What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coming out to my parents

IndiCarbed

Hey everyone! Iam kinda new here so excuse me if i have posted this on the wrong sector. Anyways...I am not from USA. In fact i am from Greece but i want as much help as i can get...and the Greek forum isnt so active.

Let's get straight to the point. I have been smoking for three years now ( i am 19). I know a lot about marijuana and it's positive and negative effects. The thing is that here in Greece the stigma you get if people know you are smoking is really harsh. My mother thinks that marijuana is not so different from heroin or any other drug. She hasn't done any research and believes only what she "sees" and hears from other people. Recently i tried talking to her about marijuana's medicinal effects and she looked at me like i was a junkie or something. Terrible feeling. She didn't respond when i asked her about her opinion...she was just silent. She already knew i was smoking...but she never asked me or csught me redhanded. The thing is...i don't want to be hiding in my closet waiting for my parents to get to work so i can enjoy a smoking session. I want to break free as Freddie said. But i am kinda terrifyed of what their reaction will be...or my mother's reaction as my father used to smoke and is more reluctant.

Did you guys experience any similar situations like mine? I really want to show them that smoking won't ruin my life, won't make me a junkie or anything bad. I would be really greatful if you could help me out on this one! Light one up for me! Cheers!

IndiCarbed

Hm...it's just that i am jealus of places like the usa that have legalized marijuana...and you can be open to your parents about it. My parents think that if its illegal its dangerous...

Z

Ziggaro

Maybe if your mother understood that most of the harmful drugs are heavily processed, she would think differently. Other than drying, you don't need to process MJ to use it.
My mom is a Christian, so I used that to help her understand why pot isn't bad. "Then God said, 'I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.'"
I got caught a couple times as a teenager.. My mom said I'd be in big trouble so I quit for a few months. A year later she found out again and said at least it wasn't cigarettes..
As an adult, I can tell my mom whatever because I take care of my bills, my house, my food. my laundry, my kids... If you don't have your life together, though, pot might not be the best thing for ya. JMHO

BTW tokers den is probably where you wanna post something like this.

Gramse

May I ask what you do when they go to work? Beside smoking? Do you have any job or study or something? /Gramse

IndiCarbed

The religion think worked really nice for my grandmother. I told her everything i said to my mother including that verse...and she believed...she was even making jokes about pkanting some medical mj! :) Your mother was mellow...i would probably be dead...either that or my mother would be depressed or something. Do you think if i show her some documentaries it might work? I talked to her about Rick that time but didn't show her any testimonies...!

Oh ok...can i move tge thread somehow?

IndiCarbed

I am studying atm. I didn't manage to score enough points so i could go to a univercity in my town...so i am doing it all over again. But what do you mean by that?

If you're still living with n caring about what your parents think, frankly you're not grown enough to change their minds about anything yet.

cheers,.........................gps

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
tell em to take a hit or shut up...older folks still believe the lies....my mom called it reefers..you still smoking reefers??? we I am still breathing so yes mom....yeehaw..she is gone now but still thought weed made you crazy and such lies..when in realty it replaced meds that the doctors would prescribe with side affects//I tried explaining but she never saw the light....you might be better off with the militarys take on being gay...don't ask ,,don't tell

Gramse

I am studying atm. I didn't manage to score enough points so i could go to a univercity in my town...so i am doing it all over again. But what do you mean by that?

What I meant was if you smoke all day long while they are at work I understand her worries. But if you work or studying and is functional daytime it's easier to convince her that weed isn't bad for you.

You didn't score enough ploints for univercity? Maybe that has something to do why she can't accept your use of weed? I don't want to sound like a dick but I know how it is. I'm from a country with the same attitude against weed as the greeks, it seems. I know how hard you have fight to be accepted as a weed smoker.

Edit: she might think your missing points is because you smoke weed? I know how my parents was. Blame weed for every failure I made. Thats what I meant when I said you have to fight hard. We have to work harder then the average non-smoker before they understand that weed don't make you to a drug addicts

Last edited:

soserthc1

At 19 the only reason to care what people think is because you need their approval ....

Do good and lead by example .
Get into that school , get a job , make your way for yourself and be you
Then that kinda stuff just falls in line.
I made the mistake of letting my 18 yr old add child smoke to help her function with homework. Now I have a 18yr old pot head , one year removed from high school with no direction that's killing my supply

Wendull C.

Veteran
If you hold your parents respect already and you have respect for them, I see no reason to push the issue.

Everyone I know, knows I smoke good weed but out of respect for my great uncle I would never disrespect him by smoking or being high around him, even though he is far from dumb and may have showed up a day too early to deer hunt and saw me lit up.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Keep it to yourself is my advice. You won't change their minds.

Listen to Jellyfish!

get a good vaporizer for those occasional times, the smell is more like popcorn than weed. Silver Surfer (SSV) is shipped as an aroma therapy device (get the aroma therapy top attachment), run it 24/7 with wax in the top and add oils occasionally for the aroma therapy recognition.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
Maybe when you are 40 and have your life in order and no longer give a fuck about anything tell the world.

circadian clock

if u really want to know whats up . when its just u and ur mom alone. jokingly tell her u and dad get high everyday and u wanted 2 to see what mom looks like high. so tell her that's why ur looking at her funny. 0r u could just light up in front of her.

Last edited: