What's new

Colchicine....What's your opinion?

maharaji

:thank you:. Thanks Secondtry! well F13 seems to be a Flo selection so i guess it's OPT ( Highland oaxacan x choco thai ) x with an Afgani i beleive...i can't seem to find more precise info on F13 lineage ...Could Colchicine account for the difformities ( some "krinkled" leaves and weird "splashes" like bleach thrown on leaves...)and super vigor, yield and potency i've seen in F13 ?

Secondtry if you ever come across an OPT cut you'll be a very lucky man ;)

Cheers guys!

S

secondtry

Hey there maharaji,

Well, polyploidy could account for leaf crinkle, etc, but so does normal mutations of a diploid. That is why I wrote about Wally Duck foot, it has the same crinkle leaf and I too have seen cultivars with crinkle leafs (not of F13 or Wally Duck foot). What are you comparing the "super vigor, yield and potency" to?

I for one don't think it's a tetraploid, and I don't think the Wally Duck is either, but I could be wrong.

I hope someone may read this thread and offer to send me some cuts of OPT, I think I'm worth it! ;)

Cheers

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
+1 :)

And I really agree with this: "I really like the idea of tetraploidy, it really can expand the plant we know today".

I thought about selling the seeds I will make (it will take me about 1-2 years to make the final version) but I will for sure send tons of freebees out to you guys! I wouldn't mind making a bunch of money for all my effort and time and studying tho!

First I will cross a female Thai 4n by a (masculinezed [sic]) female Nepalese 4n. I will take that F1 and self it to the S3 to S5 (selfed generations). Then I will cross the female (Thai 4n x Nepalise 4n) with a (masculinezed [sic]) female Afghan 4n. I will take that F1 and self it to S3 to S5 (depending upon when I see stabilization of traits); I won't go past S5. Once I have the S3 to S5 all female (Thai 4n x Nepalese 4n) x Afghan 4n I will give the seeds away and maybe sell them considering my variety should be WAY better thna most all others in terms of cannabinoids and yield...and much more unique (colors, bud and leaf size, seed size and color, etc).

Anyone want to suggest a name for the variety to be???

4 way thai?

Sorry, horrible pun.

maharaji

:wave:
Secondtry i'd say that the F13 grew in soil like it was really happy in an hydroponic system ( the Purple Wreck next to her looked looked ridiculous...) , the yield with 3 Weeks veg' was above 200Gr. and the high i'd say it's like a really strong Thai High .

I found the article by DJ ,that's what he says :

"A Word About Mutagens

I am aware of concerns involving mutagens such as colchicine and their possible use on cannabis plants. Colchicine is a chemical that when applied to seeds or sprouts can cause extreme genetic mutations in future generations of the seeds that survive the treatment (often less that 1%). For the record let me state that I have never used colchicine, or any other mutagen, in my breeding work . All of my selections are from organically produced crops. I do have my suspicions, however, primarily concerning some of the Thai strains that I have used.

I am not certain, but I suspect that the Highland and Chocolate Thai may have been the results of a mutagenic regimen. The reasons I make the speculation is due to observations witnessed in the growing cycle of the Highland and Chocolate Thai and their progeny. Both were extremely “freakish” in some of their expressions, as were a number of subsequent generations. These freakish anomalies are similar to many of the abnormalities documented by mutagenic experiments published in journals such as High Times and Cannabis Culture. These abnormalities include asymmetric growth patterns, “albino” mutations that affect parts of the plant such as half of a leaf, various polyploid expressions and mild to extreme leaf mutations. I am very interested to learn about any first hand experience anyone may have had in this capacity. Having said that, one of the most important aspects to consider in regard to a breeding regimen is that of ratios."

Here's the address :
http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forums
/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=984853

Personnaly my only concern with possible Dj mutated genes would be a health issue , but If you don't think that's the case with F13 secondtry then i'm reassured as you seem to have done your homeworks twice ( i checked your LED link too, really nice:tiphat:)

Cheers!

On the right track for the wrong train ...

On the right track for the wrong train ...

When I make tetraploids I will treat seeds before the shell cracks, I plan to soak seeds in water for 10 hours, then soak in the mutagen/water for 14-20 hours (until seed splits) then I will put in media to sprout.

Didn't you mean "if & when" you make tetraploids?

That outcome is by no means certain, or predictable.

However, you're on the right track by pre-soaking the seeds.

Since the moisture content of seeds is variable, don't soak for any set time. Let them soak, and stir occasionally, until they sink or suspend in 3 or 4 inches of RO water. Then let them sit for 20 more more minutes, remove and soak in the mutagen treated water.

When it works, you'll see a bulbous root tip. The little sucker stands out like a sore thumb. Many will die, and most won't get much farther than the root tip stage. The sprouts first leaves are weird and slow growing. Most never get a 2nd set ... they just stay runts.

Using "educational grade" Colchicine helped, but only 1 in 50 grew out, and it really wasn't worth the trouble.

Good luck.

Last edited:

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran

However, you're on the right track by pre-soaking the seeds.

Since the moisture content of seeds is variable, don't soak for any set time. Let them soak, and stir occasionally, until they sink or suspend in 3 or 4 inches of RO water. Then let them sit for 20 more more minutes, remove and soak in the mutagen treated water.

When it works, you'll see a bulbous toot tip. The little sucker stands out like a sore thumb. Many will die, and most won't get much farther than the root tip stage. The sprouts first leaves are weird and slow growing. Most never get a 2nd set ... they just stay runts.

Using "educational grade" Colchicine helped, but only 1 in 50 grew out, and it really wasn't worth the trouble.

Good luck.

I think this proccess is gonna take time and some experimentation to get it down the right way But i think if anyone will be able to get it done, it would be 2ndTry. I'm sure if the the first methods dont work he'll keep trying and experimenting.

On another note, I picked up some bud last after speaking of Sativas. Super energetic high if you would like to incorporate that in to your mix i think it would prove useful. Its either a highland Jamaican or a colombian. PM me for details.

S

secondtry

BassA wrote:

Nope. I believe in positive thinking, so what i wrote is what I meant. And the outcome is predictable, polyploid cannabis is not hard at all to make, look at the thesis paper, HortraPharm BV, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks but what you write is about colchicine, which I am not using. what I will use has much higher success rates and survival rates than colchicine...

mad librettist

Veteran
Personnaly my only concern with possible Dj mutated genes would be a health issue , but If you don't think that's the case with F13 secondtry then i'm reassured as you seem to have done your homeworks twice ( i checked your LED link too, really nice:tiphat:)

Cheers!

I would urge you to consider more than just your immediate or personal health. Consider the health of the species, and maybe consult the same moral compass that makes me say "hold everything!" when it comes to frankenfood.

S

secondtry

On another note, I picked up some bud last after speaking of Sativas. Super energetic high if you would like to incorporate that in to your mix i think it would prove useful. Its either a highland Jamaican or a colombian. PM me for details.

I'll PM you shortly, but the Thai I plan to use is the the Seedsman "Mama Thai" (link), the Nepalese is the pure "charas" sativa from World of Seeds "Nepalese Highland" (link) and the Afghan is from Seedsman "Original Afghani #1" (link).

Thanks! I really can't wait to get started on this, but I need more room! :)

mad librettist

Veteran
I'll PM you shortly, but the Thai I plan to use is the the Seedsman "Mama Thai" (Link). the Nepalese is the pure "charas" sativa from World of Seeds "Nepalese Highland" (Link) and the Afghan is from Seedsman "Original Afghani #1" (Link).

Thanks! I really can't wait to get started on this, but I need more room! :)

I was thinking "another room dedicated to better living through chemistry".

Damn I love the ignore feature. I can rebut without being rebutted!

S

secondtry

Edit:

I was just reviewing what manifest destiny means and it's not what I thought it means. I am not religious at all. I thought manifest density meant we make our own destiny, in that we "manifest it", but I was wrong.

mad librettist

Veteran
Yeah man I told you to study history and the arts.

Thanks for illustrating the result of the demise of liberal education. It's not necessarily religious btw, just the sense that your actions are fulfilling the pre-ordained.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Quote secondtry: "I really can't wait to get started on this, but I need more room!"
This is the biggest issue I face in the game of breeding,wouldn't it be nice to have unlimited space to conduct all the breeding experiments you could think of. Some people do!

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Quote secondtry: "I really can't wait to get started on this, but I need more room!"
This is the biggest issue I face in the game of breeding,wouldn't it be nice to have unlimited space to conduct all the breeding experiments you could think of. Some people do!

I agree!

i'm just about to start breeding and i already need more room. small grows and breeding are rather difficult. Especially using only around 600-700w.

Secondtry- Those plant sound like they would make an excellent couple, or rather threesome!

Latest posts

Latest posts