What's new

Could someone confirm a problem

bobman

This must have started last run. When I harvested last time I noticed the roots did not look a white as usual. They looked white with a grey or brown tint. Yield did not seem affected but some thing was not right.

Fast forward to today. I have one flower room at 7 weeks and another at 4. The plants look beatiful and conditions are great but the bud formation is not what I am used to with this strain. the 7 week room looks like it is going to need at least 4 more weeks and it usually could be taken at 9 but I go 10. These plants also seemed to stretch more and have more spindly branches also the stalk is not as thick as I remember. Well, needless to say the 4 week room looks to be following the same path.

I have narrowed it down to 2 things. I have not been cleaning the old roots out of my perlite good enough before I reuse and its causing a rot of some kind or root aphids.

I just spent the last hour digging in one 5 gallon bucket about half way down and I did find 2 brownish very small crawling bugs. But they got squashed the minuter i touched them. I assume they could be aphids but I thought I would find a lot more. And the roots had that brownish grayish tint to them still white but not like in the past.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,

Bobman

ps I grow in a all perlite hempies

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Insight? Into what?

Buddy you need to give some more details about your setup.
What lights? How far from the canopy?

Feeding regime?

pH?

I sure hope this isn't one of those plants that's been watered to sustain it for 2 weeks?

bobman

ha ha fuck u. environment perfect well i guess not perfect. its one of those 2 problems or a combo. i am just dreading to hear aphids but i think thats whats up.

Marick23

Cut a potato in half throw it root side down next to your stem wait 2 - 3 hours check it. If you have aphids they will be all over the potato.

Last edited:

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
man I came to hydro section to get away from your pompous ass.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

You outta know that ya can't hide that easily...

I didn't even realize the thread was in the Hydro forum, I just saw the title asking for a somebody to confirm a problem.

But you already know that anybody else is gonna ask for the same information.

I also want to apologize for my responses sounding "pompous", as that certainly isn't the intent.

My intent is to give accurate, concise information, advice, and suggestions to those who need it.

Now... Isn't there a way to block members and their posts in the forums so that we don't have to read their rhetoric?

bobman

i know man no hard feelings the typed word is had to decipher some times. i apologize as well. now do u think this is aphids because thats what i think. the plants just look so good but i can tell yield is going to reduced this time. I hope not potency. The seven week room smells so good.

w2008

hi bobman, sounds like ra, especially if you found a few. i had the same prob in rockwool slabs. plants looked great, yeilded less than half the usual though. i gave them more root zone air and a bigger dry out period between waterings. i used a liquid product called confidor, a few drops in the res and looks to be doing the job, imid. cheers oz

highonmt

Veteran
mg deficiency...lil bit of interveinal chlorosis, low yeilds, popcorn buds die and turn to brown wisps... they are THE worst bug. I would avoid imidocloroprid, Imid, products if you are in bloom. There are a lot of solutions if you search 'winged aphid' you'll find a monster thread on the subject. I hope it is something else cause it takes some serious effort to eliminate them from a grow. I finally shut down chucked everything that could'nt be dunked in alcohol and and built a new room.

We finally broke the lease on a warehouse we were using for our coop cause we couldn't get rid of them and we literally spent close to 5grand fighting them they suck and will lay eggs anywhere that is damp...so keep after them or they will be back. I was able to beat them in our other facility but we had the option of 10000 ppm of co2 from the bulk tank which killed em dead and we kept up pesticide treatments in veg for another 2 months to be sure they were gone. I really hate to think of how much product these little bugs cost us over a year.

bobman

Man i have read the horror stories. I am not looking forward to this fight. For fucks sake I have enough problems with white flies.

bobman

Do these things kill potency too? Plants look great buds smell nice and are covered in trichs but I took a quick check with the scope today and the trichs did not seem right. I hope it was my imagination.

highonmt

Veteran
Man i have read the horror stories. I am not looking forward to this fight. For fucks sake I have enough problems with white flies.

white flies would be a pleasure...did you try the tater trick yet, if not do it.

bobman

I am going to the store in an hour. Just spent an 30 minutes digging in the other flower room. I cant see anything in there, but the roots look off white and sad. The plant looks fine but yield is going to suffer and plants take longer. I did find a fungus gnat in the veg room. I see nothing besides some white flies flying around or stuck in the sticky traps.

bobman

the bugs I found yesterday looked more like Symphilids or centipeds. I don not think they were Symphilids because of color. I only found one larvae looking thing on the rim of the bucket it looked like a brown/tan leach.

bobman

OK, I did the potato. Left it in for about 3 hours. When I pulled it up there were 4 or 5 small bugs on it. I did not get to observe them well on the potato but I did stare at my perlite for a while and got a little glimpse here and there. These things are grayish and very small. They pop up and then go back down and they move pretty good. They have antenna and there body seems have ridges(centipede like) and they are also thin but I could not tell how many legs they have. I trying to rule things out so I do not think these are aphids but I heard they have so many different stages. I did just find a full grown dead gnat in my veg room but I have seen no flying insects besides the white flies and there are no other bugs in my sticky traps. Anybody have a clue I was thinking symphylans was the closet thing but there are some inconsistencies there too. If you are not sure maybe you could rule out gnats and aphids for me. I replanted the potato and I will pull it again in the morning.

bobman

I dont know what these this are. They jump like feas. just had one jump from the potato to my arm about 8 inches away. They are small I am having trouble identifying anything about them. I will post more in while once I get to study them somemore.

Duplicate

Most species have an abdominal, tail-like appendage, the furcula, that is folded beneath the body to be used for jumping when the animal is threatened. It is held under tension by a small structure called the retinaculum and when released, snaps against the substrate, flinging the springtail into the air. All of this takes place in as little as 18 milliseconds.[8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springtail

Latest posts

Latest posts