What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado recommends pot tourism

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
3rd thread on the subject.

i still approve.

future vacation plans put in place :woohoo:

monsoon

Coffeeshops will likely not happen here because we have a statewide ban on smoking in bars, restaraunts and other public places. It is doubtful this will change or any allowances will be made for pot smokers. Gonna be interesting to see what eventually happens.

LubdaNugs

Veteran
Coffeeshops will likely not happen here because we have a statewide ban on smoking in bars, restaraunts and other public places. It is doubtful this will change or any allowances will be made for pot smokers. Gonna be interesting to see what eventually happens.
Bars, that derive some of their income from tobacco, are allowed to have smoking. I'm sure there will be a similar allowances for "Cannabis Bars".

Hydro-Soil

Veteran

I'm sorry... this 'smoking ban' only applies to filthy tobacco. ANY establishment can set up a 'smoking area' in their place, as long as they have the permission of the landlord. Cannabis only.

No state/county/city authority can tell you (as an owner of your property) whether or not you can smoke in your own establishment. That applies to visitors/customers as well.

No commercial cannabis license needed to just allow folks to smoke there.

Yes! Bars can set up a smoking room and I'm surprised they haven't yet. Every coffeeshop should have a ventilated room or smoking patio soon... or they're going to lose out on potential business.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

monsoon

You are correct that >currently< cannabis is not yet regulated like tobacco is in such an indoor situation, but the State is already moving to treat cannabis like tobacco. These are the first recommendations from the advisory panel. I highlighted the issues relating to smoking indoors and in bars/etc.

The recommendations include:

*Marijuana retailers must have both state and local approval.
*For the first year, retail licenses are restricted to operators of existing licensed medical marijuana dispensaries.
*For the first three years, retailers must grow 70% of the marijuana they sell, similar to existing medical marijuana regulations.
*Enact two taxes — a 15 percent excise tax paid by shops where cannabis is sold, and an additional sales tax for customers.
*Restrict access to the marijuana by minors.
*Provide law enforcement officers with new training to catch impaired drivers.
*Update the state’s Clean Air Act to include the effect of marijuana smoke.
*Allow employers to prohibit off the job marijuana use by employees.
*Allow marijuana to be sold to out-of-state visitors who are 21 or older.
*Limit the amount of marijuana sold to a customer in a single purchase, perhaps to an eighth at a time. Colorado’s law only allows possession of up to an ounce of marijuana by individuals.
*Limit marijuana advertising, similar to existing alcohol and tobacco advertising regulations.
*Require marijuana to have child-proof packaging.
*Emphasize that it’s illegal for marijuana to be given away in exchange for a donation.
*Make marijuana part of bar and restaurant smoking bans, possibly making so-called “cannabis clubs” or “smoking clubs” illegal.
*Prohibit growing marijuana outdoors.
*Create a regulatory system similar to that in medical marijuana dispensaries that follows recreational marijuana from seed to sale.
*Require that marijuana products have potency labeling, but there should be no restrictions on THC content.

Colorado Clean Air Act of 2006

What’s Included In The Law

Beginning July 1, 2006, smoking will no longer be allowed in most
indoor public places including (but not limited to):

Restaurants, bars, gaming facilities such as bingo halls,
billiard or pool halls, bowling alleys, public buildings, grocery
stores or any food service establishment

Theaters, museums, libraries, schools, educational
institutions, and common areas of retirement facilities,
publicly-owned housing facilities and nursing homes

Lobbies, elevators, restrooms, reception areas, hallways and
any other common-use areas in public and private buildings,
condominiums and other multiple-unit residential facilities

Indoor sports arenas, gymnasiums and auditoriums
Health care facilities, hospitals, health care clinics,
doctor’s offices and child day care facilities

Common areas in hotels and motels, and no less than 75% of
hotel or motel sleeping quarters rented to guests

Jury waiting and deliberation rooms, courtrooms and
public meetings

Government-owned mass transportation of any kind, taxicabs
and limousines not under private hire

Any place of employment not exempted. (See exemptions)

Entryways – The 15 Foot Rule
In addition, smoking will not be allowed within 15 feet of your
establishment’s main entryway unless defined differently by a local
law. For more information, contact your local public health agency.

Can you show an allowance for cannabis, Hydro? Please back up what you are saying here with fact if you are going to state it as fact. I musta missed it.

guineapig

Veteran
No cannabis smoking in limousines not under private hire?

I see the future: a private hire limousine service, to take you to and
from music events, as long as its private hire you could have a
canna-bar in place of the mini-bar.

Limo driver applicants must have extensive knowledge of cannabis strains.

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
#1 Cannabis smoke is not carcinogenic and the clean air act is based on that... not people disliking the smell of tobac smoke. Lots of studies of tobac and cannabis smokers and the cannabis smokers don't have the cancer that tobac users do.

#2 Section 6 paragraph (d) NOTHING IN THIS SECTION SHALL PROHIBIT A PERSON, EMPLOYER, SCHOOL, HOSPITAL, DETENTION FACILITY, CORPORATION OR ANY OTHER ENTITY WHO OCCUPIES, OWNS OR CONTROLS A PROPERTY FROM PROHIBITING OR OTHERWISE REGULATING THE POSSESSION, CONSUMPTION, USE, DISPLAY, TRANSFER, DISTRIBUTION, SALE, TRANSPORTATION, OR GROWING OF MARIJUANA ON OR IN THAT PROPERTY.

Basically it's up to the PROPERTY OWNER whether people can smoke on their property. The city, state, county can't change that.

They CAN prevent you from charging folks ca$h to join a 'club'. That's a completely different situation.

Any property owner in Col can allow folks to smoke cannabis on their property... as long as its not in open view of the public.

KAT

headed to col for 420 .legalized weeed un fucking real.one for the good guys.i hope maine will be next.we are trying.be nice to go to disp to purchase our meds when we get there,but probibly not this year.

monsoon

#1 Cannabis smoke is not carcinogenic and the clean air act is based on that... not people disliking the smell of tobac smoke. Lots of studies of tobac and cannabis smokers and the cannabis smokers don't have the cancer that tobac users do.

#2 Section 6 paragraph (d) NOTHING IN THIS SECTION SHALL PROHIBIT A PERSON, EMPLOYER, SCHOOL, HOSPITAL, DETENTION FACILITY, CORPORATION OR ANY OTHER ENTITY WHO OCCUPIES, OWNS OR CONTROLS A PROPERTY FROM PROHIBITING OR OTHERWISE REGULATING THE POSSESSION, CONSUMPTION, USE, DISPLAY, TRANSFER, DISTRIBUTION, SALE, TRANSPORTATION, OR GROWING OF MARIJUANA ON OR IN THAT PROPERTY.

Basically it's up to the PROPERTY OWNER whether people can smoke on their property. The city, state, county can't change that.

They CAN prevent you from charging folks ca$h to join a 'club'. That's a completely different situation.

Any property owner in Col can allow folks to smoke cannabis on their property... as long as its not in open view of the public.

You may be right..in a PRIVATE setting. However, a coffeeshop, (as we are defining it by the amsterdam model) like a bar, exists as a business that is open to the PUBLIC to make a profit, and therefore, would be subject too any and all regulationes/ordinances/etc that are set by the jurisdiction the establishment is located in.

Think of titty bars/strip clubs. They are regulated in most if not all jurisdictions in CO. Some jurisdictions have banned them outright. If you were a property owner in one of these areas with a ban you could not open a strip club simply because you want to and own the property!! If the law of the county/city/town says otherwise you are bound to that law. Try it and see. (after you open your head shop, of course)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
You may be right..in a PRIVATE setting. However, a coffeeshop, (as we are defining it by the amsterdam model) like a bar, exists as a business that is open to the PUBLIC to make a profit, and therefore, would be subject too any and all regulationes/ordinances/etc that are set by the jurisdiction the establishment is located in.
Actually... it's not public.

A coffee shop is a private business. As a business owner I can tell police officers to leave my property. You can't do that if it's "Public". If I say it's "OK" to smoke in my establishment... they can toke away, as long as it's not in open view of the public and I'm the owner of the property and say it's "Ok". People also have the right NOT to come into my establishment because they don't like the smell or thought of being around cannabis. *shrug* Quite a small percentage of colorado that's getting smaller by the minute. LOL

The jurismydicktion of the area only controls what I can do if I CHARGE for it or if it's in open public view. Thereby setting it up under commercial regs. That becomes a 'club' where people are paying to be able to smoke or somecrap. That's not what I'm talking about here.

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
so if i consume thc in a legal state and return home and test positive at work ,do i have legal recourse ,as it was con sumed where it is legal,?and then there are the states that do warrentless blood draws,?

MPL

Nope. If you go on a ski vacation in CO and stay stoned the whole time, then pop positive on a piss test in your home state, you're probably gonna lose your job. You will have zero legal recourse and you won't be able to collect unemployment, COBRA or anything like that.

This is especially true if you work for the government or for a company that is a drug free work place.

so if i consume thc in a legal state and return home and test positive at work ,do i have legal recourse ,as it was con sumed where it is legal,?and then there are the states that do warrentless blood draws,?

monsoon

Hydro- The lady in Lafayette with the Tea Shop that was closed down thought the same thing. She is suing the city to see if she (and you) are right.

When you get the head shop open and the weed distribution network going and finally get to opening this coffee shop, let us know, please.

monsoon

FYI folks.....the employees in Colorado also have NO protection under amendment 64 from losing their job for marijuana usage - either on or off the job.

MPL

I read somewhere that there was a bill being proposed to remedy this for non-dangerous type jobs. Have you heard anything about it?

Something to keep in mind, CA lawmakers voted NOT to protect employees from job termination because they smoked pot off the clock.

FYI folks.....the employees in Colorado also have NO protection under amendment 64 from losing their job for marijuana usage - either on or off the job.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hydro- The lady in Lafayette with the Tea Shop that was closed down thought the same thing. She is suing the city to see if she (and you) are right.

When you get the head shop open and the weed distribution network going and finally get to opening this coffee shop, let us know, please.

It will get hammered over and over until it gets put correctly. Too many establishments would thrive with a smoking room/area.

The city is going to find out that a "Club" is something you pay to enter. Just allowing people to smoke on the property does not make it a 'club' under any legal definition. The city has to abide by the legal definitions.

All these counties and cities banning "Pot Clubs" are simply banning commercial fees being collected for peeps to gather in a 'room'. There are legal implications for running a 'club' of any kind when money is involved.

This is gonna be sooooooo cool! :woohoo:

p.s. Yes, I'll let everyone know when the 'shop' is open and post how things are working out. :) Distribution network? I think that's a pretty formal name for sharing cannabis between neighbors... don't you think? LOL