What's new

Colorado Growers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorje113

Wow, that's an issue I've never seen before. I will say that some basements just don't "work"... very few but I have seen a couple that plants just weren't happy in. Maybe radiation levels are too high, IDK.

I can say that flowering is caused by a hormone that is light sensitive, so go with 24 hours of light instead of 18, and try a different light in case the ballast/bulb is having issues and turning on/off on it's own.

Cloud 9

Have you had this problem continue since you switched to rain water?

What is your rain-water gathering method? (Whatcha catchin' it in and what's it dripping off of?)

Using Cal-Mag? (Some has been testing at about 300% strength and messing up grows)

Fill out the questions in this thread that pertain to your setup and post it here please. :D

Stay Safe! :D

1- we have been using rain water with all of the plants in the room now

2- we are catching rain off our barn/gutters. it is filtered through a paint strainer to catch the big things (leaves/twigs) then stored in 55g drums.

3- we arent adding any cal mag, although we do have some.

I answered after the questions..

How long has this problem been going on? ~ 10 months
What STRAIN are you growing?
various (bagseed, kali kush, headband, nycd)
What was the establishing technique?
(seed or clone?) problems appear with both seed sprouts and clones.
What is the age of your plants?
seeds are 6-7 weeks old, clones unknown age.
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
6-7 weeks
Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before?
yes same soil. humbolt
How Tall are the plants?
between 8in - 28in tall
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
both seedling and vegetative
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
FIM technique
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
1g grow bags, 5x5in square pots, 3g grow bags
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
humbolt mix, no amendments
What brand Nutrient's are you using?
none
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
How often are you feeding?
n/a
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
n/a
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
n/a
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
n/a
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?
not tested
How often are you testing pH/ppm/EC/TDS?
rarely
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?
hanna ph pen
How often are you watering?
when needed. every 2-3 days
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
n/a
What size bulb are you using?
250w CMH (also happened with CFLs and a 600w MH and HPS)
How old is your bulbs?
2 months
What is the distance to the canopy?
24+in
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
50-65%
What is the canopy temperature?
85*
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
65* - 90*
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
yes. 2 circulation fans, 1 exhaust fan.
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
runs through out the 18hr cycle, then a few times during the night cycle.
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
not directly, but enough to move air around.
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
no
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
using rain water.
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
rain water
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen) n/a
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen) n/a
Are you using water from a water softener? n/a
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? the bigger 2 were recently FIM'd. the seeds havent been trimmed
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? none
Are plant's infected with pest's?
no

Dorje113 -
thanks for the suggestion. i will put the lights on 24/7.
we had this same problem over the summer and ended up putting a few plants outside after they appeared to start flowering indoors. they reverted back to veg and vegged a month or so before they flowered completely outdoors.
i have been told the light cycle is the main thing that causes them to flower. but we have tried multiple timers and multiple lights...

thanks again for any suggestions.

A long time ago I had some plants that were being stored, temporarily, under a 100 watt MH, and that light was about 6 ft above the plants. It only puts out about 10,000 lumens, and that's right next to the bulb. So, maybe 2 wks go by while my slow ass remodels the room they are supposed to go in. And low and behold when I move them back, they had started to flower, even thought there were lit by that weak light, 24/7......

Something to think about, I don't know shit about CMHs, do they wear out? I know Metal Halide bulbs wear out about twice as fast as HPS......

Dorje113

Try a different space... set up a small closet upstairs with a 250 MH or some fluros and see if it still happens.

Also, try a different media. Maybe 50% FFOF organic potting mix, 25% each perlite and peat moss. Then water with 1 tsp/gal of Age Old Grow. That's what I've been using for a LONG time.

Space Case

Veteran
IMG_4591.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have russet mites on your bottom shoots. I found that russet mite damage stresses veg plants to the point that they shoot pistils and do a lot of weird stuff!

Those damn russet mites are everywhere right now! You need to get that treated ASAP!

Cloud 9

is it possible to stress a plant into flowering?

can a excess or lack of any nutrient cause a plant to flower?

why doesnt whatever triggers my plants to flower, continue to make them flower? it seems odd that is starts, but stops.

ill see if i can get a small veg area setup upstairs.

so much for "grows like a weed", ha.

edit:
thanks for the tip. researching russet mites now.

Dorje113

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have russet mites on your bottom shoots. I found that russet mite damage stresses veg plants to the point that they shoot pistils and do a lot of weird stuff!

Those damn russet mites are everywhere right now! You need to get that treated ASAP!

Good catch!

G

GOOROO

is it possible to stress a plant into flowering?

can a excess or lack of any nutrient cause a plant to flower?

why doesnt whatever triggers my plants to flower, continue to make them flower? it seems odd that is starts, but stops.

ill see if i can get a small veg area setup upstairs.

so much for "grows like a weed", ha.

edit:
thanks for the tip. researching russet mites now.

damn you are still lurkin huh?

still brewing beer or anything?
what cuts do you have?

Cloud 9

it looks like this is the problem. good catch!

we have been recommended azamax. use it twice in a week to kill the reproduction cycle.

is there any other suggestions?

GOOROO - im still around. we moved out of your area though, moved to a bit lower elevation.
i thought you were long gone from here.... ill pm you later.

aceofspades

Got my 2nd light in today, going to set up the room half way tomorrow. If my lamp cords do not reach the outlets, what are you guys using to extend them? I am thinking heavy duty 10g extension. Thoughts on this? I am going to set up the right side of the room and the cords will reach no problem, but the left side is where I might run into a problem.

Ace

aceofspades

so it hooks to the existing lamp cord?
Guess that would make sense. I will have to research this a bit. Still trying to get my fan and filter set up. Hoping I wont need to air cool the lights and the heat will disperse into the room decently..well until I hook up the other 2k bwahahahah. So excited.

Ace

Dorje113

They sell longer power cords at way to grow

If you're talking about the cord from the ballast to the light then get these, the ballasts put out a higher voltage than what's feeding them and they require lamp cords that are rated to handle that voltage.

If you're talking power from the ballasts to the power receptacles, then a heavy duty extension cord is ok. If you're running 240V you might have to buy a longer cord from WTG or build your own power cord.

G

greenmatter

so it hooks to the existing lamp cord?
Guess that would make sense. I will have to research this a bit. Still trying to get my fan and filter set up. Hoping I wont need to air cool the lights and the heat will disperse into the room decently..well until I hook up the other 2k bwahahahah. So excited.

Ace

they plug in between the ballast and the lamp cord and they are made for that purpose. plug and play. i think i payed $12 for mine ... they are made by/for hydrofarm

Do you think it's safe to bring new houseplants into the house?

Where my wife works the company that mantains the plants in the lobby switches them out every month.
The employees are welcome to take the old ones home
a coworker took a couple home and about a week later
was telling my wife that they were covered in mites.
Of course my wife played dumb like she didn't know what they were.

Obvoiusly we don't want any plants from there
but do you think it's ok to go out and buy a couple house plants
or am I just being mite paranoid?

we have a plant that comes in every winter and back out on the porch every summer. i do spray it when it comes in and it is on a different floor than other things growing. It is advised that grows not be subject to house plants, just as a matter of safety....just sayin

Status
Not open for further replies.