What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Conspiracy Theory and Psychology (You're all mad!)

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Yeti

Yeti

........ prolly never existed. I can't site the source but remember reading in the last couple of years a scientific report on the DNA analysis of a Yeti pelt long held by a Tibetan Monastery that showed it was actually a bear pelt.

JKD

Veteran
I remember the article also - like a brown & polar bear hybrid or some such?

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Hempy McNoodle

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you've lept to the conclusion that there was some connection between the image and the link. The link is an article about some wacko vegetarian peta prosecutor's conspiracy theory that there is something wrong with training animals to perform services for humans. I only included the picture because its Chris Elliot, the guy is hilarious, every thread can be improved with the addition of a little Chris Elliot.
You only thought there was a connection between the pic and the link because you're bonkers with paranoia, there was no connection other than the one you made up in your crazy little head.

HAHAHAH everyone get a load of the looney bird before they lock him away in a rubber room.

Connecting dots that aren't even there. How sad...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- ahh - this might help - since I gauge whether something is a hypothesis - a theory - fact or a law - based on this graph -

picture.php

Absolem

- ahh - this might help - since I gauge whether something is a hypothesis - a theory - fact or a law - based on this graph -

View Image

Hey Gypsy. I don't agree with that chart and think it really muddies the waters between "theory" and "fact" when theories do contain facts.

https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/da...e word,incorporate laws, hypotheses and facts.

"In everyday use, the word "theory" often means an untested hunch, or a guess without supporting evidence.
But for scientists, a theory has nearly the opposite meaning. A theory is a well-substantiated explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can incorporate laws, hypotheses and facts. The theory of gravitation, for instance, explains why apples fall from trees and astronauts float in space. Similarly, the theory of evolution explains why so many plants and animals—some very similar and some very different—exist on Earth now and in the past, as revealed by the fossil record.

A theory not only explains known facts; it also allows scientists to make predictions of what they should observe if a theory is true. Scientific theories are testable. New evidence should be compatible with a theory. If it isn't, the theory is refined or rejected. The longer the central elements of a theory hold—the more observations it predicts, the more tests it passes, the more facts it explains—the stronger the theory.

Many advances in science—the development of genetics after Darwin's death, for example—have greatly enhanced evolutionary thinking. Yet even with these new advances, the theory of evolution still persists today, much as Darwin first described it, and is universally accepted by scientists."

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- Ahh - ya have to go and complicate it - when I was trying to keep it simple - for the guys up in the peanut gallery over there - perhaps the version shown is the minimalists version?

* interesting all the same Absolem -

Hey Gypsy. I don't agree with that chart and think it really muddies the waters between "theory" and "fact" when theories do contain facts.

https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/da...e word,incorporate laws, hypotheses and facts.

"In everyday use, the word "theory" often means an untested hunch, or a guess without supporting evidence.
But for scientists, a theory has nearly the opposite meaning. A theory is a well-substantiated explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can incorporate laws, hypotheses and facts. The theory of gravitation, for instance, explains why apples fall from trees and astronauts float in space. Similarly, the theory of evolution explains why so many plants and animals—some very similar and some very different—exist on Earth now and in the past, as revealed by the fossil record.

A theory not only explains known facts; it also allows scientists to make predictions of what they should observe if a theory is true. Scientific theories are testable. New evidence should be compatible with a theory. If it isn't, the theory is refined or rejected. The longer the central elements of a theory hold—the more observations it predicts, the more tests it passes, the more facts it explains—the stronger the theory.

Many advances in science—the development of genetics after Darwin's death, for example—have greatly enhanced evolutionary thinking. Yet even with these new advances, the theory of evolution still persists today, much as Darwin first described it, and is universally accepted by scientists."