What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Concrete bunker smell proof?

mikeross

Hello all...

Buddy of mine recently moved into a place with a concrete bunker under the garage. This is truly a 6 sided concrete room with a door way cored through one of the walls.

Can he just seal up the door way and not worry about smell... he will be scrubbing the room with a large carbon filter.

Any insight is much appreciated....

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
aye, you gonna seal up the concrete dude?
Nice ceilings ha!

Sounds like big job!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Under the garage? That seems unwise unless it's someone who really knows what they're doing.

H

Huckster79

It's a new training theory! Like super cropping but it's called ford- u crash a ford down on your plants and it makes the canopy level!

No I've seen basements in new construction go under garages unless it looks like a DIYer job it's likely well up to code.....

Jhhnn

Veteran
Interesting. I think you mean 8' ceiling, not 18', right?

I'd use colored smoke bombs & pressurize the space to identify any leaks. Other than that, it should work well as a sealed room w/co2. Dunno how much power he could use in that space before he needs to cool it w/ a mini split or heat pump. Probably a few 1000 watts, anyway.

Jhhnn

Veteran
It's a new training theory! Like super cropping but it's called ford- u crash a ford down on your plants and it makes the canopy level!

No I've seen basements in new construction go under garages unless it looks like a DIYer job it's likely well up to code.....

I've never seen it but & I'm sure it's quite possible from a structural engineering pov. It's a pretty expensive way to build a basement.

H

Huckster79

Yea it wasn't in the entry level homes! Concrete girder type things were laid and then a regular Cement job over it... The one I worked on was for a walk out garage basically a garage door on back side of house on the lower ground back yard- eliminating the need for a tool shed...

Granger2

Veteran
I believe he will need a good dehum. Smell-wait and see, and have a plan for smell control ready to implement if needed. Make sure that carbon filter is a good one. No DIY. Good luck. -granger

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You will need to seal the concrete with a plastic barrier, and will need a good dehuey. I would count on needing a carbon filter system as well.

gorilla ganja

I would guess if it was any kind of serious bunker it has thick concrete walls and is air tight.
easy to check to make sure. a nice carbon filter and your friend is all set. Sounds like a great set up.
Your friend will be the happiest survivor around when the zombie apocalypse comes.:biggrin:

Peace GG

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Yea it wasn't in the entry level homes! Concrete girder type things were laid and then a regular Cement job over it... The one I worked on was for a walk out garage basically a garage door on back side of house on the lower ground back yard- eliminating the need for a tool shed...

By "Concrete girder type things were laid and then a regular Cement job over it" I hope you mean concrete with the required steels set inside. For construction underground you must have the minimum legal reinforcement spec of steel or your new growroom may turn into a big rubble coffin after a bit of rain. If you don¨t already know about it read up, look at swimming pools being built, you basically want a pool with a lid, it is not actually that easy to do inside a garage

mikeross

Thanks for all the insight guys. This is a bunker under the garage built to code and was inspected by the city when the home was build. It is the only house on the street, and the original owner was the builder of every house on my block so he built his place a little differently lol.

It is poured concrete not blocks. In my research on construction forums I have come to the conclusion that poured concrete is air tight if done properly.

The smoke bomb + pressurizing the room is a good idea... gonna try it out.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
hows he gonna vent/ cool it????yeehaw ...smell always is an issue sooner or latr...I grew in a root cellar that was a bit like a bunker for 5 years ..52, 54 degrees most times if memory serves me right

mikeross

its gonna be a sealed room... no in or out vents, cooled by (2) 4 fan water cooled chillers... 90000 btu of cooling.

rykus

The water cooled ac's pull enough humidity in my experience... But yeah I agree with stoned trout, the smell always gets out a bit, the carbon scrubbers help, but just the amount of grow is going to smell a bit.... I got by with way less AC in my under grounds, but if humidity gets high the walls sweat.... Also when shut down there cold... Best to check all those connections on the water lines as they warm... Ask me how I know,lol

You did say cube so ya 18' ceilings, I'd double floor that in a heart beat if so...

mikeross

I ran a 3 fan chiller in my MPB room back in the day and really liked it... was using window bangers before but I was just a kid then lol. Those chillers are pretty stealth if you think about it.

During lights on with that chiller I had my R/H right were I wanted it... It was lights off where I would see a spike. I had (2) big inefficient 70 pint dehumidifiers that did the trick and a heater in the room to keep the night temps a little higher... kept my humidity in check during night cycle.

The plan with this room is to run a dual quest unit or split it into 2 single units. Should keep humidity in check during lights off.

Latest posts

Latest posts