What's new

Could use some help with diagnosis

drater919

Hello all,

2 plants, was planning to switch to flower soon but problems are becoming worse. Leaves on sativa plant are yellowing in new growth and folding. Indica is having all sorts of problems lol. The soil is an organic living soil mix. Perhaps it's over fertilized? Thanks for any suggestions or help :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78

xet

They mostly look excellent. Can you increase the airflow for them by fan or defoliation.

drater919

Plant looks to be well fed on the N part, but maybe lacking some Fe.
yeah they have enough N that's for sure lol. maybe i'll get some iron
They mostly look excellent. Can you increase the airflow for them by fan or defoliation.
thanks man but there's definitely something wrong haha. i actually just defoliated them though. hopefully that helps. you think it could be excess temps?

Reactions: xet

xet

yeah they have enough N that's for sure lol. maybe i'll get some iron

thanks man but there's definitely something wrong haha. i actually just defoliated them though. hopefully that helps. you think it could be excess temps?
I think a little more cowbell, a little more fan is all

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
pH a bit high? You may of aided N while hindering Fe. Though that's not the entire story.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When using organic living soil mix you will release nutrients every time you add water. If your pH rises from using the "wrong water pH", the top of the plants will start to turn yellow. When I use organic living soil mix, I only use pure water and allow the top of the soil dry before watering again. An over-fed organic living soil plant is caused by overwatering and releasing too many nutrients at one time. . 😎

drater919

When using organic living soil mix you will release nutrients every time you add water. If your pH rises from using the "wrong water pH", the top of the plants will start to turn yellow. When I use organic living soil mix, I only use pure water and allow the top of the soil dry before watering again. An over-fed organic living soil plant is caused by overwatering and releasing too many nutrients at one time. . 😎
yep i figured it was overfertilized a bit given how dark some of the leaves are. on another site people recommended keeping it watered well though, a couple suggested it could be high pH caused by hydrophobic pockets in the growing medium. might try some yucca and lemon juice to hydrate and lower pH. what do you think? BTW i've basically been using pure water, either distilled or spring water, along with some compost extract for microbes.

also should mention the soil mix is basically a coot/buildasoil mix

I see nothing wrong. Maybe your standards are much higher than mine.
it's probably just poor lighting, the tops are definitely yellowing xD

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hello all,

2 plants, was planning to switch to flower soon but problems are becoming worse. Leaves on sativa plant are yellowing in new growth and folding. Indica is having all sorts of problems lol. The soil is an organic living soil mix. Perhaps it's over fertilized? Thanks for any suggestions or help :)
It looks like a high pH/zinc deficiency/lockout problem. The twisted leaves, the fact that the tops are affected and the blueish tint of the leaves would point to zinc deficiency/lockout.

Non-mobile nutrients are locked out at a high pH.

Also, zinc is locked out by too much phosphorus or iron.

drater919

It looks like a high pH/zinc deficiency/lockout problem. The twisted leaves, the fact that the tops are affected and the blueish tint of the leaves would point to zinc deficiency/lockout.

Non-mobile nutrients are locked out at a high pH.

Also, zinc is locked out by too much phosphorus or iron.

thanks for the advice. would lemon juice help lower pH? also, how about foliar feeding with zinc sulfate?

Mattbho

Before you go fucking around with piss n lemons let's get the entire story.

All I see is slight overwatering way too close to a high power led . How many true watts are blasting on those? Also looking like upping rh will do way more for them than fertilizer.

For starters i would back off the light ,stop with magic potions made in a bucket(tea) and up the rh . But that's just a shot in the dark.

There used to be a 50 question page that covered all the basics but we need way more info to make a correct diagnosis. 😉

They could be sitting on a cold concrete floor in plastic bags . grown with flashlights in a 20%rh environment.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
thanks for the advice. would lemon juice help lower pH? also, how about foliar feeding with zinc sulfate?
That depends:

- what have they been fed?
- what water are you using - EC and pH would be good to know.
- what is the pH and EC/PPM of the runoff?
- what is the soil mix?

Outside of coco or hydroponics I'm not a big fan of using pH down. For instance in coco coir, where the pH is naturally about 6.0, the liquid feed having the same pH as the medium prevents pH swings.

In organics, if you keep the nutrients around 7.0, you'll be fine most of the time.

drater919

Before you go fucking around with piss n lemons let's get the entire story.

All I see is slight overwatering way too close to a high power led . How many true watts are blasting on those? Also looking like upping rh will do way more for them than fertilizer.

For starters i would back off the light ,stop with magic potions made in a bucket(tea) and up the rh . But that's just a shot in the dark.

There used to be a 50 question page that covered all the basics but we need way more info to make a correct diagnosis. 😉

They could be sitting on a cold concrete floor in plastic bags . grown with flashlights in a 20%rh environment.
That depends:

- what have they been fed?
- what water are you using - EC and pH would be good to know.
- what is the pH and EC/PPM of the runoff?
- what is the soil mix?

Outside of coco or hydroponics I'm not a big fan of using pH down. For instance in coco coir, where the pH is naturally about 6.0, the liquid feed having the same pH as the medium prevents pH swings.

In organics, if you keep the nutrients around 7.0, you'll be fine most of the time.
haha, i know. sorry was kinda lazy writing everything out. not a total beginner, just haven't grown for a long time so pretty rusty. anyways

soil is basically a coots mix/buildasoil clone, pumice, rice hulls, peat moss, EWC/compost, a little clay. then oyster flour, fish bone meal, alfalfa, kelp, gypsum, and basalt were added in quantities similar to coots/buildasoil. the soil was mixed years ago, used for one grow, since then has been sitting in bins. used some tm-7,fishbonemeal, SST last grow(years ago).

reamended with fish meal, fish bone meal. after nutrient deficiencies appeared i added gypsum as a top dress. also added fresh, high quality EWC and compost while mixing.

RH usually around 55% lights off, 40% lights on. temps around 73 off, 79-83 on. no worries about it ever getting cold, but yeah it might be too close to the HPS

been adding some yucca and lemon juice the last few waterings. either using distilled or spring water, around 200 ppm pH 7

shoulda just gotten a soil test done but i cheaped out. also the plants have doubled in size so i might upload some new pics

drater919

alright, so runoff is 7.4 pH and 3400 ppm lol, but I read it's common to have high ppm runoff from water only coot type mixes. definitely some micro lockout xD

should i try and lower pH to 6.5ish?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
alright, so runoff is 7.4 pH and 3400 ppm lol, but I read it's common to have high ppm runoff from water only coot type mixes. definitely some micro lockout xD

should i try and lower pH to 6.5ish?
I would just flush with a solution of 6.5 pH and 200 ppm of high PK flowering solution and 50 ppm Epsom Salt, until the runoff is just below 7.0. I know it's an organic grow, however the microbes don't mind a single application at a low nutrient concentration. The high P encourages more root growth.

Because otherwise, the plants look great.

---------------------------------------------

Also, if you're into supersoils, the next step is using compost. Most of the nutrients a plant needs to grow are in the finished plant. And you can always add foodscraps to the top, which make for excellent fertilizer.

With that much organic fertilizer around, 3400 PPM is too high even for supersoil, what are really needed are some fermented sugars, to stimulate the microbes to process them.

Also, people should germinate and sprout/microgreen hempseeds (really, the seeds of that plant species) for fermentation. With foliar application once every 2 weeks, they make for a complete fertilizer from germination through early flowering, especially combined with compost or supersoil.

Mattbho

. If they are rocking now I would just continue with water . Sounds like it took a bit for the top dress to kick in . Get some humidity in there the plants will reward you .

Just a personal preference , food scraps bring bugs( ie fruit flies and fungus gnats). i don't want anywhere near my smoke. sticky buds act like fly paper .

I regularly use malted barley before and after the grow same idea as sprouted seeds

Latest posts

Latest posts