What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

converting a home security light into a remote ballast grow light (the OG FAQ)

sanjuan

Hey, thanks to whoever mentioned the enclosures available at Home Depot (in-store only). I was about to order from automationdirect.com instead.

Wiegmann Nema 1 Screw Cover Wall-Mount Enclosure is what I'm talking about.

I'm making a 250W HPS/CMH.
Safety note: I will not be mounting this to a combustible wall (even though the Advance 250's are probably OK). I'll be punching out a couple of the unused knockouts for some ventilation.

DNAbot

Wiring a 70w HPS flood light

Wiring a 70w HPS flood light

The HID lamp has been wired, but the output is so dim you can barely tell. Do these lamps take some time to warm up or have I boggled something? I've re-checked each wire nut for a good connection so you'll have to take my word on that. Could the low light (low power output) be coming from the cable I plug into the wall and wire the ballast up with? I'm not ready to buy another cord for the wall->ballast just yet. Maybe it is the wiring.

AFTER PICS
dimhid.jpg

I have a stealth cabinet around 1.65 sq ft good height that I'm trying to outfit with a 70w HPS flood light. There's no light sensor to deal with and the follow pictures show a clear black/white IN wires. First, here's what I've got

BEFORE PICS
lableddisassembley.jpg

projectboxandcable.jpg

Do I cut the female end off that extension cord and wire it right into the socket? That socket has to fit in the cab with a cord running to the remote ballast box. How do I keep the ignitor in the flow without it tying the socket down in terms of distance?

Lastly, my flood came with a ground cable connected to a screw. Do I ground in the ballast off the green wire? Thanks!

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
had to do a google search for this one and had to chuckle a little

I still have the same ballasts, same bulbs and components from when I first read this thread, and now im back needing the diagram again, finally figured I might as well just save the diagram this time.

although I think the information should be centralized like it was on OVERGROW (yeah I harp on it, but when I first started growing the FAQ being so organized really helped me get things together efficiently and effectively out the gate, so yes centralized organization has its place and value)

I remember doing this with an econolite 150 vapor tight back in the day. it only cost 20 bucks and included an extra bulb. they don't make that light anymore. I still have it and plan on using it to start over wintering some hot peppers

Latest posts

Latest posts