What's new

Could you eliminate soil insects (R. Aphids) using electricity?

Wiscoregon

Greetings, so I was hoping you all could give me some help and suggestions. I need a few heads on this.

I've been at battle with flying Root Aphids (or something a lot like it) for a while now, probably more than a year. Up until now, all efforts have not succeed in eliminating the problem it (they) always return. I've come to a point in my growing tenure that I just categorically refuse to use toxic chemicals in my sacred herb. My impression is, all other known organic strategies (neem seed meal, diam earth, various sprays, sticky traps, hot water dunks, misquito dunks, etc etc etc) more often than not fail at eliminating the pest.

I started brainstorming and starting thinking about forces I could treat the soil with without harming the plants. That's when I thought of electricity as a potential tool to harness that seems currently untapped. I began to imagine ways of zapping the dirt. My thought was, drench, or maybe even dunk the pots in water (soil coir blend) and take a small bug zapper, say 15-20 watts and bring it into contact with the water inhabiting the pots so the current goes through it. Apply it long enough that you kill the bugs (maybe their larvae and eggs) leaving the plant itself unharmed. Is this a sense worthy idea? Is there the potential I electrocute myself applying the bug zapper to the wet pots (My thought was if it was only putting out 20 watts its probably pretty safe). Now assuming it works, how long do you apply it to kill the bugs, and leave the plants unharmed? Would it kill the plants? It seems like an idea worth investigating...What other considerations am I missing? Would the pot need to be off the ground or grounded for it to work?

Perhaps there's another means of running a current through the wet pots I haven't considered? Taser? Would love anyone's input / ideas on this.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
At the risk of stating the obvious, ID first, then create a remediation plan or experiment with said electrocution.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I have to say props for thinking outside of the box. I can't say one way or the other if it will work or not. But please post any and all results you come up with as I'm definitely intrigued.

al70

Veteran
Easy to experiment with a couple o male plants and a car battery, a set of jump leads with a couple o probes on the end to push into the medium, put a switch on the live cable, just give it pulses, the metals in the nutes should make it interesting, goodluck

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Your bug zapper may operate on a few watts, but what is the voltage that induced that sizzling blue spark? Be careful, your heart works on an electric circuit too. Maybe the zapper works similar to a mechanical automobile ignition system where voltage is radically bumped up in the coil, stored in the coil and a capacitor, and then released as a spark when the point gap closes enough. Don't know how such a thing would work across a diffuse body of soil or water containing roots.

You'd probably want enough salts in the root bath to conduct current. Exterminators can use high voltage current to eliminate pockets of termite infestation. It's an old and common practice to use soil probes connected to house current to force nightcrawlers to the surface for fish bait. You'd better know what you're doing though. There's the potential for this to go wrong in a big way. Maybe run the system off a car battery?

al70

Veteran
Yeah a coil will kick ye like a horse, when we were kids the salmon used to gather in a pool before they went up the weir, car battery with jumpers attached,, weeks wages,,

al70

Veteran
id love to see if energizing the soil at all would help the plant grow better lol... love to see an experiment with r aphid plants and healthy plants.. see if there is any benefits.. and id do diff amounts per container to see which is the best to use lol..

not a bad idea... but if we figure shit out like this.. we could setup a few solar panels to strictly energize the soil LOL

yeah or a few small wind turbines lol ��

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Yeah a coil will kick ye like a horse, when we were kids the salmon used to gather in a pool before they went up the weir, car battery with jumpers attached,, weeks wages,,

That's right. Fisheries biologists use electric shock to sample fish populations in streams. It's bad for the fish though. The shock causes muscles to contract involuntarily, and the fish break vertebrae. But this might be the technology to use. They can dial it up or down to suit their purpose.

al70

Veteran
It doesn't work if you throw a battery in on it's own, attach the cables and up they come, dunno why, broken vertebrae, didn't know that but explains why some o the small ones couldn't jump the weir.

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
It's probably not as bad of an idea as this young lady had. Most likely the same result. Yo ass is going to get burned.

Attachments

• bottlerocket ass.jpg
    bottlerocket ass.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 20

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
It's important to take into account voltage and current. A car battery will only be 12 volts but looootttttssss of amperage. I'm sure you are going to want to go for a next to nothing current and higher voltage.

Granger2

Veteran
I think Crusader keeps nailing answers. Also, Al70. Be very careful is all I can say. Some form of this is very interesting with great potential. Keep us informed. Thanks. -granger

Latest posts

Latest posts