What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cooking oil chemistry *moderately image heavy*

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Wow it's still alive! howdy Mocs0. I've actually changed the process a bit I'll see about getting a new thread up soon. I'll throw a link up here when I do.

1. I don't water cure the material going in, I just deodorize the extracted oil instead now using low heat and a semi-neutral atmosphere. You could water cure your material previously to extracting into fat. If you "like" the taste however skip the washes, cures,deodorizing.

2. It's not easier, but I prefer to smoke my hash ;) If you have hash you'd rather not smoke I say go for it.

3. I have in the past used nylon mesh teabags, silk screen pouches, coffee filters, etc. Pretty much anything like that will work. If you use paper filters you can even chuck the entire mess in your compost pile at the end. Careful though, I know butter will attract bears to compost.

This is what I was looking for.I was about to try a crockpot full of oil.I think i enjoy the oil a bit more.Gonna give this a try:ying:

G

guest 77721

I have only made butter twice and found it very messy and hard to get the water separated from the oil using the freezer method. What a great technique using the decanter.

I make a salad oil with olive oil heating in a double boiler. This keeps the water out of the oil and it works great. It will decarboxylize nicely at 100 C with 45 mins to 1 hour of cooking time. There is a decarb chart floating around the site somewhere.

The only thing I'm missing is a good press. I put the solids through a mesh coffee filter but lose a bit of oil with the waste plant material.

I'm wondering if you find that some of the medicinal properties are being washed out with the water washing refining process?

I also make a topical oil for arthritis treatment by soaking ground dried and cured leaves in isopropyl alcohol for a week then taking the oil extract and mixing with hemp seed oil which is stored in the fridge. This stuff is amazing, I can loosen up my stiff fingers in minutes and it spreads a warmth into the affected joint. I can't get this kind of relief from smoking or edibles. My thoughts are that there is medical effects in the waxes and terpenes, not just the oils.