What's new

Compact SOG with CFL's

G

Hey DrBud.

I know I am a little late but, I was looking into making a setup like this and was shown your wonderful thread. I had a few question, I seen how you posted the 3 different light spectrums that the bulbs come in, I was wondering wat spectrum you use for those few weeks while vegging and which you use for flowering. My setup will be grown from seed not clone, just fyi. But, your help is very much appreciated. Just a young new grower looking for wisdom..

Thanks alot.

S

ScrogHog

Sawhiskey said:
Hey DrBud.

I know I am a little late but, I was looking into making a setup like this and was shown your wonderful thread. I had a few question, I seen how you posted the 3 different light spectrums that the bulbs come in, I was wondering wat spectrum you use for those few weeks while vegging and which you use for flowering. My setup will be grown from seed not clone, just fyi. But, your help is very much appreciated. Just a young new grower looking for wisdom..

Thanks alot.

Do some reading all your answers are in this thread dont be lazy.

G

I will read thru it all once again, I belive I got to page 13? I will after my afterwork nap when my mind is fresh. :joint:

green_grow

Veteran
hi, dr.bud

i am trying to get a perpetual sog going with 6 plants ... i was thinking of using semi-transparent 1 gallon (imperial) milk jugs because a) 6 of them will fit easily into my cabinet with room to spare, b) they come with a convenient handle built right in, and c) they are free. i noticed that you leave the labels on your soda bottles, is this so that light will not harm the roots ? will the light passing through my milk jugs be enough to harm roots ? the jugs wont be packed in there nearly as tightly as your soda bottles, so there will be some light down there.

regards, green.

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
green_grow said:
hi, dr.bud

i am trying to get a perpetual sog going with 6 plants ... i was thinking of using semi-transparent 1 gallon (imperial) milk jugs because a) 6 of them will fit easily into my cabinet with room to spare, b) they come with a convenient handle built right in, and c) they are free. i noticed that you leave the labels on your soda bottles, is this so that light will not harm the roots ? will the light passing through my milk jugs be enough to harm roots ? the jugs wont be packed in there nearly as tightly as your soda bottles, so there will be some light down there.

regards, green.

They will grow just fine in Milk Jugs....
I have done it many times in the past...
later on try painting one...
see if it makes a difference to the Pheno you are growing.
:smoke:

k-lup

HERES AN IDEA: so of course your sog is sick but what if instead of a box style cab you used a cylindrical cab as in a trash can. rotate the plants inward as they grow, instead of left to right. idk maybe it wouldnt work as well.

Im currently ripping your idea and applying it to storages totes. though today i noticed my trash can from a previous (failed) grow. its a 36gal i think or close to that, but yeah saw that and the idea popped in my head.

Last edited:
Nice thread GreenGenes! You're the boss.
Just acquired a cfl myself...

Could you provide me with your master knowledge on how many watts are needed (min-max) per square foot?

My cfl is 125w, about 15" long without socket, 20" with socket. What dimensions would you advise for my growbox: length x width? I guess length will be 20". I can be flexible on height.

Love your dedication to the people, for real.
Thanks bro

thank you doc.you made me realize something.i fkd up!!heres my grow-adding 4 more but in smaller square pots.it never dawned on me 2 use these smaller square pots to flower them in.useing the new t5 in a 2x3 closet.i feel humbled -so worried about this ad that and i overlookd something so baic but so important-make the most out of your space.make evry inch count.square pot with 10 day old plants will b in tomoro .1st is 2 days b4 flowering-2nd is 1st day of flowerig-woke up 2 this after lowering lamp2-3 inches above tops.great job doc peace and overgrow

woot well my account finally got validated, so i thought i'd post thanks doc, this thread got me to icmag and has been... most inspirational. Am constructing a cab at the moment to do this. good work sir. cfl sog awaaaayyyy lol

Gist

Great system you've got there DrBudGreengenes and very nice of you to share it and take time to answer everyones questions. Love those tiny mom's!

For my first post i would like to thank the Dr. for inspiring me to go cfl's. i was this close to getting a 400 mh-hps, til i found this post. Anyways...
Thanks for sharing all ur skills you've learned over the years, decades. I've decided to join icmag and post my grow here. I've kinda copied the doc pretty much. closet grow, mother/clone shelf = 24"X24"20"H 24/0 lights= 5 23 watt 6500k cfl's for mom's, 1 23 watt 6500k for clones, pc fans for vents. and pc fan blowing on the baby seedlings soon to be mothers. flower room is not done, but its 24"X24"X32"H. All mylar instead of flat white. friend had some left over from his room. flowering lights= gonna get 10-42 watt 2700k cfl's. pc fan's venting that and diy filter depending on smell. Right now i have 2 feminized seedlings going ( :nono: ) and 1 dank bagseed going. also i have a 7 footer of unknown dank bagseed as well in my garden outside. I'm trying to clone that one to get going a lil faster and have a few different strains.

Question about cloning... How far away should my 23 watt 6500k cfl be from the top of my clones. I'm trying many different methods but i read that the further the better pretty much. Also should i get a heating pad underneath my clone tray? Temps in mother/clone room are 76-80. I took a temp in the humidity dome of the clones and it was 85. I've since installed a window ac in my bedroom and intake temps are down. so clone dome is prolly 80 now.
Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Dr. at what age do you start your submerge watering method on young seedlings? this i need to know because i tried ur method on an outside plant and it was sweet.

For anyone that can answer...How and where should i post my grow thread to get the most replies and help from all you pro's here at icmag.

G

how bout a step up

how bout a step up

I showed this thread to AF who I assist locally. She wants to do similar but 30oz cups and 250hps... What do you think Doc?

oohcow

hey dr. bud. You have inspired me. I was looking for a micro stealth way to grow... and I smoke more than PC cases usually can provide... but with this perpetual grow I might be able to hit my goal. I was going to buy pc cases off of mr.growpro but see that you've called him out earlier in this thread.. i'm not that handy and I wish i could PM but don't have the needed number of posts... Just wondering if there was an easy way i could build something similar to the size of a pc case and i'm really dumb with tools. I guess its time for me to research building my own pc case... or cabinet

Ok Doc, My mums i started from seed have bout 3 sets of leaves now. Prolly 3" tall maybe. I got pretty much the same nutes as you: superthrive, shultz 10-15-10, and fish emulsion. Are my seedlings big enough to start feeding a weak nute sulotion everyday with your submerge water technique? They're almost 2 weeks from poppin out of the soil.

Also on the light distance for clones. 23 watt cfl, 1" from the lid of my clone bucket(for heat/humidity purposes). Those big buckets of ice cream, with a clear plastic cake pan lid cut to fit and taped to the top, cloning with peat pots(i'm gonna give another go around with the perlite and vermiculite). Lights probably 4" from top of clones. Is this too close? or would they try and root faster if i had them a little further away? Anyways, first cloning method with my old liquid rooting hormone. supposed to soak clones in a mixture for 30 minutes then put 2 in perlite and 2 in vermiculite and dome went 0% success rate lol. Not a big deal to lose those clones as my mother plant in my garden is now like 7'. Second method in peat pots went 1/3 showed roots so far. transplanted into 20 oz bottle. 3rd method looks like im gonna have 6/6 success. been like 6 days now and all 6 look healthy. but i'd still like to know how far the lights should be from the clones. and how old the seedlings have to be before i started your submerge water/feed. Sorry for bombarding you with questions. I really did do like 4 weeks of reading before i started this indoor grow. Thanx

oohcow

Doc,

If my box is 15in L x 15in W x 36 in H do you think 2 26w CFLS will do for a mother + clone box... no clone shelf just all on 1 surface? I only want a couple clones from my mothers per week or 2 weeks..

lemme know what you think... you've inspired me i'm kinda starting a micro SOG tent grow when i have determined I have all the knowledge required to pull something successful off.

Last edited:

Gist

DrBudGreengenes,

Thank you for starting and maintaining this great thread. I mostly grow outside, but have learned a lot here that helps me with my bonsai moms and clones. I was having problems with the way I was watering my indoor plants, but soaking them has been the key!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
OohCow - I would use 4 26w Daylight bulbs(6500K) and 1 42w Warm White(2700K) and you may need to have a way to lower your lights or raise your pots closer cuz thats pretty tall...