What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collection, processing and distribution of free meds in Colorado?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hey all, :)

The medical end of cannabis in colorado is screwed, when it comes to actually helping out patients in need.

As an average joe over the age of 21 in Colorado, I can go door to door and collect an ounce from each house. Better yet, folks can bring an ounce to a donation location. (I actually see this working well... in a few years)

Someone like myself that has the equipment to process it into oil, hao, simpson oil, canna-caps, canna-ghee and the like.... and then re-distribute it to the folks in the surrounding community that need it. Lots of folks are not 'hip' to cannabis... but if you help them out with a sore that won't heal, skin cancer

The medical end cannot do this and have their hands tied.

How would YOU... go about contacting folks in the surrounding community about cannabis and organize something like the above?

I'm looking for any and all feasible options that maintains a good image of cannabis. :)

:thank you:

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

S

SeaMaiden

I have found getting patients together in any organized fashion to be a rather difficult proposition in my county. However, the patient advocacy group I work with has a program with call the Patient Provider Program. Patients who grow are able to donate excess meds to another patient who our group has qualified as being in need of assistance. We act as an intermediary for everyone's safety. Excess meds are donated and go where they should to the best of our ability. No money ever exchanges hands for this, it's just a pure donation. We do not keep the product ourselves, nor do we typically process it. I donate a portion of my trim to the group so that it can go to other patients for whatever processing they so choose.

In terms of helping create a better public image of cannabis and cultivators, we also use fiscal donations and put those towards 501(c)(3) charitable organizations, but ONLY those who will publicly accept the donation. We have found that very few organizations are willing to publicly accept donations from a cannabis advocacy group, however. We also help patients by building gardens for those who need such help, but can perform most of the gardening functions themselves. I haven't been able to get in on one of these garden-building days, but do look forward to it sometime in the future.

S

SeaMaiden

Oh, come on. Look at the time difference between the double posts!

Last edited:
G

greenmatter

good luck with that one hydro .......

i think herding cats would be much less frustrating

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I have found getting patients together in any organized fashion to be a rather difficult proposition in my county. However, the patient advocacy group I work with has a program with call the Patient Provider Program. Patients who grow are able to donate excess meds to another patient who our group has qualified as being in need of assistance. We act as an intermediary for everyone's safety. Excess meds are donated and go where they should to the best of our ability. No money ever exchanges hands for this, it's just a pure donation. We do not keep the product ourselves, nor do we typically process it. I donate a portion of my trim to the group so that it can go to other patients for whatever processing they so choose.

In terms of helping create a better public image of cannabis and cultivators, we also use fiscal donations and put those towards 501(c)(3) charitable organizations, but ONLY those who will publicly accept the donation. We have found that very few organizations are willing to publicly accept donations from a cannabis advocacy group, however. We also help patients by building gardens for those who need such help, but can perform most of the gardening functions themselves. I haven't been able to get in on one of these garden-building days, but do look forward to it sometime in the future.

Awesome! :thank you:

So frustrating to have the medical end tied up... so many growers that are already organized. Here in colorado they're so paranoid about 'diversion' of meds to illegal sources by the growers... the plants are on cctv 24/7 to the colorado dpt of revenue. Even at night with infra red. Tracked from seed to sale on video.
What a MASSIVE waste of resources.

This is just going to take a lot of time is all. I plan on changing this town significantly in the next 10 years. :tiphat:

S

SeaMaiden

I think that paranoia is appropriate, given what I know. This is why our patient group acts as it does with absolutely no money changing hands that's tied to cannabis in any way, shape or form. The only money we have is what's donated and the annual membership dues, which are ultimately donated in some way or function. We are specifically not a 501(c)(3), by the way, because that's a federal tax schedule and causes more problems than it solves. This can hinder fiscal donations, because if someone's giving a chunk of change (we've had folks who'll donate several hundred dollars at a time, not many, but still, it's happened) they often want the tax write-off.

Our goal, my goal, I think everyone's goal with regard to mainstreaming cannabis is to blur lines and humanize, as well as break paradigms and stereotypes. When I make an appearance somewhere, I'm dressed well, in a suit or nice dress. My hair is done (to the best of my ability), I wear some make-up. I make a choice to *not* go in looking half-assed, or like a hippie mama despite my love and desires. Often people assume I am an attorney, and I feel that suits my purpose--to blur the lines, to humanize us, to show the rest of the world another face to put to 'smokes weed.'

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I think that paranoia is appropriate, given what I know. This is why our patient group acts as it does with absolutely no money changing hands that's tied to cannabis in any way, shape or form.
Why do you keep bringing money into this? Colorado people are allowed to freely give and share amongst themselves.

I'm talking about organizing locals to encourage this and increase the awareness of medicinal uses. Plain and simple.

As for dress? Nobody 'guesses' I use cannabis unless I tell them. Quite a shock to most.

The reduction of paranoia and greater acceptance of cannabis happens with education.

G

greenmatter

one money angle you might not be considering has to do with taxes

i am 100% behind what you are trying to do but A.) there will be people involved (so you can count on drama) B.) even if you are doing it all for free there will be a taxman who won't believe you (and your trouble will start within the group ...... because of A.) ..... and the taxman will be used to cut your throat

what you are wanting to do makes sense ....... so you know the government and the folks seeing dollar signs are going to be your enemy

not that that is anything new to most of us here

Galactic

Re: Collection, processing and distribution of free meds in Colorado?

What type of funding will be needed to carry out your purpose?

Are you guys using money or hugs n handshakes?

An enterprise needs financing hydro. Don't be so dense.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
hugs n handshakes

If it were anything more than that, I'd just go out and get funding for it formally.

Yeah, we could use donations of equipment, food grade ethanol and the like... that will come in time. Right now we just process what we can get and distribute it to the few folks we're in contact with already. Looking to eventually pick up and assemble the parts for a reclamation still, cut down on the ethanol costs.

I guess the bigger issue is the lack of clean growing growers around here. There are probably 15 growers within a mile radius of me and the product is mostly contaminated with pesticides... the rest is only good for topicals or (with a lot of processing and filtering) edibles. That's a LOT of trim I'm not willing to use.

On the upside... I've found ghee to be particularly easy/quick to add cannabinoids to and palatable and easy to use for the user as well. Butter is cheaper to use than ethanol that gets used once. :)

Once the butter is made into ghee, you can heat it up to 250F and drop your kief, ground hash or oil into it. The CO2 boil off appears as a milky haze. 15-20 minutes later you're done. :)

S

SeaMaiden

Why do you keep bringing money into this? Colorado people are allowed to freely give and share amongst themselves.
Because it's pertinent to the discussion, especially given a conversation I had just yesterday. I also know that a lot of Colorado weed is going out of state, and that ain't for free, is it? Is it from those folks you're looking to for participation?

Now, considering that I've been pretty much the only one to respond to you with anything resembling an intelligent, workable answer, why do you feel the need to attack me like that? I don't get it. Do you want information, or do you just want to see your own posts?
I'm talking about organizing locals to encourage this and increase the awareness of medicinal uses. Plain and simple.
No one's ever done that before!
As for dress? Nobody 'guesses' I use cannabis unless I tell them. Quite a shock to most.
Same here. Not so much with many others. I'm talking about breaking stereotypes, not fulfilling them.
The reduction of paranoia and greater acceptance of cannabis happens with education.

I don't disagree on that. I do disagree with attacking people who are trying to help or discuss something. Try being nicer.

mericanfiend

Are you the guy on Denver craigslist "currently accepting donations of any kind"?

Hahaha. Think I'll follow suit! :biggrin:

Seriously though, do you have a progress report for us?