What's new

Colorado recreational stores in January

tye7

Does anyone know what the deal is with recreational stores opening Jan 1st 2014? Will there be lots of dispensaries converting to retail on the 1st? Have any specific stores released any info or started up websites yet?

I'm really interested in anything that's going on in the Denver area in January... I can't seem to find ANYTHING online. Will there be any gatherings or festivals to celebrate? Midnight releases/sales on new years eve? :D

Thanks in advance for anything you guys can dig up

saluki

ICMag Donor
Fully legalized over the counter cannabis sales? I'm hoping as much as anyone but I sure am skeptical.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ha, the feds are gonna butt rape them for the first 5 years to make an example.

J

Johnny Redthumb

They can only sell an oz to state residents and a 1/4 to out of staters. Plus with all the taxes and it being handed over to the current medical shops, there won't be room for much quality. So if you like the taste of AVID across 12 strains that smell thee same and happy buying 7 grams at a time, be my guest.

monsoon

IF any of it happens, the medical dispensaries are the first to be allowed to open a separate store that will sell retail weed. They will have to keep their Med dispensary going to qualify from my understanding of it all. In addition, the limits for sales are 1/4 oz for residents and 1/8 oz for the tourons and 30-35% tax will be the minimum anyone assesses. Expect more tax in some areas! This is the new cash cow!

Should be a good money-maker between sales and the resulting busts from out of town folks using what they bought improperly/not according to law. (but, like, isn't it LEGAL there?)

LOFL

monsoon

My point was that "Legal" has it's limits and some folks will find out what those limits are.

Should be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Hi: I live near Denver and my favorite dispensary is still undecided as they are waiting on rules. The city of Denver is busily making up rules so nothing is really firm yet. So far Denver has decided only MMJ dispensaries can sell recreational weed for 2 years after Jan. 1. At first they were considering buffer zones which would exclude most of Denver and up to a 15% sales tax. They came to their senses and made the buffer the standard 1000 feet. They were wanting a wall and seperate entrances to a MMJ dispensary that sells recreational. That proposed rule lost out thank God. They decided on 3.5% sales tax which needs a vote this fall. Colorado has a law that any new tax or increase in an older tax needs to sucessfully pass a vote of the people. The politicos have been going nuts for years trying to evade that law by calling them fees instead of taxes. Anyway recreational weed is legal right now in the state but you can't buy it but someone can gift you. Recreational weed goes on sale Jan. 1st regardless if they are still screwing around with rules. Recreational is in the state constitution now so I am pretty sure they can't stop it.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
The state can't stop it, but if every single town bows out of the recreational market, it amounts to the same thing....

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
TAXES: It is my understanding that the state gets a 15% excise tax and the cities may have a sales tax up to 15% (which may be lowered but not raised later on). Yeah that is going to happen. LOL. The cities can decide on any amount of sales tax not to exceed 15%. Both the excise tax and also the sales taxes must sucessfully pass a vote of the people in the fall. That was an argument in Denver as some lunatics wanted the 15% tax to pay for all the added LEO etc.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
What is going to be the difference in medicine quality, price, and selection in a "retail" store vs dispensary?

Who will be supplying meds to these retail stores?

Any sign big business is working on a product suite?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
From what I see there will be the same product sold. The retail stores won't open for varying amounts of time depending on the city they are in. Also a lot of cities are not allowing retail stores but it is still legal under state law to possess weed. A big differance is that resident patients with a med card are allowed to buy at 18 years old but non-residents that buy recreational next year must be 21. Also non-residents are limited to 1/4 oz while residents are limited to 1 oz and med card holders may buy more (I think 3 oz.).

The stores must have vertical integration which means they grow what they sell. I think they are allowed to buy up to 30% from other sources.

There are signs that big business and independent entrepreneurs are starting to move into the weed business because it is the last great frontier.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
The sales price will depend on the taxes involved and each different city is setting up a different rate. Also I don't know if med card holders will have to pay the excise tax that goes to the state and is 15%. So far it seems to me that the state and cities are greedy and looking at weed sales as a chance to get a lot of money.

Jhhnn

Veteran
The state can't stop it, but if every single town bows out of the recreational market, it amounts to the same thing....

Clearly, Denver has no intention of doing so. While there is some dithering over the rules, dispensaries are gearing up for it, and if bonehead 'burbs don't want the tax money, we'll take it.

Product? Shee-it, Sherlock- it'll fly off the shelves like bats out of Carlsbad Cavern at sunset. People who haven't toked in years will be waiting in line, and legal growers will reap windfalls from what they've been building up. It'll be like Joe Kennedy miraculously having warehouses full of booze before the ink dried on the repeal of Prohibition.

I'll be there, cash in hand, just to have a receipt for framing, if nothing else.

Having been away from it for decades, I'm way behind the curve of modern varieties, like a lot of people, and Retail will be like a smorgasbord. I might just leave the store with 8 eighths, the legal limit, if they don't ration the stuff. Having been recently retired at that point, I'll have plenty of opportunity to sample, to test, to explore, see what I want to grow myself.

Y'all didn't think I'd pay retail forever, did you?

Jhhnn

Veteran
The sales price will depend on the taxes involved and each different city is setting up a different rate. Also I don't know if med card holders will have to pay the excise tax that goes to the state and is 15%. So far it seems to me that the state and cities are greedy and looking at weed sales as a chance to get a lot of money.

As if black market suppliers haven't seen it the same way since the 60's.

Med card holders are exempted from taxes on retail, iirc. Their current tax regimen will hold as is.

Which is the biggest reason people will still want med cards.

Jhhnn

Veteran
From what I see there will be the same product sold. The retail stores won't open for varying amounts of time depending on the city they are in. Also a lot of cities are not allowing retail stores but it is still legal under state law to possess weed. A big differance is that resident patients with a med card are allowed to buy at 18 years old but non-residents that buy recreational next year must be 21. Also non-residents are limited to 1/4 oz while residents are limited to 1 oz and med card holders may buy more (I think 3 oz.).

The stores must have vertical integration which means they grow what they sell. I think they are allowed to buy up to 30% from other sources.

There are signs that big business and independent entrepreneurs are starting to move into the weed business because it is the last great frontier.

Once the initial furor dies down, tourists who want more will just make more purchases. There is no limit to how many buys they can make. Buy a quarter in the morning, come back for another later in the day, after they've shopped around elsewhere. They have the same 1 oz on the street possession limit as everybody else.

They'd be well advised not to try to fly home with any, or even leave the State with it. Just enjoy it while you're here. Don't toke up where Smokey the Bear might be around. It'll be an opportunity for neighboring states to be their asshole selves, bet on it. Be smart- don't get busted.

http://norml.org/laws

People are gonna do what they're gonna do, in any event. If anything ends Colorado retail, it'll be too many tourists getting busted at the border. That invites the Feds.