What's new

Colorado Recreational pot passes MMJ

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Denver Post- Sept. 10,2014
Recreational sales were $29.7 million as MMJ sales were $28.9 million in July. The numbers finally seem to show Colorado's MMJ sales are leveling out and Recreation sales are increasing. Since Jan. 1st Colorado has brought in $37.5 million in taxes, fees, and licenses for Recreational and MMJ combined.

Does anyone else feel this is an obscene amount for the politicians to get from a plant that grows free in nature? I just don't like that much tax on a green plant.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I don't have the exact numbers, but some goes to the enforcement autocrats, some goes to hire more LEO, some goes to educate kids not to smoke weed, some goes to grants for scientific study of weed, and I imagine some will go into the general fund. They are having trouble finding colleges to take the money for studies as the colleges feel they will endanger the federal grants they also get. I am thinking that is the best use, to prove scientifically what we already know.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Denver Post- Sept. 10,2014
Recreational sales were $29.7 million as MMJ sales were $28.9 million in July. The numbers finally seem to show Colorado's MMJ sales are leveling out and Recreation sales are increasing. Since Jan. 1st Colorado has brought in $37.5 million in taxes, fees, and licenses for Recreational and MMJ combined.

Does anyone else feel this is an obscene amount for the politicians to get from a plant that grows free in nature? I just don't like that much tax on a green plant.

Freedom isn't free, I'm afraid. A big part of the reason A64 passed was the promise of sin tax revenue. A lot of people who were otherwise "meh" about the whole thing became strong supporters. I saw this in my former job among my coworkers. If they have to pay taxes on booze, cigarettes & hidden taxes on gambling, well then, pot smokers need to pitch in, too.

Or just call it paying tribute to Big Brother, but I figure it's worth it, all things considered. I'm confident that legalization will be good for consumers, to be honest. I believe that prices have to go down, and I think that people are willing to pay for convenience, safety, selection & consistent quality just like anything else, something the black market never really provided.

I think legalization is really good for the Country, too. It's a place where even libertarians & liberals can find common ground, where America can come to terms with itself in an honest way. Pot smoking is about as American as Mom & apple pie, has been for decades, so it's time for all of us to look at it as a normal thing, just like having a beer at the ballgame or buying a pack of cigarettes. It needs to be no big deal, and we're def moving in that direction despite the hoopla.

The kicker here in CO is personal growing. Growers don't have to pay taxes except on the electric bill & the rest of the stuff we buy. Hell, buying on the internet generally means no taxes anyway, although taxes are often cheaper than shipping.

Latest posts

Latest posts