What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Comfrey

my comfrey patch has gone a tad well this year so I'm going to be collecting it for use in my pots, I'm thinking of drying it so stores better for whenever I need it for teas or top dressings.
any here use it for your ladies?

IMG_1146_.jpg

island_organics

my comfrey patch has gone a tad well this year so I'm going to be collecting it for use in my pots, I'm thinking of drying it so stores better for whenever I need it for teas or top dressings.
any here use it for your ladies?

View attachment 18855095
I just took the first cut of my comfrey for this year which i’ve dried for mulching my pots. Awesome stuff, and grows back really fast. I need to dig this one up at the end of the year and make more plants out of it.
EAE7B2A3-D3E3-4EDD-84E4-A5FFE88ADF1A.jpeg
03556507-FE9E-4037-AF4C-C7EF8204F01C.jpeg
822F8B93-706B-4933-9F57-B8A185047ED3.jpeg
30E96038-5EB4-45DC-B870-D51B33D7C53D.jpeg

island_organics

I bought some from California 45 years ago.lits still everywhere

cut small root in100 pieces get 100 plants.. be careful
Yeah man i know. I had about six on the go but most died off. They are in very rocky, sandy clay and i probably let them get a little dry which eventually killed them off. This one is on the edge of a hugelkulture bed and gets more steady moisture so it’s thriving but won’t spread unless i irrigate the surrounding area.

Reactions: Rgd

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Russian Boking 14 never produces viable seeds, so it only spreads through roots. Definitely helps keep it in check. :)

This stuff makes a GREAT liquid fertilizer. Stuff a gallon jug full of the leaves, then poke holes in the bottom and the lid. Turn it upside down in a cottage cheese cup or quart jar, and then set it somewhere it won't be disturbed. The comfrey will slowly break down and drip a green (non-smelly) liquid into the jar. Great for foliar or root drench on a lot of plants. :)

leatherlola

The comfrey in my yard keeps getting powdery mildew whenever it rains for an extended time (>1 week). Anyone else have this problem?

I know it makes a decent fert/input for compost since it's so prolific, but I'm not so sure when it's full of powdery mildew.

amanda88

The comfrey in my yard keeps getting powdery mildew whenever it rains for an extended time (>1 week). Anyone else have this problem?

I know it makes a decent fert/input for compost since it's so prolific, but I'm not so sure when it's full of powdery mildew.
no problem, if concerned a light spray with neem oil will suffice,

for years my prime nute has always been comfrey and for (N): stinging nettle leaves, all rotted down in a large barrel, that I often forget to heap into, I tried reading the ppms, one time and think the ppms reach peak at about 2-3 weeks later after starting the tea, depending on local temps
with prices currently going crazy(2023) I'll be topping that 10 gallon drum very soon