What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Condensate for DWC?

G

OK... i finally have 20 gallons of condensate from my A/C drain.The water was ran thru coffee filters,to catch any debris,etc.the water has a some what of a cloudy apparence.I'm wondering if this could be some funky organic shit,that thrives in my drain pan.

Any who....would adding bleach to the water be ok if I gave it a few days to evap. out of the water? I would be running the airstones also.

TDS on this water is only 45ppm. My city water is about 350ppm!

This water is going to be used in a 20 gallon DWC.

G

No bleach. The water from the AC is ready to go. The only better you can get is RO water.

Blatant

full time daddy
Veteran
45 ppm???

the water outof my a/c is like 10-15
maybe something was in you buckit?

no bleach use it how it is like raiderfan said :)

my rez is full by my a/c and my dehu.....

with both you should never have to use tap water...

i was going to buy a r/o but with the way my a/c runs in the summer and with 3k all be ok tell winter

G

ro water

ro water

you can buy ro water at almost any crocery store for about $.40 a gallon.I got sick of packing home 20 galons at a time.Since i started this thread, i have been using the condensate water from my central A/C, and all has been well.PPM in this water is 30 to 40 ppm.Hey i can live with that.I think the PPm reading i am getting is actually "dust" from the house air, collecting in the coil.My A/C puts out about 10 galons a day.Free pure water!!

full time daddy
Veteran
i could live with 30-40 also :) just fun how mines 10-15 and your is 30-40 must be where we live......

you can also buy r/o filter's
ebay has them for 100 for a 6 stage and that with shipping:)

you do have to buy filters every six months to a yr ...

but rmember it not a time limit it how much water you use

DarkLance

Or you could use the water that comes out of your dehumidifier. That should be the same as the AC water. Just make sure you clean out the tank first (10% Bleach) and I would suggest a cover of some sort, to keep out dust and such.

The RO units work very well (Theoretically it should be absolutely pure water), if you want to see Osmosis in action, crack open an egg, separate the yolk and put it on a plate with a little bit of water around it. The yolk will absorb the water.

Osmosis is the term used for the diffusion of water. Its also how your body gets blood everywhere (inside you that is).

But in reality, I don't think it makes all that much difference. Plants are used to dealing with rainwater, which is definitely not pure (anyone remember the "Acid Rain" scare?)

G

Distilled is fine. Its just regular water thats been refined by distillization. R/O filters are sold everywhere from Home Depot to your pet shop and of course the net.

Blatant