What's new

Coco vs Rockwool Grow

Badjaka22

guys, soon I gonna start growing in multi flow, was wondering if this net pot lids are saving medium.
I mean, for 6 buckets I have to use 50L of hydroton, if I use net pots in this buckets, am i going to need less hydroton?

medicalmj

Veteran
guys, soon I gonna start growing in multi flow, was wondering if this net pot lids are saving medium.
I mean, for 6 buckets I have to use 50L of hydroton, if I use net pots in this buckets, am i going to need less hydroton?
You'll def get exposure to the question, but I've dabbled in that sytem and what you most consider is that you need to be sure the roots don't go to long without the flood cycle. Consider as many cycles as possible as close as possible while ensuring solution reaches desired bucket level. Let it fill then drain, then fill...This will suck oxygen into rootzone when it drains and near constant nute exposure.
Another concern is pump failure. I installed an additional pump inside the controller just in case as the some of those pumps are cheap. And you must keep an eye on float switches too. It can be a little tricky but if you can get it dialed it's about as good as it gets for a mammoth root zone.

merkaba

I have fully been running coco for the last year, love it. Still not totally dialed in, need to sort out how to get my veg roots to pop off, but very forgiving, great yields,etc.

medicalmj

Veteran
I have fully been running coco for the last year, love it. Still not totally dialed in, need to sort out how to get my veg roots to pop off, but very forgiving, great yields,etc.
Yeah I know what you mean. I have tried many things, including rapid start, roots excelurator, roots organism, mycorrhizal inoculant and vermicompost. What I have come to think is that the expensive stuff just ain't worth it. I found a local source of organic and cheap vermicompost (compost digested by special worms) that is incredible. I also prep the coco with mycorrhizal inoculant, making sure that the roots when transplanting are in direct contact with it.

So I mix the vermicompost into my coco, and when I transplant I put the mycorrhizal inoculant right where the root ball will set, that is I don't mix it into the soil since the spores need to attach to the roots to grow. I then put a 1/4 cup of vermicompost on the top of soil and repeat every 10-14 days.

I am not an organic grower when it comes to fertilizer, I use GH flora three part with GH's cal-mag, and flora+, and kool bloom in flower at an EC level of 0.8-1.2 (net) EC or 1.2-1.6 (gross) EC.

The mix of biological additives with mineral nutes seems to be very productive and cost effective for me.

F

Fields~of~Green

Rockwool weed sucks

Bold statement

I've grown the same plants in wool and coir and the wool was better in terms of potency and yield but with more work I could improve on the flavour too which for me was lacking over the coir buds

I grow in coir because it's more forgiving but I will be giving the wool again soon

merkaba

I have been loving the coco, but am actually thinking of trying to get the rock wool dialed in. I am still not getting the crazy developed roots that are ideal for a drip system in my 1 gallon coco pots.

I think mini rockwool cubes(or croutons) in 2-3gal smartparts(topfed w/drippers dtw) is the ticket.
More air exchange with the smartpots. Plus its more versatile. You can mix in some hydroton or perlite if you want more air, line the bottom with hydroton for better drainage, move em around/rotate them, etc.
That's the direction I'd go.
I'd like to use STG hail cubes but they're too pricey.

How would you veg for croutons? Do say a 3x3 block then put that in croutons?

Yep, if you're into blocks.
I think vegging' in clone machines/bubblers is where it's at personally.
Bump up the veg nutes in em to 400-600ppms, Leave em in the clone machine longer, (essentially vegging in the clone machine) and you have a mature root system from the start.
Easy to transplant into soil, coco, rockwool croutons, hydroton, whatever. Pretty much any medium/style except rockwool cubes/blocks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts