What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Consistent Edibles

@peace

Hello,

I thought I would share an edible recipe that I have used for quite a while. It is really consistent and you will barely taste any weed. The key to this is mixing thoroughly in the recipe stage and reducing green material in the oil. For this I use infused olive oil, however infused oil or butter of any kind will work. When I make my infused oil I break the buds up and remove as much stem as possible. Then I put the weed in a pyrex bread pan and cover it with tin foil, then I put it in the oven for 45 min at 220F. Then I remove the weed from the oven and add however much oil I need to the cannabis (usually 1/2 cup to 1 cup depending on how many I want to make see below for more). I cover the the container again and put it back in the oven for another 45 min at 220F. This will make fairly sedative edibles. I find them to be less of a sedative if you decarb the weed in the oil from the very beginning vs. the way I described above. In that case you would break the buds up, put them in the pyrex, add the oil, then cover and cook in the oven at 220F for 1 hour. When the oil is done cooking from using either method above, let it cool and then strain it through a wire mesh strainer into a mixing bowl. Cheese cloth can also be used in place of a strainer. In either scenario press or squeeze the oil out of the weed until you start to get quite a bit of green material coming into the filtered oil. A little bit of green is ok, but don't squeeze it to the point that a lot gets through. It will make the edibles taste like weed if you do. Now you have your infused cannabis oil. For strains, I tend to use lemony or fruity strains as they taste better. I have never found a difference between using indicas or sativas as far as the effects, some people I give them to claim they can, I don't.

Now a note on quantity. A half of a cup of oil will make 24 mini cupcake sized cookies. It is up to you to determine the strength that you want. I generally make 60 mg cookies, but they can be made stronger or weaker. The following is the math needed to calculate this for yourself. If you want to find out how much weed you need, you need to figure out how many mg of thc (or cbd) that you want. For this example lets assume that you want a 40mg cookie. To find the mg in a gram of weed you need to know its thc%. I work with outdoor weed that I don't test, but based on comparing it to dispensary weed I consider it to be 16% thc. To convert the thc% to mg you need to multiply by 10. So in my case I consider a gram of weed to have 160 mg (16% x 10 mg/%). The recipe below makes 24 cookies and we want them to be 40 mg, this means that we need: 24 x 40mg = 960mg. Therefore we need a total of 960 mg of thc and we know that we have 160 mg/g of weed in this example, so we need: 960 mg / 160mg/g = 6g of weed.

Math Formulas: Total mg needed = 24 cookies x desired mg per cookie (40mg above)
Mg per gram = thc% x 10
Grams needed = "Total mg needed" / "Mg per gram"

Note if you are a true beginner, start with 10mg cookies and work your way up. Give them two hours to kick in, the effects generally last 4 hours. Do not, for the love of god, consume another edible within two hours of your first one, this is almost always a mistake. For those with higher tolerance this isn't really an issue but please tread lightly if you are just starting out with edibles.

The Recipe:

Ingredients:

#1 - ½ cup infused oil

#1 - ½ cup brown sugar
#1 – 1 egg
#1 - ½ tsp vanilla extract
#2 - ½ cup all purpose flour
#2 - ¼ tsp baking soda
#2 - ¾ tsp cinnamon
#3 - 2 cups oats

Instructions:
  1. Mix the infused oil and brown sugar in a large cooking bowl until they are perfectly smooth and blended together. This will take a minute or two of mixing but it is important so that the doses in each edible are consistent. No oil separation should be present when finished mixing.
  2. Mix the remaining #1 ingredients into the bowl with the oil and sugar. Again mix thoroughly.
  3. In a separate bowl mix all #2 ingredients together. Then add them to the bowl containing all the #1 ingredients. Again, mix until this is perfectly blended and uniform.
  4. Add the #3 ingredient which is the 2 cups of oats to the bowl containing the #1 and #2 ingredients. Blend extremely well as this will determine how consistent the edible doses are.
  5. Spoon these out into a mini cupcake tray that has 24 spots and cook in a pre-heated oven at 350F for 13 – 15 min.
  6. Allow to cool then store in the freezer or fridge. I use the freezer and it doesn't seem to effect potency, although they don't last very long for me either.
Note: Maple syrup or honey can be substituted for the brown sugar. Also, the cinnamon really helps to cover up the cannabis flavour so more can be added if necessary. Also 2 tsp of cocoa powder can be added to the #2 ingredients for a chocolate version. Finally, do not leave this recipe sitting around raw and mixed for very long as the oats will expand and it will throw off how many edibles this recipe makes. I.e. don't mix and throw in the fridge overnight, learned the hard way lol.

@peace

20211211_114158.jpg
This is the mini cupcake container, pyrex dish, and strainer that I use. Any oven safe pyrex dish will work. I just got a silicon cupcake tray as well which is better for removing the cookies than that steel one. They all work though.

@peace

Tempered Hash Chocolate Bars (Cocoa Butter not Coconut Oil)

To start you will need to source food grade cocoa butter, I find mine on Amazon. For hash I have used both dry sift and bubble hash. One warning, during the chocolate making process water is your biggest enemy, look up seized chocolate and you will see why. That being said I have used bubble hash successfully, but it is aged for months and decarbed prior to using which limits the water concern. I would use dry sift as a preference though, rosin likely works but I have never tried it. To temper chocolate you are trying to get one of six types of crystals in cocoa butter to form. This is what makes chocolate solid at room temperature but melt in your mouth. Alpha foodie is a website that has a good tutorial on tempering, so does the book "Chocolate & Confection" by Peter P. Greweling. I use the "seeding method" for tempering.

Tools:

Chocolate/ Candy Molds
Digital Thermometer

The Recipe:

7g Bubble or Dry Sift
150g Cocoa Butter (Food Grade)
150g Cocoa Powder (I prefer Hershey's)
150g Dark Bakers Chocolate, Finely Chopped
1/6 cup Powdered Sugar (Don't use liquid sweetener)

Makes 4-5 Bars

1) Decarb your hash in the oven at 220F for 45 min. I place mine on a piece of parchment paper inside of a pyrex container. I don't cover the container with tinfoil and I do not mix it with the cocoa butter from the beginning so that the chance of water being introduced into the cocoa butter is minimal.
2) Chop up the cocoa butter so that it melts faster and place it in a separate pyrex container. Put this in the oven around minute 20 of the hash decarb.
3) When the hash is decarbed, let it cool slightly, then take the parchment paper with hash and place it in the freezer. After a couple of minutes it will peel off without sticking. Pull out the hot cocoa butter from the oven and drop the hash slab into it. Mix thoroughly with a fork for several minutes. Place this in the oven again for another 30 min at 220F, removing halfway to mix it with the fork again.
4) Now that you have infused cocoa butter set up a double boiler on a stove. I use a pot with a pyrex bowl for this. Put water in the bottom pot and place to low heat.
5) Put the cocoa butter in the top bowl/ pot of the double boiler. At this point it is key to keep the heat of the cocoa butter/ chocolate below 122F once it is being mixed with the cocoa powder and sugar, or it can ruin the chocolate.
6) Add the powered sugar to the cocoa butter and stir until mixed, again keep temps below 122F, I aim for 118F.
7) Add the cocoa powder and mix thoroughly. I use a spatula for mixing all of this. I prefer the one piece silicone version, I have had water drip out of the two piece silicone ones and that would be a problem.
8) Once the above is mixed, remove the pyrex bowl from the heat. Watch this step as there will be condensation on the bottom of the pyrex bowl, wipe it off so that it doesn't get introduced, I learned this the hard way.
9) Stir the contents often. Once the temp is down to around 105F, start adding 20% of the chopped bakers chocolate and stir until melted. This helps to cool the chocolate and to seed it with the proper type of crystals. Repeat this until all of the bakers chocolate is added and melted. I try to make sure that most of the bakers chocolate is added when the temp is above 92F as it doesn't always melt fully below that and you will be left with lumpy chocolate. Continue stirring until the temp drops to 82.5F.
10) Immediately introduce the pyrex/ chocolate back on to the double boiler pot. Heat on the lowest setting possible until the temp is 88F, stirring constantly.
11) Once the temp is 88F remove from the heat and pour into the molds. Remember to wipe the water off the bottom of the pyrex.
12) Allow them to cool for a couple of hours. If you did it right they will be solid and won't melt easily when handled. If they aren't tempered fully/ properly don't worry! You can put them in the fridge and they will become solid as long as they stay in there. So you can still use them no problem, they just can't sit out. In fact if you don't want to temper then you can just mix all of the ingredients at the 115F, then skip the cooling a seeding method and just pour them into the molds once melted, and put them in the fridge.

I find that this recipe can carry through different effects than the cookies above. I feel that this is because the heat never goes above 220F, but I am in no way a scientist so I have no clue as to why. I make mine with sativa hash, I find they are less sedative than the cookies with flower from the same plant the hash was made from. If anybody has(h) any way to improve the above recipe please add some comments. These make about 80mg 1.5" squares. So adjust the total amount of hash to get your desired dose or eat less of course. See the cookie recipe above for notes on dosing.

Last edited:

@peace

Here is what I make. I store mine in a lockbox in the fridge, which isn't great for chocolate as the humidity can make it bloom. It still gets you high though. For anyone wondering the reason I go through the effort of making these vs. making coconut oil bars which are simpler is because I get really bad heartburn from coconut. Each square is about 80 mg depending on how strong the hash is.

1654120923431.png

Latest posts

Latest posts