What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Compost Tea Areated

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in any case I appreciate the work done. I am no biologist, and have no degrees or even real experience in botany but I am fairly intelligent and have enough education to be truly dangerous.

Some say start the EWC in a jar with some food and a little water in a jar first, some say NO! My grow is too small for any real tests.

I only grow for my head, it's all a labor of love. I have plenty of good smoke now and I am always looking for a way to up my game.

The constant conflicting information and downright misinformation is really part of the fun. Frustrating as it may be.

I will check out more of your posts.

:plant grow:

Here are some free tips. Information given with no back up data could be suspect. Data given for lay people should be easy to see and comprehend. Saying that the plants did great is not data.

If someone has set their own bar or parameters for their supportive data, view it as suspect. (e.g. X volume of bacteria with Y volume of fungi or protozoa = XY pounds of nitrogen per acre; presented without logic or foundation)

If someone gives a different way of doing something, it should be based on gathered data, not observed growth results.

For example if the presenter advocates adding nutrients to a finished ACT, they should be able to show that the microbial life was not negatively impacted by such a practice.

If they are advising this practice then they should have data (results) available from 1/ using nutrients added to ACT
2/ using only the nutrients 3/ using only ACT 4/ other applicable controls deemed relative

My microscopy data has consistently shown a reduction in microbial activity from adding substances to finished ACT. One might conclude that growing benefits observed may be from the nutrient alone and that 24 to 48 hours was wasted in making ACT.

5suns

I actually made that Guide on Teas for growing with NFTG (I don't work for Nectar or Scott Ostrander, I just grow with his nutrients) and I gave credit to Elaine Ingham AND microbeorganics.

From the guide:
There is no guarantee that your compost tea brewing will be successful using these recipes and ingredients. More details @ http://www.microbeorganics.com/

It was something I put together to help me with compost tea brewing because there are thousands of opinions about this, including others with microscopes. I know that Tim is active in other groups and I started using his %'s when I make my teas and recommend various recipes. Most of the information I have in that guide came from Tim's site with some information from Elaine. The thing is, there are hundreds of thousands of people who are making teas in their garden following Elaine's way, and they do perfectly fine. Just because Tim has a microscope testing HIS way, doesn't mean brewing it in what you believe are identical inputs and environments that you will have the same luck.

Enjoy guys. Do what works for you, and always look to improve on any process that isn't working for you. :)

Levitationofme

Thanks for the Guide man! I have my copy.

This is a great place to stir the pot and grow some.

Anyway looking forward to see some Nectar grows.

:yeahthats

nukklehead

Ok

Read all of the last posts and attachments. Very informative by all along with the arguments :huggg:.. as I am a naive experienced SMALL"chemical" grower wanting to dab into the organic world.

Obviously from what I have learned is there is no real way to "store" compost teas for future use i.e you pretty much have to brew then use what you have right?

So lets just say I have to water every 2-3 days or so depending on the stage of the plant. AND I dont necessarily need 5 gallons at a time to water for my ( 2 ) plants. Do you pretty much have to use forethought and keep a batch brewing at all times assuming a 24-48 hour brew period?

Im ok at math ,even after going to public schools, to work the numbers and figure out how to brew 2.5 to 3 gallons
ACT at a time. Other then figuring out the mathematical volume of what I need to brew and use, does anyone have any suggestions on using above methods on such a small scale?

Thanks

Nuk

Levitationofme

no need to brew tea for every watering. I do it once a week or so. Its cheap, so I just make a gallon at a time and use it. What isn't used up in a day or so I pour on some unsuspecting plant outside

5suns

Thanks for the Guide man! I have my copy.

This is a great place to stir the pot and grow some.

Anyway looking forward to see some Nectar grows.

:yeahthats

Thanks, I released version 4.0 recently and it's the most complete regarding Nectar. It can be downloaded over at the NFTG Growers Page on FB. This is my Midnight Snow X Pure Gooey under Fluence SpydrX.

5suns

Ok

Read all of the last posts and attachments. Very informative by all along with the arguments :huggg:.. as I am a naive experienced SMALL"chemical" grower wanting to dab into the organic world.

Obviously from what I have learned is there is no real way to "store" compost teas for future use i.e you pretty much have to brew then use what you have right?

So lets just say I have to water every 2-3 days or so depending on the stage of the plant. AND I dont necessarily need 5 gallons at a time to water for my ( 2 ) plants. Do you pretty much have to use forethought and keep a batch brewing at all times assuming a 24-48 hour brew period?

Im ok at math ,even after going to public schools, to work the numbers and figure out how to brew 2.5 to 3 gallons
ACT at a time. Other then figuring out the mathematical volume of what I need to brew and use, does anyone have any suggestions on using above methods on such a small scale?

Thanks

Nuk

The scale doesn't matter, but you do have to plan ahead. You'll need to know how often you are root drenching before you begin your brew. If you water every 2 days and you plan on a 24 hour brew, then you'll need to start brewing 24 hours after you feed. 36 hour brew will be started 12 hours after you feed. I'm sure you can figure it out.

nukklehead

The scale doesn't matter, but you do have to plan ahead. You'll need to know how often you are root drenching before you begin your brew. If you water every 2 days and you plan on a 24 hour brew, then you'll need to start brewing 24 hours after you feed. 36 hour brew will be started 12 hours after you feed. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Thanks 5 you confirmed what I figured.. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts