What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado-POT PLAN WOULD STRAIN AUTHORITIES, FOES SAY

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
POT PLAN WOULD STRAIN AUTHORITIES, FOES SAY
(Source:rocky mountain news)
Regional News

21 Sep 2006

Colorado
-------
Voter approval of a statewide ballot measure that would legalize possession of small amounts of marijuana would put further strains on federal law enforcement officials, opponents of the proposal said Wednesday.

Drug runners will begin trafficking large amounts of marijuana to sell if Colorado voters approve the amendment, drug enforcement agency special agent Jeffrey Sweetin said.

Large amounts, he added, become a serious federal problem.

"It will clearly impact what we do," he said.

"Right now, a smaller amount of focus is on pot, but if this passes, we will be able to focus less and less on other drugs, and pot will become a major focus."

Standing with medical professionals, Sweetin and Lt. Gov. Jane Norton urged voters to reject Amendment 44 in November.

That measure would legalize possession of less than an ounce of marijuana by adults throughout Colorado.

Calvina Fay, executive director of Florida-based Save Our Society from drugs, said "the stakes are very high" because she believes that this is just the first step toward the pro-Amendment 44 forces' eventual goal of legalizing all drugs throughout the nation.

She also said that legalization would undo much of the anti-drug education that has been a staple of educating youth.

"Messages that drugs can hurt, addict or kill have had a positive effect by decreasing overall drug use," Fay said.

"Certainly by legalizing and normalizing, you're sending the wrong message to children."

The fight over the ballot measure, which a recent Rocky Mountain News/CBS 4 poll showed to be failing 53 percent to 42 percent, has centered largely on the medical effects of marijuana and the age of those who would be allowed to smoke the drug.

Fay said that the amendment would make it legal for an adult to give an ounce of marijuana to a 15-year-old, but proponents said that is misleading.

Mason Tvert, campaign manager for a group that supports the amendment, said that there are already laws on the books that make it a felony to provide marijuana to a minor.

His group wants to make it legal only for those over 21 to possess pot, he said.

Tvert said the opposition forces "bend the truth" about marijuana and are using scare tactics to defeat the measure - including the charge that they're part of a national movement to legalize all drugs and are funded by wealthy individuals and political action groups.

"I have no interest in other drugs, and we don't intend to run a statewide campaign anywhere else in the country," Tvert said.

"They're also trying to say we took money from ( billionaire Democratic donor ) George Soros. We've never received a cent from George Soros, and believe me, if he offered me $1 or $1,000, I'd take it."

[Sidebar]

DEA Special Agent Jeffrey Sweetin holds a baggie of fake marijuana cigarettes as Lt. Gov. Jane Norton, right, and national drug policy and prevention experts conduct a news conference Wednesday to announce a campaign urging voters to reject Amendment 44. The ballot measure would legalize possession of small amounts of marijuana statewide.

Think of the children........Yeah the ones that often have more access to cannabis than most adults. What a joke.

In my opinion, this is not the best way to go about legalizing cannabis. There WILL be more government waste because of this measure. YOU'VE GOT TO LEGLIZE IT FOR ADULTS COMPLETELY, OR IT WILL NOT WORK.

http://www.mapinc.org/norml/v06/n1257/a11.htm

Last edited:
G

It’s the politicians that need to be educated I can’t believe they always compare cannabis to other drugs there is no relation. I have seen meth, coke, crank, users and they are just not the same it destroys there life, but the only people destroying cannabis users lives are the federal government by making people look on the black market for herb and using there value earned $ to pay inflated prices and then imprisoning and ticketing to make the government $. And just to inform Colorado government officials it’s very easy to mail cannabis vacuum sealed in various items such as computer or popcorn tins :) as it’s being done as we speak.

Latest posts

Latest posts