What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collecting, Storing, and Mailing Pollen

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
BEES FOR POLLEN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

collect bees
remove wings, legs, head
hot glue it to a stick
the hairs of the abdomen will naturally collect pollen
you can now store this stick in a vial for storing pollen
when ready for breeding projects, dab the abdomen on the female stigmas

ENJOY! SPREAD THE LOVE
-----------------------------------
just tried this method and the bee kept getting away!!!...Organic, what kind of glue to use?

nobull56

ICMag Donor
BEES FOR POLLEN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

collect bees
remove wings, legs, head
hot glue it to a stick
the hairs of the abdomen will naturally collect pollen
you can now store this stick in a vial for storing pollen
when ready for breeding projects, dab the abdomen on the female stigmas

ENJOY! SPREAD THE LOVE
-----------------------------------
just tried this method and the bee kept getting away!!!...Organic, what kind of glue to use?

You should also file off the tip of their stinger!! I use a 'Bastard' file.

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
i got some perfume tester glass vials with caps that im going to use to store pollen in the very near future. it would be nice to have a freezer full of a few males.

johnny c

thank you my friend,i have always wondered the best way to collect it and store it
dam,i was just throwing it in camers film cases and freezing it
thanks again

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
I have some great white shark pollen stored in dated packs in the freezer right now. I've been using the silica packs from pill bottles as desiccant. when I get them I just put it in a warm place for a week, I put mine on top of my modem to dry it out. Them place it in the container with the pollen packs, then in the fridge, then in the freezer. Seems to work OK anyway.

scifiedro

is it really a good practice to use flour to cut pollen ? iv heard this now a few times but are sceptical. would the flour not bring about bud rot and compromise the integrity of ur flowers and therfor seed as well due to fungus that may come from th flower its self?
all feedback apriciated thank you.

takkada

ok...heres what i am doing w my pollen i collected tonight. please point out any obvious errors as i dont wanna screw it up...the goal is not long term storage...maybe a month...i collected from two donor plants..i used notebook paper to make a couple bindles...used very small strips of tape to seal edges...got all strips on one side of bindles...placed two bindles in a film container..the sides of bindle that were tape free are facing each other and a lil dessicant bag thingie is in between(no rice at the moment) this will be double bagged and put in fridge for couple days..then freezer...correct? any advice welcome....

someone said take the film container and dip the lid side in hot wax and make a seal.after individual packaging the content inside . might help last longer?:thank you::ying:

takkada

bog gear males

bog gear males

saving pollen . pollen bindle pack with silica pack and storage container for fridge , use hot wax on lid to seal for freezer.

takkada

putting males out for summer for some serious cross breeding .

putting males out for summer for some serious cross breeding .

i have strawberry desiel males , im putting outdoors with some females for cross breeding . should make lots of seeds.

avant gardener

Veteran
anyone taping bags over the whole branch like in the robert connell clarke book?
i'm wondering where those bags can be had or if you're making your own.
when i search pollen bags, bubble bags are all i get in the results.
demn.

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
What is the bag for? It seems like a whole lot of mold to me?

If for the male, just cut a flowering male branch and put it a glass of water, on a pyrex dish inside a clean closed cupboard.. It will drop pollen for a few days , 3 is normally enough, and then remove glass of water and fallen flowers from the dish and scrape up to collect with a razor blade.

If for the female, just pollinate with a fine paintbrush (might spray pollen), earbud or toothpick if not wanting to pollinate the rest of plant, carefully dusting individual hairs on your selected branch..

Latest posts

Latest posts