What's new

Cops have new device that reads and records every license plate they pass

OldPork

Yep it's true. Police departments all over are now outfitting vehicles with license plate reading cameras that read and record every license plate they pass. The scanners then match your plate up to a list of wanted plates and when it makes a "hit", they get you. The cameras are normally mounted on each side of the car so that it reads both oncoming traffic and parked car license plates. Normally they are mounted on each side of the trunk. They work both day and night. Here's what they look like and how they work. These LPR cameras are pretty recognizable when they are mounted on a cop car, so you'll know when your local cops are using them. HEADS UP

Asil

Wow thats what those things are. I have seen them on the trunks of the squads cars around here. Something insides me tells me that this has to be a violation of our right to privacy.
Thanks for the post and link

BudToker

Veteran
This technology is not new, it has been in use for quite sometime.
There are similar systems that run numbers using parking lot camera feeds.

The Future is here...

thx-1138-2462-poster-large.jpeg

-BT:joint:

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah i knew about this a few years ago - there are videos of it being used on youtube that are a couple years old also -

in fact, i know a few people who have been busted because of these cameras - forget to register renew your license plates? have an unpaid ticket? ding ding ding - your ass is getting pulled over!

supermanlives

Veteran
they been doing this for a while now. they tested it on the east coast years ago. they got alot of people who owed ticket money

ddrew

Veteran
It's been around a while, how do you think you get pulled over so fast with a suspended DL or warrants in some cities?

I couldn't pass within a mile of a cop it seemed like when I was suspended without getting pulled over.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I'm pro drug legalization because the government has no right telling you what not to ingest, but thievery is for fucking scumbags. Taking another man's shit is unjustifiable.

Anyway, lesson here is: Don't drive a stolen car, and if you do, make sure the plates are clean.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
I wish they had it around here.
Violating right.. blah blah.
But when scooters are stolen after 1 month on average and cars are getting stolen all the time (and taken to gaza \ lod for chopping) I wish the police would actually move their asses and do something.

smokefrogg

Veteran
yup yup we've had these in the los angeles area for a minute, i remember watching a show on public access about it too, pretty impressive imho

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Police in the UK had these ANPR systems running in Traffic cars for 6 years min, it is amazing to watch in action, the thing reads every plate in view, not just the one in front, other lanes, oncoming traffic, it is linked to DVLA and gives them an instant alert if you are untaxed, uninsured, banned, known for XYZ crimes....

Orwell was an optimist.

What does "unreasonable" mean?

LOL, Orwell fought here in the Civil War, wrote about it, got a square named after him in Barcelona ..... Then, this ... not a joke, not Photoshop...

BTW. Pl. George Orwell means Placa George Orwell , George Orwell Square

19138872_971aa579e4_z.jpg

designer

The governments are always crying about money and this technology is very expensive to bring on. But then I guess they expect to get a good return on their investments.

InlineMax

how do they hold up to a baseball bat ?? bet i can knock one off ...

Knock one off and get away is more of a challenge. That will make them put a camera pointed at the license place camera! Then a backscatter scanner on that camera just to make sure you don't have a bomb in your pants. This is getting crazy.

BlazedChillin

Easy fix....Just mount 3-4 infared led's over your licence plate, should do a good job of blinding the cameras and it would cost less than 10$ and a few minutes wiring.

Do a search for the paparazzi hats famous people wear to blind the cameras.

Latest posts

Latest posts