What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Composting after oil extraction ?

Cuddles

Okay, so I always compost all my left over plant materials - mostly fruit, veggies etc. Luckily our building of flats has one of those waste bins for this sort of thing. It´s basically just like a compost heap but it gets taken away someplace else for the actual composting.
But I´ve never been too sure about putting the left over weed after oil extraction into this bin. I´m a little worried about the alcohol.

So my question to all those of you who have gardens is:
Do you put your weed onto your garden compost? Do you rinse if first or let the alcohol evaporate...

...Or should I just keep disposing of it in the regular waste bins. This would also be more discreet I guess.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Okay, so I always compost all my left over plant materials - mostly fruit, veggies etc. Luckily our building of flats has one of those waste bins for this sort of thing. It´s basically just like a compost heap but it gets taken away someplace else for the actual composting.
But I´ve never been too sure about putting the left over weed after oil extraction into this bin. I´m a little worried about the alcohol.

Do you put your weed onto your garden compost? Do you rinse if first or let the alcohol evaporate...

...Or should I just keep disposing of it in the regular waste bins. This would also be more discreet I guess.
Good question friend. If it's illegal there where you live, I wouldn't put it where anyone could see it period. Detectives have been known to go through people's trash to collect evidence. I make a point never to allow anything to be seen by anyone period. That goes for thieves as well. Protect yourself and never take a chance.

Cuddles

Good question friend. If it's illegal there where you live, I wouldn't put it where anyone could see it period. Detectives have been known to go through people's trash to collect evidence. I make a point never to allow anything to be seen by anyone period. That goes for thieves as well. Protect yourself and never take a chance.
You´re totally right about being discreet and all. But I was also wondering about the composting process itself.
Growers do have gardens and it is legal in some places, so what do they do with the material after soaking it in alcohol. It still needs to be disposed or recycled somehow, am I right ;)
Can it do any damage to the rest of the compost because it won´t decompost all that easily I imagine.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I just pitch it in my barrel composter. I put it on top of the pile and let it sit for a day before turning it in . The alcohol evaporates and Ive never noticed any negative effects. Ive also put it in my veggie garden and turned it into the soil with a pitch fork. No problems there either.

AnonMe

I've been out of the grow game a while. I used to put a lot of iso washes and butane washed into a worm farm. At first I worried for the worms but it didn't affect them. NOTHING brought the baby worms to the surface like that stuff tho. For some reason they loved it. Not as quick as comparing but I got some great worm castings from it

graser

During the last run, the fan leaves and twigs were soaked in vodka. A little ginger and lemon were added to round off the taste. It works amazingly well, one pint and I sleep like a baby and tastes good too.
After filtering, I rinsed the leftovers once with water and composted them in the bokashi. This worked well and I will do it again.
Disposing of the plant remains in the garbage seems much more conspicuous to me and not nearly as effective.

Cuddles

During the last run, the fan leaves and twigs were soaked in vodka. A little ginger and lemon were added to round off the taste. It works amazingly well, one pint and I sleep like a baby and tastes good too.
After filtering, I rinsed the leftovers once with water and composted them in the bokashi. This worked well and I will do it again.
Disposing of the plant remains in the garbage seems much more conspicuous to me and not nearly as effective.

One pint of vodka will put almost anyone to sleep I guess :p
you can handle weed + alcohol together? wow.

CharlesU Farley

I used to decarb cannabis, soak it in cannola oil, and use the oil for edibles. All of the leftover vegetable matter, I would just dump off the deck into the bushes/weeds. Never had a problem until I got a new puppy. She discovered the oily, decarbed goodness, chowed down... and got stoned as shit.

I had no idea, had other dogs and they never touched it. At first we thought she got into some poison or was having some type of neurological issue. Just kind of stood there, swaying back and forth, droolling, stumbling and then fell over. :(

I figured out what it was when I looked in her mouth and saw the pieces/ parts.

Seriously, this can be a very dangerous thing, so if you're not composting it, make sure you carefully dispose of it away from young, curious puppies. o_O

Cuddles

I used to decarb cannabis, soak it in cannola oil, and use the oil for edibles. All of the leftover vegetable matter, I would just dump off the deck into the bushes/weeds. Never had a problem until I got a new puppy. She discovered the oily, decarbed goodness, chowed down... and got stoned as shit.

I had no idea, had other dogs and they never touched it. At first we thought she got into some poison or was having some type of neurological issue. Just kind of stood there, swaying back and forth, droolling, stumbling and then fell over. :(

I figured out what it was when I looked in her mouth and saw the pieces/ parts.

Seriously, this can be a very dangerous thing, so if you're not composting it, make sure you carefully dispose of it away from young, curious puppies. o_O
poor puppy :(

I agree, it´s probably safer to dispose of such material containing fats properly in the bins. Other animals get get to it too-birds, squirrels etc.

goingrey

Alcohol is created as a result of sugars decomposing. Having a little bit in your spent trim before you put it in the compost and not only as a result of being in there is no problem. Don't worry about it.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Only thing I would worry about is the fire risk if it's a bin that gets hot in the sun, all that alcohool turning to vapors in a closed container can be lit very easy. I would either evaporate it in open air, run some water through it, or soak it in water before disposing of it. If you had your own compost pile, spreading it around would make it safe. Alcohool is often a natural product of fermentation/decomposition. I personally compost even old alcohoolic drinks. It's organic afterall..

Azeotrope

Veteran
Wow, I didn´t know that love worms like to party so much :biggrin:--- or have drinking issues?
I wonder if they get hangovers too lol
Ha! Cannabis breaks down really well in their world. They get all the males we don't keep and any trimmings that are otherwise useless. The remains from making bubblehash just get layered in and vanish into the goodness quickly.

Cuddles

Ha! Cannabis breaks down really well in their world. They get all the males we don't keep and any trimmings that are otherwise useless. The remains from making bubblehash just get layered in and vanish into the goodness quickly.
I´m sure the plants alone are not a problem, although animals sometimes eat them. I was more concerned about the grain alcohol preventing the breakdown. After all it´s high vol and alcohol is used to preserve things too - fruits for example. (yummy)
But everyone is saying it´s cool :)

ost

poor puppy :(

I agree, it´s probably safer to dispose of such material containing fats properly in the bins. Other animals get get to it too-birds, squirrels etc.
have you ever watched birds on a plant full of seed?watch some time and tell me most critters do not have a endocannabis system!

Cuddles

have you ever watched birds on a plant full of seed?watch some time and tell me most critters do not have a endocannabis system!
All animals are affected by certain substances I suppose. Have you ever seen it one of those films or docus where monkeys and elephants eat old fruit and end up getting totally pissed? I think this type of footage is also included in ` the living desert` . I think this is the correct title and I highly recommend watching it to anybody who has never seen it before (y)

I have had birds breaking and entering my flat a couple of times but I didn´t have plants with seed at the time, lol. I´ll be growing on my balcony this year (well, maybe) and we´ll see, that is if I get a male to donate some pollen ;)
Might be kinda freaky though....

royson

I've used the leftovers for burning out prickles in my lawn,I've also dried them and used it as a flour substitute after making it into dust

Latest posts

Latest posts