Drink for real

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
This thread is a perfect example of the lack of critical thinking skills all too often seen around here.
Some idiot lawmaker from OK misunderstands something he read, then other people misunderstand what they read about it, then we get fools here saying that soda contains stem cells.

Jesus Christ! Some people should just stay away from the Internet, since they can't even follow the links that they provide. Read and try to comprehend that NPR one maybe, then come back and tell me soda contains human stem cells.

Apologies to the many other IC members that actually have brains and know how to use them.

Yet you provide absolutely nothing.

G

greenmatter

did someone think this stuff was good for you before they read this thread ???? who gives a shit what the label says

Fuzz420

Veteran
Thanks for proving my point- you can't even follow the links that YOU provided, which, if you could read and comprehend them, explain why your assertions are BS.

Your the one calling bs, so its up to you to point out and provide evidence to back up your claims.

Ill hold your hand from here on out.

At present, there are three possible sources of stem cells: adult stem cells derived from pediatric or adult donors; embryo germ cell stem cells (EG cells) derived from aborted fetuses; and embryonic stem cells (ES cells) derived from disaggregated preimplantation embryos. The first of these sources poses no special ethical problems for the majority of people. Adults and children can donate tissue so long as the appropriate conditions of consent are respected. Individuals who do not object to induced abortion will be less concerned about the use of EG cells than those opposed to

Source

Ok whats the issue again, semantics;or is it the fact solyent green is really people. And Yes im fully aware of them using "embryonic stem cells derived from disaggregated preimplantation embryos". The secret ingrediant is "soylent green" i mean people.

Senomyx, a California-based biotechnology company that specializes in developing food flavorings, is one such company that uses aborted embryonic cells to create "isolated human taste receptors," which are used in the production of food chemicals. And this company has partnered with several major food manufacturers, including Kraft, PepsiCo, and Nestle

No direct evidence that they are using aborted fetuses but they are from humans

While aborted fetal cells are not necessarily in the final products made by PepsiCo, Kraft, or Nestle, such cells appear to needlessly play a part in the production of artificial flavor chemicals used by these companies. And since there are viable alternatives to this questionable practice, Sen. Shortey, CGL, and many others are calling for its end.

yes viable alternatives such as:

CGL says the company could also use animal, insect, or other more acceptably-derived cells instead, and still procure the same results.

:artist:

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Your the one calling bs, so its up to you to point out and provide evidence to back up your claims.

Ill hold your hand from here on out

Dude, you are just embarrassing yourself at this point.

They are talking about using stem cells in the lab to research taste receptors, NOT AS AN INGREDIENT.

"Based in San Diego, Senomyx has been accused of using proteins derived from human embryonic kidney cells in its research, which has been used by many large food companies. An article in the Miami New Times summarizes those claims, notes the company's denial of them — and also notes that in 2003, the company filed a patent for "recombinant methods for expressing a functional sweet taste receptor."

That patent, for what is essentially an automated taste test, was granted in 2008. It mentions HEK 293, or Human Embryonic Kidney 293, a widely available cell line that was originally cultured in the early 1970s from a human embryo in the Netherlands."

If you can't see the difference, then you are hopeless. It is like some food ingredient was tested on lab animals, and you jump to the conclusion that the food has ground up mice in it.

serious6

fuzz420 - YOUR thread, YOUR call! understand this please; it states in the original document that the ingrediant in the carmarel coloring is the culpit, thus why not just remove the coloring. pepsi did it at one time and so has creme soda and it did not hurt sales a bit. in yesteryear when you saw the color through the GLASS container has now changed to CANS where-in the color is not seen and the plastic bottles could be tinted to hide the clear color of the product. making a mountain out of a mole is sheer stupidity. the big soda companies are making the change because of something else and using 1 individual independant study as the reason. i smell smokescreen!

it is about time that the food producers quit modifying all animal and chemical items and get back to basics. get the garbage out of meats, vegetables, sports/recreational drinks, and alcohol.

Fuzz420

Veteran
Dude, you are just embarrassing yourself at this point.

They are talking about using stem cells in the lab to research taste receptors, NOT AS AN INGREDIENT.

"Based in San Diego, Senomyx has been accused of using proteins derived from human embryonic kidney cells in its research, which has been used by many large food companies. An article in the Miami New Times summarizes those claims, notes the company's denial of them — and also notes that in 2003, the company filed a patent for "recombinant methods for expressing a functional sweet taste receptor."

That patent, for what is essentially an automated taste test, was granted in 2008. It mentions HEK 293, or Human Embryonic Kidney 293, a widely available cell line that was originally cultured in the early 1970s from a human embryo in the Netherlands."

If you can't see the difference, then you are hopeless. It is like some food ingredient was tested on lab animals, and you jump to the conclusion that the food has ground up mice in it.

Your what i call "willingful" ignorant, and your simply arguing semantics.

Keep hope alive.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Your what i call "willingful" ignorant, and your simply arguing semantics.

Keep hope alive.

Way to dig yourself in even deeper. Your (sic) what I call "just plain ignorant".
Arguing semantics would be like you saying they add ground up fetuses as an ingredient, but me saying no- they are only adding ground up stem cells.
Neither of those statements is remotely true, in case you need yet another reminder.

Soda may make you fat, rot your teeth and weaken your bones, but it doesn't have human-derived ingredients in it, nor is anyone planning for it to.
And now, to bring the thread back on topic, it also won't contain an ingredient that some worry is carcinogenic. Which you'd think would be a good thing...

E

elmanito

The federal Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has decided against a group of PepsiCo shareholders in their efforts to stop the company from contracting with a firm that uses cells from aborted babies in producing artificial flavor enhancers.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/family/11116-sec-rules-for-pepsicos-use-of-aborted-fetal-cells

Uhmm, human cells in food flavours sounds to me the story about bone meal of sick animals in cattle feed which caused the BSE epidemic in the 80s.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

My buddy drinks about a 12 pack of Pepsi each day, I told him he was going to get kidney stones and never heeded my warning, back hurting so bad he can barely sit without hurting. Fuck soda drink water.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/family/11116-sec-rules-for-pepsicos-use-of-aborted-fetal-cells

Uhmm, human cells in food flavours sounds to me the story about bone meal of sick animals in cattle feed which caused the BSE epidemic in the 80s.

Ummm, does it need to be said yet again?!

They are talking about using the cells IN THE LAB TO DESIGN THE CHEMICALS. THEY ARE NOT ADDING THEM TO ANY FOOD PRODUCTS IN ANY WAY.

IM SHOUTING CAUSE SOME PEOPLE DON'T SEEM TO GET IT....

I'm not into artificial flavors myself, but find this whole process fascinating.

E

elmanito

Ummm, does it need to be said yet again?!

They are talking about using the cells IN THE LAB TO DESIGN THE CHEMICALS. THEY ARE NOT ADDING THEM TO ANY FOOD PRODUCTS IN ANY WAY.

IM SHOUTING CAUSE SOME PEOPLE DON'T SEEM TO GET IT....

I'm not into artificial flavors myself, but find this whole process fascinating.

I can read although it is not my mother language, but using human cells to design the chemicals which is used in artificial flavors is the same as to extract L-Cysteine from human hair to improve the bread from the supermarket.Indirect the industry makes us a sort of cannibals.Bon Appétit wheather it is fascinating or not !!

mrcreosote

Veteran
zymos,

You do realize that you're taking the fun out of fetuses, don't you?

How do you make a fetus float?

A scoop of vanilla and root beer.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
I can read although it is not my mother language, but using human cells to design the chemicals which is used in artificial flavors is the same as to extract L-Cysteine from human hair to improve the bread from the supermarket.Indirect the industry makes us a sort of cannibals.Bon Appétit wheather it is fascinating or not !!

Whether or not that is true about the human hair, THIS IS NOT THE SAME! It is a research tool. Not one single molecule of fetal tissue is being used as a food ingredient. See my lab rat analogy above. No, I am not promoting animal testing either.

This lack of critical thinking skills I see on this site, and much of the rest of the world is really depressing! But more fetus jokes might cheer me up- thanks Mr. C!

LayedBack

I usually drink 1 can of RC Cola a day, every now and then a dr pepper. To be quite honest, I don't really give a flying fuck or two soaring shits if it's bad for me. I'll die young, knowing that I enjoyed whatever the hell I wanted to in the time given to me. :moon:

Oh and I will most certainly die young, the way I feel right now I'll be surprised to make it to 40, luckily that's still a ways off. But I doubt the sodas alone is what will bring me down, I've more pressing concerns.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I usually drink 1 can of RC Cola a day, every now and then a dr pepper. To be quite honest, I don't really give a flying fuck or two soaring shits if it's bad for me. I'll die young, knowing that I enjoyed whatever the hell I wanted to in the time given to me. :moon:

Oh and I will most certainly die young, the way I feel right now I'll be surprised to make it to 40, luckily that's still a ways off. But I doubt the sodas alone is what will bring me down, I've more pressing concerns.

if you are willing to trade years of your life the the taste of an RC cola (the sugar sit he really dangerous component btw) then it speaks volumes VOLUMES about the quality of life you choose to live

and im not saying it to rub it in your face, i felt the same way for a good part of my life and for good reasons

however as I grew older and learned to understand the world a bit better and find my groove the quality of my life improved and looking back I wish i had not been my own worst enemy for all those years

funny how the perception of a shitty world makes people undermine their own health, their own being.

its as if your saying to that cruel world around that it is justified in its treatment of you.

there is more to life if you are willing to search

LayedBack

if you are willing to trade years of your life the the taste of an RC cola (the sugar sit he really dangerous component btw) then it speaks volumes VOLUMES about the quality of life you choose to live

and im not saying it to rub it in your face, i felt the same way for a good part of my life and for good reasons

however as I grew older and learned to understand the world a bit better and find my groove the quality of my life improved and looking back I wish i had not been my own worst enemy for all those years

funny how the perception of a shitty world makes people undermine their own health, their own being.

its as if your saying to that cruel world around that it is justified in its treatment of you.

there is more to life if you are willing to search

I understand what you're saying completely buddy, because I used to be very health oriented loved to exercise, eat healthy and live that type of life and it felt great, that lifestyle didn't take me very far in life. My situation is a little different than most because since 19yo I've had wide spread chronic pain just about every second of every day. I'm going to be in complete misery at the end of my days no matter what, so I don't honestly WANT to live a very long life.

I'm actually fairly at peace with my fate, completely resigned to growing/smoking weed, drinking my colas, eating unhealthy food, and taking my opiate pain medication all in the name of momentary peace, until an early death do me part. :tiphat:

(to some people, these comforts are all they really seek or need in this world, it's the same as cigarette smokers who are completely okay with the consequences, because they enjoy it so much)