What's new

Confident Enough To Show Your Worst Mistakes?

CharlesU Farley

Great thread, shame I don't usually keep pictures of my mistakes.

On my first ever outdoor grow, in 2004 I think, I got some clones from AK47 and NL, followed instructions my friend had given me to a T, and had a very good grow all throughout the season. Was really lucky and proud of myself. 8 decent sized plants in 50L pots.

Fast forward to harvest day, I start trimming and the first cola falls apart from the tunnels made by the budworms. I had no idea budworms existed or were a threat at all. No idea that you're supposed to look inside the buds for signs of their presence. No idea about BT. Almost every cola was infested, and each new cola I picked up and looked inside, huge fat well fed budworms were there to greet me. It was a traumatic experience, trimmed for hours and hours on the verge of tears :ROFLMAO: and ended up losing around 60-65% of the harvest which was otherwise clean and great quality. Still a little traumatized to this day and can't pick budworms with my fingers, need to go fetch some tweezers so I don't have to touch them lol.
I'm the same way about taking pictures of my fuck ups. Just started doing it here recently, when I switched over to using a camera phone. The problem I'm having now is I've taken so many pics, I can't find the ones I'm looking for when I want to post 'em.

I know there are two I posted in another forum of a male that I was getting ready to cull and forgot about for a week or two, in total darkness and a pic of a fabric container that has more bacteria and fungi growing on it than the scum layer of a septic tank. :poop:

CharlesU Farley

I left Mrs Ahab, the Black Thumbed, Redheaded Sorceress who has managed to kill almost every plant she has come close to in charge of my plants one time when I was away.
When I got back they were all wilted and almost dead from insufficient watering. I was able to revive only half of them .
Harley Farley said she can certainly relate to the Redheaded Sorceress. I always accuse her of having a Black Hand, and not like an organized crime. :D

She's killed so many of plants, we decided to just go ahead and use plastic plants all around the house. That way, all she's got to do is dust them and not kill them.

I wouldn't let her near my cannabis plants, ever!!! :eek:

moose eater

Confident enough to admit or talk about them? Yep.

But I have taken very few photographs of my plants over the years, using my wife's phone camera as a rule when I do so, so have very few pics in general, let alone those that are an embarrassment.

But yes, I've caused numerous plants through the decades to scream "MAMA!!" ...

CharlesU Farley

Confident enough to admit or talk about them? Yep.

But I have taken very few photographs of my plants over the years, using my wife's phone camera as a rule when I do so, so have very few pics in general, let alone those that are an embarrassment.

But yes, I've caused numerous plants through the decades to scream "MAMA!!" ...
Even if you ain't got pics, I want to hear all the gory, nasty details. ;)

RobFromTX

I don't keep up with hardly any seed companies now but I've heard good things about, and growers who I respect, use their seeds. So that doesn't surprise me at all.

Im growing their New Caledonia right now. Dubis a great breeder. very interactive too

Attachments

• IMG_20240312_150953694.jpg
    IMG_20240312_150953694.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240312_151056586.jpg
    IMG_20240312_151056586.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240312_151007559.jpg
    IMG_20240312_151007559.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19

moose eater

Even if you ain't got pics, I want to hear all the gory, nasty details. ;)
Over-watered a Ghost Train Haze #1 to the extent that it looked wilted... badly.

Had bud rot take over in the corner of a box and before I caught it, turned a quarter of that box into the ugliest brown dog shit-looking plants I've seen.

Went away to OCCUPY to write while I had plants in flower and when I got back, the person I'd left in charge of fertilizing and watering had simply followed directions on mixes of fertilizer without really paying attention to the plants' appearances.... Fucking NIGHTMARE!! Domestic tranquility was forfeited that day, week.... a while...

FUSARIUM WILT!!!!!!!!! 'Nuff said. I beat it, but it took several generations of clones to do so, as well as Myco-Stop and PreStop for a time. Did I mention that I HATE Fusarium Wilt?

And then there's the over-fertilized plants I did to myself, that turned such odd colors of green that I doubt they had much THC or anything else good left in them.

In a general and broad accounting, that pretty much covers it. I'm sure there were others, but I can only do so much embarrassment and confessing of sins in one day.

CharlesU Farley

Over-watered a Ghost Train Haze #1 to the extent that it looked wilted... badly.

Had bud rot take over in the corner of a box and before I caught it, turned a quarter of that box into the ugliest brown dog shit-looking plants I've seen.

Went away to OCCUPY to write while I had plants in flower and when I got back, the person I'd left in charge of fertilizing and watering had simply followed directions on mixes of fertilizer without really paying attention to the plants' appearances.... Fucking NIGHTMARE!! Domestic tranquility was forfeited that day, week.... a while...

FUSARIUM WILT!!!!!!!!! 'Nuff said. I beat it, but it took several generations of clones to do so, as well as Myco-Stop and PreStop for a time. Did I mention that I HATE Fusarium Wilt?

And then there's the over-fertilized plants I did to myself, that turned such odd colors of green that I doubt they had much THC or anything else good left in them.

In a general and broad accounting, that pretty much covers it. I'm sure there were others, but I can only do so much embarrassment and confessing of sins in one day.
My almost senile ass did something that would have had me posting a picture this morning!!!! I've got a couple of trays of seedlings out on the deck, hardening up after being in the clone / seedling closet, very early spring here in the mountains.

Before I went to bed last night I checked the weather app like I usually do to see the overnight low. Glanced down at the temps and everything looked fine, low temp was going to be in the mid '40s, nbd. After I did the usual nightly routine, making sure everything's locked up, turned off, etc. I happen to glance at the thermometer we have in the living room that monitors outdoor temp. It was at 38°. WTF???

Went back to the tablet, opened up the weather app again, and noticed that the location selection part, it was for _Salt Lake City_. My mother-in-law lives lives there, so we monitor the winter snow situation. I had forgot to select _my_ location, rather than my monster-in-laws. :sneaky: Immediately went out to get the seedlings and put them in the living room, where it's nice and warm.

Dodged a major seedling kill... the pictures would not have been pretty. :confused:

moose eater

My almost senile ass did something that would have had me posting a picture this morning!!!! I've got a couple of trays of seedlings out on the deck, hardening up after being in the clone / seedling closet, very early spring here in the mountains.

Before I went to bed last night I checked the weather app like I usually do to see the overnight low. Glanced down at the temps and everything looked fine, low temp was going to be in the mid '40s, nbd. After I did the usual nightly routine, making sure everything's locked up, turned off, etc. I happen to glance at the thermometer we have in the living room that monitors outdoor temp. It was at 38°. WTF???

Went back to the tablet, opened up the weather app again, and noticed that the location selection part, it was for _Salt Lake City_. My mother-in-law lives lives there, so we monitor the winter snow situation. I had forgot to select _my_ location, rather than my monster-in-laws. :sneaky: Immediately went out to get the seedlings and put them in the living room, where it's nice and warm.

Dodged a major seedling kill... the pictures would not have been pretty. :confused:
I forgot to include the current and past 3 rounds of clones, for which I've been lagging in energy, so just keep letting them get a bit wonky, then re-cloning them to perpetuate the strains.

They're getting brought back into some semblance of health in preparation for cloning, but they've been angry with me a time or three.

Oh well....

AI generated grow, based on Cannabis forum input:

20231007_172242.jpg

Orange plant bad

Results:

Excess Ca preloaded into soilless medium combined with low B and water-only irrigation put Ca into cystolyth (carbonate), crystal (oxalate), and soap (stearate) forms rather than calcium pectate, allowing excess Mn to enter the plant to toxic levels.

20240323_141145.jpg

Organic inputs and manures exacerbated Mn toxicity in all cases. Phenol derived catechol, gallic and tannic acids, along with SH-containing (cysteine) organics were quite effective at keeping Mn in toxic solution, particularly at near neutral pH range. Organic manures aggravated Mn toxicity, presumably by increasing Mn in solution via dissolution and chelation. Regular irrigation exacerbated Mn toxicity while dry cycles reduced it, likely due to Mn oxidation .

Lesson: Cannabis hyper accumulates Manganese. Calcium being the main antagonist of Mn is quickly removed from the medium by Cannabis. However, calcium is not mobile, and without proper B levels, once absorbed will be permanently placed into undesirable structures/compounds rather than calcium pectate in primary cell walls, allowing excess Mn into the plant.

Organic acids from organic waste stream inputs exacerbated Mn toxicity. Adding off the shelf trace mineral products to overcome restricted B Mg Mb Fe Ni adds excess Mn to Cannabis. Excess Sulfur from organic inputs exacerbated Mn toxicity. Excess P exacerbated Mn toxicity, likely by restricting its primary antagonist Ca. Mg Zn Fe Mb also reduce Mn toxicity.

Be wise about your organic inputs. Manganese is mined in my state, and popular soil recipes using basalt, composts, leaf litter manure, etc will suddenly destroy a Cannabis crop the moment you take the milk bottle away. If your city water supply takes 3 Mn measurements in the filtration process yet the public handouts show N/A in box number three, assume it's high. Instead of wasting money on fancy calmag additives, or building complex soils, choose a low Mn fertilizer designed for pharmaceutical grade Cannabis sativa.

EQXvR7vUEAEn4mV.jpeg

Immobile CaCO3 structures

c0283478-800px-wm.jpg

Immobile CaC2O4 crystal

20240323_130849.png

Immobile C36H70CaO4 soaps

Plant_cell_wall_diagram-en.svg.png

Primary cell wall structure formed of calcium-magnesium pectate.

CharlesU Farley

AI generated grow, based on Cannabis forum input:

View attachment 18977719
Orange plant bad

Results:

Excess Ca preloaded into soilless medium combined with low B and water-only irrigation put Ca into cystolyth (carbonate), crystal (oxalate), and soap (stearate) forms rather than calcium pectate, allowing excess Mn to enter the plant to toxic levels.

View attachment 18977766

Organic inputs and manures exacerbated Mn toxicity in all cases. Phenol derived catechol, gallic and tannic acids, along with SH-containing (cysteine) organics were quite effective at keeping Mn in toxic solution, particularly at near neutral pH range. Organic manures aggravated Mn toxicity, presumably by increasing Mn in solution via dissolution and chelation. Regular irrigation exacerbated Mn toxicity while dry cycles reduced it, likely due to Mn oxidation .

Lesson: Cannabis hyper accumulates Manganese. Calcium being the main antagonist of Mn is quickly removed from the medium by Cannabis. However, calcium is not mobile, and without proper B levels, once absorbed will be permanently placed into undesirable structures/compounds rather than calcium pectate in primary cell walls, allowing excess Mn into the plant.

Organic acids from organic waste stream inputs exacerbated Mn toxicity. Adding off the shelf trace mineral products to overcome restricted B Mg Mb Fe Ni adds excess Mn to Cannabis. Excess Sulfur from organic inputs exacerbated Mn toxicity. Excess P exacerbated Mn toxicity, likely by restricting its primary antagonist Ca. Mg Zn Fe Mb also reduce Mn toxicity.

Be wise about your organic inputs. Manganese is mined in my state, and popular soil recipes using basalt, composts, leaf litter manure, etc will suddenly destroy a Cannabis crop the moment you take the milk bottle away. If your city water supply takes 3 Mn measurements in the filtration process yet the public handouts show N/A in box number three, assume it's high. Instead of wasting money on fancy calmag additives, or building complex soils, choose a low Mn fertilizer designed for pharmaceutical grade Cannabis sativa.

View attachment 18977735
Immobile CaCO3 structures

View attachment 18977736
Immobile CaC2O4 crystal

View attachment 18977737
Immobile C36H70CaO4 soaps

View attachment 18977752
Primary cell wall structure formed of calcium-magnesium pectate.
Which AI, and what prompt/prompts did you use?