What's new

Coco Watering: wet, dry, wet or wet wet wet

The problem is the fertigation strength is tied to fertigation frequency, making definitive answers impossible.

If you fertigate without letting the medium dry, I have noticed I can actually run a slightly higher EC. When incorporating a dry period the substrate's EC can concentrate (though the plants water usage & environmental evaporation). You must account for the possible concentration (generally with a slightly lower EC). (All of this done with recirculating reservoirs.)

This doesnt mean the plant uses a higher EC when watered more frequently, its just the result of a concentrating EC.

-

^knows whats up

D

Danny-boy777

Rule of thumb is COCO retains moisture for long but its also almost next to impossible to over water (from My experience)

So i use me finger into the media and I feel if the area where the roots would most probably be,if wet I leave ,if dry I water.

Dank

Aweh. I say WET WET WET (FLUSH) WET :) keeps you clean and aware of whats cracking..

For the Laymen out there.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
i think when i actually get around to poppin seeds, ill do it directly in coco! Dam i need to get some seeds!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=24420

2. on the next day not much is happening, but you see that the root is not going anywhere up Yes, the force of Earth gravitation is at work and will always be.

3. Another day gone, everything as planned.

4. On a next day a notable occurence, since the tap root has travelled down well and established a good hold in soil, it now starts to push up, creating a little bend, that bend is very handy, it will push up through the soil, dragging behind it and thus protecting the delicate colytedons.

5. here we go, on a fifth day, tadaa, plant emerges. It's worth noting that because I buried the seed quite deep, the seed covers are left inside soil. If seed is buried shallow, it will still be having the covers on, when emerging.

6 days from seed to seedling, that's my usual score, without fancy soil mixes and much special care. Once again - tip down, tip up, sideways, doesn't matter, a seed is a seed.

rgds, kov

I do this, and i hypothesize that giving the seedlings time to establish roots before it breaks the surface makes the seedlings hardier.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
I lift my pots(in flower) to see when it is time for their next water. Plant size, and container size will have a huge impact on the amount of watering you need to do.

In veg, and for all transplants..you should let the coco dry out almost completely...and then slowly start releasing small amounts of nuts in to the coco. Once the clone...or seedling has caught on...than you can use and abuse them...but not until that time...because you will have a cutting or seedling that will simply stall.

D

Danny-boy777

Shroomdr,

Dude you are awesome what an enlightening study,

I love all you weed scientest ;-)

Thanks that deepens my understanding of the germination process in substrate.

G

Guywithoutajeep

honestly ive found my growth rates to be better in all cases when the medium is not dry, but not wet

hand watering just doesn't cut it for what i want, it was always too wet or too dry and never just right

blumats are my new favorite toy right now

by letting coco dry out a little i found better growth with each plant every time. the water water water coco mentality stunted my plants even when they were root bound, coco stays wet for ever, occasionally its a good idea to water till run off to wash away salts, but i found that even with a 3 week water flush my plants were still nice n green, most over feed n over water, coco is easier then people make it so long as your ph is correct.

Latest posts

Latest posts