What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

COCO YEILD container size vs watering frequency

LostTribe

Premium user
In coco (pot culture),,I usaly create a big root ball in party cups first,,I let them over colonise the cups and only when it's drinking like mad and busting out of the cup do I transplant,,,After cups I do the same 4.5L pot,,,this sets the air to water ratio perfectly because the root fibers and mass stop you being able to over water ,,going into flower il transplant to bigger pots,,but at this point you can't over water or find the medium over compacted,,,once you colonise a container properly its impossible to over water,,,its important to set air to water ratios with root fibers imo
I have been trying to do the same thing but put some clones I got in without the solo cups. I checked today and most everything is filled with roots. They are in fabric pots. I have a small tent with .5 gal plastic containers which are already root bound and will have to be flowered as is as I am out room. I mix a bit of mycos in when transplanting too and they really explode. The roots are quick to take over when you let them get fully rooted in the solo cups first.

Tomatoesonly

I have loads of 15L pots, I might give them a try, cheers for the info (y)

I appreciate the input but I think I will give them a go. I have them now and many people seem to swear by them so it must be possible to get them to work, maybe... I'll try a small res first so I don't flood the room :) (y)
Are you going to have a grow journal about your grow with blumats? I did a test with two, two gallon pots of coco. Each with a carrot and 3 drippers. They seem to be doing great, I haven't seen anything exit the bottom. I even switched two more over.

Mudraya

:hide:

I dare you to grow an Oldtimer's Haze indoors in a 10 gallon pot with no training or pruning allowed.

:laughing:
i’m actually considering a 10 gal, 1 plant per light with a much tamer hybrid and hand watering. hoping for watering twice a week. wondering if a huge root space can compete with a small, very well irrigated rootspace. anyone care to chime in on that? i’m a little scared 🤣

ive been doing manifolds dtw for more years than i care to say and need to do something different. all this talk of rootbound 1-2 gallon pots fed 6x/day is giving me flashbacks lol. i mean i even had it so dialed i was watering every 30 minutes with a seconds timer into hydroton at one point DTW (yeah, hydroton dtw!!!) and getting perfect 10% runoff.

troutman

Seed Whore
i’m actually considering a 10 gal, 1 plant per light with a much tamer hybrid and hand watering.

Here's an Oldtimer Haze in a 1 gallon pot on 12/12 from day 1.

oldworld

I just got very nearly 8 Oz from 1 plant in a 2 gallon pot of coco, handwatered once a day. It was getting up to 3 liters a day at peak. It worked but it wasn't a happy plant. Got to setup a watering line.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
5 gallon getting fed 3 times per day (and once at night)

098A008F-1922-43C9-8E15-B2031E3E3DD5.jpeg