What's new

Correct height of lights?

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
You do know the function of a radiator correct?

Yes, im pretty sure.

Aircooled/Ducted Horizontal hoods are very, very effective at retaining and removing the heat(much like a radiator) from a grow space.

Radiators are designed to REMOVE heat, not retain it, You do know the function of a radiator correct?

Nothing made of thin metal (like a hood) is going to be good at retaining heat. It is going to radiate a substantial amount of heat, even if it is air cooled. That is why they have insulation wraps for some hoods.:tiphat: The insulation helps RETAIN the heat, so it can be sucked out with the air.

Grow how you damn well please. Just dont tell me a radiator is for retaining heat.

i did the calculations in this thread. The thread is about insulating a hood.

My (now idle) Sunspot 6 reflector measures 19 3/4" x 21" x 8 3/4"
image.aspx

The top is flat, that is the 19.75 x 21 ( = 414.75)
the sides are 8 3/4" by 21" ( = 183.75)

so together that is 414.75 + 183.75 + 183.75 = 782.25 square inch metal radiator in your grow environment.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I swapped to LED's last week, took all my heat radiators out of the budroom.
Now the room won't get up to 80 degrees and I am putting an HID back inbetween the LED's just so it will radiate some heat into the grow, the sun is not cold either and it works just fine.

I do not understand why people are so critical of methods they do not use personally. Perhaps it is lack of understanding on their part, "this works so nothing else possibly could."

Odd thinking to say the least.

Grow how you damn well please. Just dont tell me a radiator is for retaining heat.

So what you are saying through all your ranting is that you still don't understand how radiators work and their purposes? Take a look at the first 3 lines of wikipedia when search "Radiator".

Seriously though, no reason to get so butthurt and offended. I understand you like vertical growing, more power to you man, whatever works for you. Coming in here and saying "Fuck horizontal growing!!!!" makes you look extremely ignorant however.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
im sorry i started with you, o wait, i didnt.

I just posted how far my bulbs were from my plants, and presented relevant information regarding vertical vs horizontal.

Im not insulting you by saying youre "butthurt" or "i love people like you", im just posting facts and correcting your mistakes.

The car radiator is made to radiate the heat from the engine. It is used to prevent the engine from RETAINING the heat. The Radiator is made of thin metal, just like a hood, because thin metal RADIATES heat very well.

The radiator is located outside the engine, while the hood sits inside the growing environment.

-

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Radiator may also be an automotive term now, but its meaning has been reduced for that purpose.

In the context of growing plants, comparing car engine second stage heat radiators to growlight reflectors will generally get derision rather than a reasoned answer.
Similar to 'Oranges travel wind while radio apple apple.' It does not compute, even though it mentions fruits twice.

Your attitude does make it difficult to leave it at "the context is not correct for your information to be correct."

I don't even have a dog in this fight, but I find my intelligence insulted and guess I must be grumpy from lack of sleep.

SacredBreh

Remote thermometer.... is the trick

Remote thermometer.... is the trick

I hang a remote thermometer from my hood that is attached to the hood connections. I move it down over time until the temp reads no greater than 85f. Then as you move the hood up and down I make sure my thermometer stays at the canopy but not shaded. You can buy a base thermometer station and three remotes with temp and humidity... it is nice ... I put one at about a foot from the ceiling, one on the hood like I said and one setting at the base of the plant. Usually have one with a wire sensor dipped into my reservoir too because I run DWC.

Without even entering my room I can get a pretty good over all idea of what is going on in the room. Some have alert settings too so that an alert goes off at the base station by the bed if any parameters are exceeded. Can alert you to problems ahead of time before any damage or disasters such as a fan, exhaust fan, hood exhaust fan not kicking on.

Phaeton-- I have one set up right now with six--600w HPS in air cooled hoods with 8in ports and 8in insulated ducting with a 10 in Vortex running at 50% speed exhausting all six in a line. My laser temp shows them at 70f on all parts of the metal in a 74f degree room so the hoods are actually cooler than the room. Many times the colas touch the class with no ill effects and that means they are about 3 in from the light itself. On 1000w in the same hood I have to leave about 12 in from the light or 8in from the glass... not because of heat but the light intensity any closer causes bleaching of the colas... not burning where crispy or dead but the green parts actually turn almost completely white from light intensity.

Hope this helps....:tiphat:

Peace

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
My laser temp shows them at 70f on all parts of the metal in a 74f degree room so the hoods are actually cooler than the room.

Your hoods are cooler than your room? Wow id love to see those readings.

The room im sitting in is 70F. The chair im sitting on is 70F, the table im looking at is 70F, the floor might be slightly cooler, but everything sitting in the room is 69-71f.

Except for the tv, and the lamp, which both have bulbs in them (that give off heat). The Tv is warmer and the lamp shade is warmer than the room.

Would love to know how youve have gotten light bulbs to cool a hood colder than the room they are in?

(Even if yourve venting the hot air back into the room, the room wont be warmer than the hoods. Its not possible.)

I think i give up. Hope someone with a basic understanding of heat transfer will chime in.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
COOL TIPS- Air Cooled Light Example-LOWER GROW ROOM TEMP
Here is a video of exactly what im talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGLl-144GfI

--------------------
Here is a product to buy. (i made one myself out of an 'attic ladder' insulation kit.)

134241.jpg

The REFLECTOR HEAT SHIELD is a sturdy, custom-fitted cover that double insulates your existing air-cooled hood against the heat your lights generate. With the REFLECTOR HEAT SHIELD, less heat escapes into your room and is instead contained within your hood to be better carried away by your existing air-cooling. This results in a cooler environment, happier plants and energy savings from increased A/C efficiency.

- 95% REFLECTIVE EXTERIOR
- SAVES MONEY AND ENERGY
- HEAVY DUTY INSULATING MATERIAL
CUSTOM FIT TO YOUR REFLECTORS
- REDUCES YOUR GROW ROOM TEMPERATURE
- MAXIMIZES COOLING SYSTEM EFFICIENCY
- REDUCES AIR FLOW NOISE
- SOFT, DURABLE AND MACHINE WASHABLE
- STRONG, HIGH QUALITY CONSTRUCTION
- MADE IN THE USA

Item Specifications
Part Number: 134241
Universal Product Code: 638104001830
Manufacturer: Hydrofarm
Manufacturer's Part Number: HSRD6
Dimensional Weight: 1.078 lbs

AKA your thin metal hood is a huge radiator of heat back into your growroom. Here is a product designed to negate that FACT.

The only downside to using them is they MUST be air cooled. They trap TOO MUCH heat and will fry the bulb if not air cooled.

-

A Radiator also helps to keep the motor operating at the right tempature. Too hot and you loose power and can blow a headgasket. Too cold the motor is sluggish and slow and makes less power.
There are many ways to build a car and many ways to grow? Is a Turbo better Nitrous Oxide, or a supercharger? All have their positivies and negatives.
Turbo...Free power but creates lots of heat and have to wait for boost.
Supercharger...No boost lag, but robs power from crank!
Nitrous...power at the bush of a button...Not always on like a turbo or a supercharger. But you are constantly purchasing bottles....

so many ways to skin a cat....open bulb...hoods....hoods no glass...air cooled...water cooled.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I'm with ya Freedomfightr,

I drive a Chevy and Ford suck.
I grow horizontal and vertical sucks.
I date brunettes 'cause redheads suck. No no, wait, that is good.
Now I gotta rethink the first two.

And if the cooling air blowing through the inside the hood is cooler than the ambient air outside the hood...not rocket science. The devil is in the details.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts