What's new

Considering DWC - some questions

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
Seriously preach it Scotty.

DWCs are the shiz-nite because they're so simple. Sometimes people don't want to be hyper obsessive-compulsive and want to grow trees without a lot of effort.

By the way, in my next grow I'm going to do 4 DWCs with airstones and 4 DWCs without airstones and we'll see what happens. You fuckers got me pondering now. :D

yeah i agree dwc is my chosen weapon of choice and i know i would have no issues growing some monster size trees in one of my buckets, i mean people all over the net are doing it dwc style

its just what ever style plants the individual chooses to grow in their system

and growing hydro really doesnt get much simpler than a bucket of water with bubbles in it :)

keep it real folks

peace

Scrogerman

Veteran
LOL, you'll go with the Air-Stones, its the wisest choice. well, DWC Hydroponics is based on Massive O2 in solution, the more the better, why would'nt you go with stones. D'O-Power-Up to the maximum, i cant imagine having Niagra Falls in ya Grow Cab, A 12" fall seems to be the general RoT(rule-of-thumb) on getting high O2 into a Res solution, but i think a pump & a few airstones is prolly a few db's quiter. Tempreture is just as important, it's no good having loads of O2 Bubbling through 85f water. The optimum temp falls between 65f & 72f, i shoot for 68-70f, you cant go wrong, at this temp O2 is highly dissolved. Under 65f you lose O2 & above 75f you lose, & risk breeding pathogens. Very important you keep the temps in the correct range if you want optimum dissolved O2. To me good DWC has alot to do with high D'O(dissolved o2) if you want best results! G'Luck!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
So would you recommend including spray nozzles for the roots in a RDWC set up? I'm reading all I can find on RDWC at the moment and there seems to be some conflict on this issue between experienced growers. Some say RDWC generally incorporates aero, some say it doesn't.
The commercially available systems all seem to flood and drain from the base (as opposed to spraying at root level then draining below) and mention nothing about introducing DO. Is this a fault on their part? Or are they behind with most recent methods? Forgive a noob's confusion!

Also, you mentioned waterfalls... does anyone know if that is something worth looking at? If noise is not an issue for the grower then that must be a very effective (and hassle free) means of introducing DO...

DWC (or RDWC or SWC) is about O2 to the roots. Because of the depth of the water and the roots that live in it, it must be aerated to prevent drowning. However, we introduce an air gap between net pot and waterline to maximise O2 to the upper roots which are airhogs (plant too low and you'll stall for a couple of weeks as plants grow new air breathers at the surface).

DWC air bubbles provide two functions: aerating the water the roots live in and splashing water up to those that live in air. These upper roots need only be damp enough to avoid drying out. Adding sprayers is unneccessary and reduces O2 to the upper roots.

Aero on the other hand has a very shallow res. A much greater mass of the roots lives in air alone, thus being in danger of drying out. Thus Aero needs to spray the upper roots with the sprayers acting as the aerators.

The waterfall comments were strictly FYI rather than a suggestion. Few cab growers have the space to allow for one let alone the noise they make.

BeaverHuntr

noob here with a question about CO2. I have a old kegerator and I will use the C02 can from that , so then all I need is a regulator and timer? I dont have the money in my budget for a expensive c02 monitor I will get one in the near future but for now the regulator and timer is all I need right? and it sprays out C02 every so often?

What do you think you'll pull per plant with the changes?

I didn't know growing in 2 and 3 gallon buckets was common. I'm intrigued...

I honestly could not guess what I'll get but its going to be more on fewer plants which is my main goal. Fewer plants that is.

I wouldn't say 2 and 3 gallons are common, I've never seen a 3 gallon bucket. I did google some square ones and most of them are 4 gallons. I went with 2 because I am slightly vertically challenged. But i was cautious about this new change. I figured small buckets, small clones, small plants, lets see what all the fuss is about. I'm going to 5 gallon the next 1 or 2 that flip. Anyone have an opinion on whether or not to keep my 5 inch net pots or get 8 inch nets for the new 5 gallon buckets.

S

SCROG McDuck

I honestly could not guess what I'll get but its going to be more on fewer plants which is my main goal. Fewer plants that is.

I wouldn't say 2 and 3 gallons are common, I've never seen a 3 gallon bucket. I did google some square ones and most of them are 4 gallons. I went with 2 because I am slightly vertically challenged. But i was cautious about this new change. I figured small buckets, small clones, small plants, lets see what all the fuss is about. I'm going to 5 gallon the next 1 or 2 that flip. Anyone have an opinion on whether or not to keep my 5 inch net pots or get 8 inch nets for the new 5 gallon buckets.

Smaller the net pots, meens higher water level and more water.
The greater the water volume the more control over water temps and nute/ph flucuations.
I use 3.5"... I used the 5" ones but it ment
having almost 2 gallons less in the rez. I've found no difference growing in the smaller net posts.

2 gallons isn't much rez.

Scrogerman

Veteran
The greater the water volume the more control over water temps and nute/ph flucuations.
having almost 2 gallons less in the rez. I've found no difference growing in the smaller net posts.

You think like me bro, i use the 3-4" for similar reasons, & still grow tree's. Next up im growing 4 plants, in an 80 litre Tote, Scroged. It stays cool & stable, barely have to touch it on a weekly basis. just change out around every 9-10 days myself, although im really fussy, it pays to be fussy imo! G'Luck!

S

SCROG McDuck

You think like me bro, i use the 3-4" for similar reasons, & still grow tree's. Next up im growing 4 plants, in an 80 litre Tote, Scroged. It stays cool & stable, barely have to touch it on a weekly basis. just change out around every 9-10 days myself, although im really fussy, it pays to be fussy imo! G'Luck!

I 'might' change at 12/12 time but only if "I" screw it up.

Most times I run from clone to cut on the one rez. Lazy SOB.

I am having system like bubbler, but airpump is replaced with waterpump. No annoying noices, and waterpump oxygenizes water as good as airpump. Some chili growers says, that even better. Well, here is picture from my setup:
Day 2:

Day 9:

Now it is day 12 and things are looking nicely jungle. :tiphat:
NOTE: This is my very first Hydro. Always been soil men before this.
Waterpumps are capable of 300 L/h. One pump inside every bucket. One pump cost 6,90€. Not expensive.

Here is original instructions in english:http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=63

S

SCROG McDuck

I am having system like bubbler, but airpump is replaced with waterpump. No annoying noices, and waterpump oxygenizes water as good as airpump. Some chili growers says, that even better. Well, here is picture from my setup:
Day 2:

Day 9:

Now it is day 12 and things are looking nicely jungle. :tiphat:
NOTE: This is my very first Hydro. Always been soil men before this.
Waterpumps are capable of 300 L/h. One pump inside every bucket. One pump cost 6,90€. Not expensive.

Here is original instructions in english:http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=63

Do the water pumps inside the buckets raise water temps into the 80>90s? I'm guessing they're on 24/7.

They look great.

Thanx SM, I did pick up some 8s today so we will try them. Hoping the plant will hang on a bit better. I've had a couple tilt on me in the pots so with the lava rock (free) and the pea gravel (almost free) I'm hoping they are well anchored. Then I only have to worry about branches bending. Time 2 flip 2 more so letz see what happens.

2 gallons isn't much now that I'm getting dialed in but height was an issue and I was going into this very cautiously. I really didn't expect much and thought I'd start small. I'm learning tho, thanx again.........

Scrogerman

Veteran
Ive asked this question quite a few times & nobody has ever answered me. I remember seeing a Guy back in the OG days that was using Powerheads instead of airpumps & was getting marvelious results. Similar to using waterpumps but alot better, interesting that Herbal'E, But i honestly doubt using waterpumps will get you more D'O(dissolved O2)in solution than a 60lpm airpump & micropore airstones. I bet it will work though.
Im considering using Powerheads myself on this next run along with an airpump too. It'll give the Res alot more Flow, spinning bubbles round rather than just letting them break the surface, im thinking this will increase Surface area & increase D'O, as long as Temps can be managed ok. Im gonna give it a whirl i think. I cant remember the name of the guy on OG that was using PH's. If anyone has any info on using Powerheads please chime in. Cheers all!

S

SCROG McDuck

Ive asked this question quite a few times & nobody has ever answered me. I remember seeing a Guy back in the OG days that was using Powerheads instead of airpumps & was getting marvelious results. Similar to using waterpumps but alot better, interesting that Herbal'E, But i honestly doubt using waterpumps will get you more D'O(dissolved O2)in solution than a 60lpm airpump & micropore airstones. I bet it will work though.
Im considering using Powerheads myself on this next run along with an airpump too. It'll give the Res alot more Flow, spinning bubbles round rather than just letting them break the surface, im thinking this will increase Surface area & increase D'O, as long as Temps can be managed ok. Im gonna give it a whirl i think. I cant remember the name of the guy on OG that was using PH's. If anyone has any info on using Powerheads please chime in. Cheers all!

Sounds to me like the beginning of a good 'new' thread, Scroger... or does one exist, thqat I do knot know of?
How does it work? Sounds like water running?

Do the water pumps inside the buckets raise water temps into the 80>90s? I'm guessing they're on 24/7.

They look great.
Thanks. One problem has occured, when one Female seeds WWxBB is showing cal lockout, even just 50% lucas formula, ph 6.0. Pumps are on 24/7. DP brainstorms are storming. :)

S

SCROG McDuck

Thanks. One problem has occured, when one Female seeds WWxBB is showing cal lockout, even just 50% lucas formula, ph 6.0. Pumps are on 24/7. DP brainstorms are storming. :)

Those rez temps, if they are high (over 80F), can cause all sorts of
ph / ec descrepancies..

I think, there is no 1/2, lucas formula.
0/5/10 for weak lights, 0/8/16 for HID.

jm420

Veteran
dp"s brainstorm ,Isnt worth the effort IMO just a commercial smoke nothing special.

dp"s brainstorm ,Isnt worth the effort IMO just a commercial smoke nothing special.
This is going offtopic, but actually it does not matter, because I like to try different strains from different breeders. If I growed that schwag Nirvana Durban Poison 17 weeks in last grow, then hell, I can give 11 weeks to cuts, which should even give solid basic smoke. :tiphat:

jm420

Veteran
No trying to get off topic just noticed it was brought up,17 weeks ,ouch.The BS is a great yeilder and if stealths your game theres almost no smell in flower.
As far as airstones I think its a matter of opion .You must have o2 in the res.Water fall, open line, or airstone will all work.In my case airstones are more conveinant..One point I would like to make is no matter where yor airpump is invest in check valves.

Latest posts

Latest posts