What's new

Colorado Growers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbomber79

Veteran
Thanks for posting bro I'm still curious to find out what happened. Please check the roots when you are finished tell us if they are brown or white.
:tiphat:

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
that spider actually looks like a male Amaurobius ferox (Hacklemesh Weaver)

got a picture of its eye arrangement?

MHBGuy

that spider actually looks like a male Amaurobius ferox (Hacklemesh Weaver)

got a picture of its eye arrangement?

Found himself a nice corner behind a big pot and has been littering the joint with dead gnats.

Another shot, maybe a little sharper.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 4

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
he's a male for sure... could either be Eratigena agrestis (Hobo Spider) or the Amaurobius ferox... possibly another closely related funnel weaver to the Amaurobius....

We shall call him

"Neighborhood Watch"

Source:Amateur Entomologist LMFAO

That spider is what is localy called a True Wolf Spider. The funnel name makes scense since it does make a very tight 3/4 to 1 inch funnel like nest around the opening of any hole it finds(females)...seems to prefer prarrie dog holes right after large plauge kills...oh yeah did anyone bother to mention that Colorado has been one of the largest homes to bubonic Plauge and Anthrax for over a century to any of you fools moving up this way? Natives like me who have spent their lives out in the brush have had limitted exposure and thus built up immunity. Those of you relocating here after puberty just die after uncovering a pocket. Don't believe me? Then just go playing around near those alkaly feilds...I might get called to play drums at your funeral.

But what has always cracked me up is all the those people from back East who call the little jumping spiders wolf spiders. There are 2 species of those jumping spiders around here, 1 brown and one black...I forgot the true taxonimy decades ago since they are so close.
The true wolf spider is your garden's greatest ally. They hunt out areas over 100 yards in circumferance(mostly males in about 60%), i have SEEN this not just taken the couple of books wrong descriptions. They hunt EVERYTHING about their size and smaller(i have seen 2 kill small mice). The jumping spiders actually eat black-widows as one of their favorite meals. True wolf spiders are so smart that they are one of the few arachnids you can actually teach to do a couple of limmited tricks. Mainly those involve taking prey from your hand. I think that they don't really learn but are so fearless that they just don't care what is holding dinner...a long argument that has no resolution untill you can read one's mind.

I hope you can get this plant back to norn. It is hard to give up one when you have nutured it through veg all the way to budding. I had to kill 2 plants over the weekend my-self and am in deep fear about what all this rain this year might bring in the near future. My plastic roofs are too close to what you describe as your suspected problem...No solution to that but to wait for a drier year...???

Last edited:

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
That spider is what is localy called a True Wolf Spider.

Certainly closely enough related to a weaver and similar in appearance and behavior, so also a rather good candidate, in any event, he's a predator.

sidenote

Armadillos in Texas still carry leprosy.

MHBGuy

She's pretty rough. Buds on the bad branches that I was hoping were still OK, are fading. The surviving portion of the plant still seems OK.

Is it better to cut bait on the fading branches and freeze or dry them for use in some cannabutter or just let them dry on the plant?

Figure seeds and if I can maybe grab a couple of clones are my best choices for the remnant at this point.

When the whip comes down.

Attachments

• WalkingDeadd77.jpg
    WalkingDeadd77.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Munson

Veteran
Drying some bokashi or as I like to call it "Co"kashi being how all the ingredient are from within. Ooooooooo that smell!

Munson

Veteran
Only a couple bucks to make a decent amount and it will take you furthur

Attachments

• DSCN3356.jpg
    DSCN3356.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Got hail up here yesterday afternoon.

My timing is/was atrocious as usual. I had taken the polycarbonate roof panels off to change from smoked to clear. Then it rained and hailed.

Plants will survive, just lost 3-4 dozen leaves. Got up this morning and installed the clear panels..... hopefully there will be enough light now. The girls were just starting to bloom, so it just turned out to be a light pruning. lol

C

CaliGabe

Drying some bokashi or as I like to call it "Co"kashi being how all the ingredient are from within. Ooooooooo that smell!
I messed around with bokashi for about a year and loved it. Had 3 5 gallon home-made buckets going. I would bury a handful or two in my mater garden away from the plants and within a few days would dig that spot back up and worms all over it. Bokashi is like candy for worms.

C

CaliGabe

My timing is/was atrocious as usual. I had taken the polycarbonate roof panels off to change from smoked to clear. Then it rained and hailed.
Men make plans and God laughs at them. Outdoor agriculture is tough and we're all Mother Nature's bitches. If she wants to squash you like a bug not much you can do about it except be as prepared as possible.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
She's pretty rough. Buds on the bad branches that I was hoping were still OK, are fading. The surviving portion of the plant still seems OK.

Is it better to cut bait on the fading branches and freeze or dry them for use in some cannabutter or just let them dry on the plant?

Figure seeds and if I can maybe grab a couple of clones are my best choices for the remnant at this point.

When the whip comes down.

Any necrotic patches on the main stem? you really could have anything from fusarium or verticillium wilt.... beginning stages of root rot.... all the way to caterpillars or boring beetles or other root pests....

I would recomend taking a couple of cuts to clone before this spreads. I have tried several times to bring them back after starting and found that after a certain point they never do come back right. If you noticed it sooner and transplanted fast it bumps up success to around 80% but after several days of spreading they seem to have a point of no return. The plant might live after that point but it will always cause more problems and never reach a full dense maturation. I just would never trust seeds taken under such conditions...but there isn't any kind of real science behind my feelings on this.

Sorry about the rant last night SeafOur. I got half blizted after our neigbor transplant from califormorons had his lab/pitbull mix try to attack me in my garage. The mutt lost bad and the owner was trying to see what i might do to him...I was in one of those rare moods.
The locals calling them "true" wolf spiders doesn't mean a thing to the zoological taxonimy...i don't think that i ever bothered to look that up to be honest. They just added true because of how many people moving here call jumping spiders wolfs. Lets face it, nomenclature has always been my week point...had to take zool twice to get above a c and always dbl checking in chem...to this day, but i have gotten worse thanks to chemo brain. The price you pay to live.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Bro, you're good.... I didn't even take it that way... and the suggestion certainly was a good candidate that I had discounted, although I do not recall why...

Status
Not open for further replies.