What's new

Connecting Computors

N

noyd666

I have 2 computors, 2 Monitors & 1 Router.I want to connect the 2 together so we both can use 1 each.I've seen that you can connect using crossover or usb cables. I'm not sure which is the best way to go.
:thank you:

gingerale

Veteran
I don't understand what you're trying to do...can you explain a little better what you're doing?

N

noyd666

lol ,the wife will tell you shortly,i know how to operate my ballest.lol. as what she said.

N

noyd666

I just want to be able to connect the 2 computors together so we can use 1 each.I don't really want to go wireless.I know you can share 2 computors by using a USB cable or a crossover cable.If you share a computor can we both use the internet on the 2 computors.
I hope this makes sense to you.

T

TribalSeeds

your router probably already has a wireless feature. If one of your computers had a wireless receiver you would just need to enter your network password. You could buy a card to put in the computer if it didnt already have wireless.

N

noyd666

hi got two computers two monitors one router. can they be set up to run sepp ? using the one internet source.thanks.dont want wireless.

delic

Does your router have any ethernet sockets? They look like big US phone sockets
If so connect then to your PC's network socket to them with etherrnet cables.

If it doesn't you can connect the 2 PCs together using an ethernet cross over cable or a hub/switch. Then on the PC that has the internet connection go to the settings and share the internet connection (it'll say something like allow other to use this connection.

Hope that helps

-deic

N

noyd666

comm.

comm.

:thank you:
Does your router have any ethernet sockets? They look like big US phone sockets
If so connect then to your PC's network socket to them with etherrnet cables.

If it doesn't you can connect the 2 PCs together using an ethernet cross over cable or a hub/switch. Then on the PC that has the internet connection go to the settings and share the internet connection (it'll say something like allow other to use this connection.

Hope that hel
-deic

sso

Veteran
your computers should have a ethernet connection each, just get ethernet cables and hook those up to the router (which should have ethernet connectors, unless its wifi only.)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Yes, you're looking to see how many 'ethernet' jacks there are on the back of your router.

A good place to start would be to look up the brand and model number and do a search for the operating manual. They suck and are confusing, but they do hold key pieces of information. :D

Once you have that... you're looking to set up the router so that your incoming connection is plugged into the WAN port and both of your computers are plugged into the other ports on the router.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

S

SeaMaiden

Christ almighty... He was talking about a kvm switch. Why did you have to get all supertechnical on him?

But why is a KVM switch needed if there are two computers and two monitors? Based on what I think they're trying to say (both the noyds), it seems to me they're trying to set up a home network so both can use each computer at the same time. A KVM would make things more complicated, not less.

To the noyds; what you're interested in doing is setting up a home network, or LAN as the man above asked. LAN=Local Area Network (there's also a WAN=Wide Area Network). Since you don't want to muck around with wifi, then as HS said, you need to figure out how many ethernet ports the router has. The ethernet ports look a lot like phone hookups (at least, here in the US that's what they look like). Most routers have four ports.

N

noyd666

:biggrin: hi, got it working perfect yesterday, every thing is easy when you know how,lol , everybody helped, so thanks again.:woohoo:

Latest posts

Latest posts