crop/raised bed help

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds good to me, just let it rot now.

and yes it will shrink some. i would keep composting on the side, and when the beds are ready mix the compost with some sand and fill to an inch from the top then plant. and possibly mulch on top of that.

J

JackTheGrower

You should follow your heart. Humans are a part of nature and we have intuition.

I am not sure on the card board if it is not cut up but given Greens that brown will function.

Post about your experiences and feel free to ask me anything. I'll try to contribute.

Puffster

so what can be a good cover crop for "extreme" climates like 60deg north? We often get snow and -12c weather during december-early march

would love to be able to use something local but I dont know which plants to use, anyone with the experience of the northern fauna wanna chime in? :)

mefistyou

I appreciate all the help and guidance. I definitely will be picking your brain, along with continuing to read and learn. I know I have just scratched the surface and have just a tiny grasp of what I am doing lol and that is probably more dangerous than anything. lol

I am kinda experimenting in a couple other spots in my yard. I have an area behind my barn that gets overrun with huge weeds every year. I cut them all down awhile ago (wish I had identified them first), and today laid a couple layers of newspaper down with just a little bit of compost. Gonna add some layers to it over the fall when I cut the grass and stuff, and then thats going to be my "beneficial weed garden" next year (stuff like nettles, comfrey, yarrow, chamomile ect).....just curious how this no effort lasagna garden area will look next year compared to my raised beds that got a LOT more attention....we will see