What's new

Coconut Oil .....How hot is too hot ? ? ? ?

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
fool proof method
take a big pot and a small pot
and THE pot...and the oil of course
take the big pot and put water in it so that the small pot will float 1inch minimum from the bottom of the big pot...bring water to a boil and keep it so and put the oil and THE pot in the Small pot and let it stay long enough for the thc to go into the oil...the boiling water will not exceed the 100°C and the temperature will be constant thanks to the buffering effect of the water
however how i do it is by following this video's instructions using olive oil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs66uyiH968

xcrispi

I used to make capsules along w/ a cpl . others at another site - G/B Weddhound :thank you:,
We used a stoneware cup inside a crock pot that is not just lo-med-hi . has to be acurate temps = one with a dial 100-200-300-400 . Plus we also used a candy thermometer to check the actual contents in the cup , dont ever believe the knob / digi poop . 300-325 in the cup - stirring once every 20-30 min for 3-4 hrs . I found 1 gram of weed for every 3-4 grams of coconut oil works best .
We never strained the oil but i supose you could , we just put it all in the capsules . 2-3 of em and you'll be Fukin Silly High . Like a NOOB again . No lie .
Crispi :hotbounce

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
I used to make capsules along w/ a cpl . others at another site - G/B Weddhound :thank you:,
We used a stoneware cup inside a crock pot that is not just lo-med-hi . has to be acurate temps = one with a dial 100-200-300-400 . Plus we also used a candy thermometer to check the actual contents in the cup , dont ever believe the knob / digi poop . 300-325 in the cup - stirring once every 20-30 min for 3-4 hrs . I found 1 gram of weed for every 3-4 grams of coconut oil works best .
We never strained the oil but i supose you could , we just put it all in the capsules . 2-3 of em and you'll be Fukin Silly High . Like a NOOB again . No lie .
Crispi :hotbounce

Good info... I'm curious as to how highly you can concentrate it, and if it varies by oil type.

L

LolaGal

so that is how Weedhound made Canna Caps? You should put that recipe up for us in her memory Crispi!

Thanks! I always wondered what ya'll were doing to make em.

StickyScissors

if temps of 325-355 are need to bond THC to fat, how does that happen if you are cooking the bud in coconut oil/water (in crock pot or on the stove) while keeping the water/oil combo at just below boiling at 212?

exactly what i have been wondering............

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies.............

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Ok -I too have a bottle of coconut oil and a bottle of Olive oil - and a sack of weed - and a few grams of hash.
mmmmmm maybe a gram of bubble in a few oz of oil......

Now about the heat thing,,, water boils at 212 UNLESS it's under pressure - like a pressure cooker - I'll look in a bit to see if I can get an accurate temp - - just a thought

M

medi-useA-Redux

I have a new fan forced electric oven..so the temps for me are accurate.

I chop my buds finely and put them in a square cake tin in the oven for 5 mins@ 160*C or 20 mins@ 140*C...Have a towel nearby...towards the end of the process you can really smell the terpines...
DON'T PANIC!
picture.php

...this is normal....follow the times and temps and all will be fine.
Remove your bud @ the appropriate time...empty it into a clean bowl or some cool surface....you're removing the material from it's hot pan so it doesn't continue heating.

You now have decarboxilated cannabis...:)...if you want to add it to coco nut oil th@ has been heated to a liquid state and then let it re-solidify and sit to infuse like a sunshine tincture you can...or you could heat the oil until it achieves liquid state and hold it there for an evening....you have the option of straining it out or leaving the plant matter in...personal preferences here;)...if you DO strain the matter out, a good use for it is to mix it with some fresh coco nut oil again and sit, like a sunshine tinc...with the leftover matter from two or three infusions...should be quite strong by the third or fourth addition.

muA

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Or altitude -- boiling temp goes down as you go up. Just nitpicking, with your username and all... :)

Give that man a bong hit!!!! lol

According to my research, a 15 PSI pressure cooker holds about 250 F. (At sea level) I was hoping closer to 300 But we will file this for later reference. This offers a precise temperature and even heating. However, long term cooking (over a couple hours) will be a PIA

I'm thinking 1 gram of hash into 4 oz (liquid measure) of coconut oil.

maybe start with a gram into 2 lq oz. heat in oven to 310-320 - hold for 20-ish min.

How about 1/2 gram into 2 oz of virgin olive oil and 1/2 gram into 2 oz of coconut oil. Heat to 320 for 25 minutes and let cool. If potency is down - I have more hash.

Suppose you want pictures too?

I seem to have a decent supply of Hy-grade hash for awhile and my 2 complaints about edibles are the taste of the bud is overpowering and the effect is weak at best.

later edit-

no outside input yet,,, well,,,, lets try the above.
Face it, it's not a bad hobby when ya gotta be the the test pilot too.

OK - I'm preheating the oven to 325 -
using baby food jars, I have about 2-1/2 oz of oil and a weighed 1/2 gr of hash in each.
Preheated oven for 1 hr.

The coconut oil is "gelatinous" at about 70F - it is also nearly odorless.
The Virgin Olive oil smells - like olive oil.

I broke the hash into small bits to increase surface area and make it easier to get to consistent temp/

- I try and pass all info I can so that others may duplicate or change as needed.

I have an infrared therm. - I'll try to document temps for reference -

As noted before, I'm over a mile high - water boils at about 200F here

I'll be back - hopefully well lubricated. LOL

Disappointing results.

1/2 teaspoon coconut oil, 45 min later another 1/2 teaspoon.. Nada.

next try nearly 3 teaspoons of the olive oil mixed with a really good balsamic vinegar on a salad. Minor effect but the best taste yet.

I have 2 grams of hash left, I am going to de-carbolize both grams and mix one in each bottle of oil and reheat. (I didn't de-carb last run.)

EDIT- Houston - we have ignition. now a tablespoon of the Olive Oil is prolly a bit much, NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts