What's new

Costs seem to be higher than I expected for lights

F

Fred el Gato

You can get a 1000watter at hydrowholesale for less than 200, but you want to keep the ballast out of your room, that puppy gets hot.This is a complete package non-a/c hood and bulb. Have had mine going on 2yrs with no issues. Also have ordered from htgsupply with no problems, a 400 magnetic package, and recently 2 600 digis for 200 each. Grow on, Fred

Last edited:

RedReign

I was checking out http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/customkititems.asp?kc=HLHPS10SS2&eq= , I am too broke to buy a digital ballast I have realized with all the other costs I have coming in too. Which ballast would you go with out of the couple I have to select from? I have made attempts to look at information on the brands but can't find anything but links for more shit they are selling. Valuline, Harvest Sun, Crop master are the three brands, adding a lumatek is 190$, 190$ is gonna buy my ac unit and a small fan so just tips on magnetic ballasts is where I am at. Thank in advance and thanks for all the responses I received so far, wasn't expecting it at all.

I have 4 of those Valueline 1k ballasts. They've been working good for nearly 3 years now.

catterkang

Yeah, I have made the decision to buy the valuline 1k package from bettergrowhydro.com. I was thinking about buying a fan from the place too but I can't seem to find any fair priced inline fans with enough cfm to cool the hood. I am going to have the ballast in my garage, the room I am in is connected directly to it. I am going to be pulling the air from the light into the garage as well. I have read on here I need around 500 cfm to effectively cool a 1k light, I don't quite understand the concept very well though. Maybe it's because I am uneducated grower but do I pull air from the room I am cooling with my ac unit through the light and out of the room, or do I pull air from a source outside of the grow room? The only problem with sucking air anywhere from the cool grow room is the 90 degree weather outside, so I feel my only option is air conditioned air through the light.

I found this booster fan http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=AEFSC12&eq=&Tp= though, I was wondering if this would be good enough to craft myself a carbon filter out of. I know this thing is huge at 12 inches and I could definitely buy smaller, just give me a heads up. I am going to build a carbon filter myself, I shouldn't have any problems with that since I am crafty person, I just need to find a fan that can do the job. I know it is built as a booster fan but it is just so damn cheap that if I could make it work, it would really save some $. I will pulling air outside through this directly outside or possibly into the garage as well, haven't decided. Anyways, I have rambled enough for one post, hope to get some feedback, thanks for your help and effort to help this new guy out.

Bunz

I run a 6" CAP Valueline fan (465 cfm) and it keeps my lights cool enough to where I can actually touch the glass. Also pulls thru a Can 66 carbon filter. Don't know where you got the info that you need 500 cfm's to cool a 1k, but there's many who have done it with far less.

Bunz :D

catterkang

Yeah, I don't remember but the outside temperatures where I live average 90-100 degrees so overkill on ventilation would be a good thing.

Dude My Local Hydro Store sales kits pretty cheap. All Name brand stuff, NO KNOCK OFFS. Magnetic starter kit starting at 200. That's a ballast, hood and a bulb, 1000w. For $50 more you can get an air cooled hood.