What's new

coco vs hydroton

D

darkhorse

who here is getting bigger yields from coco than hydroton?
i just cant imagine going back to a full coco grow it was too
much of add this brew that put these sticky traps up spray this
dunk your pots in this, and when you start seeing them little gnats
on your computer screen you know its time to give it up.

im not saying people dont get bigger yields in coco i would just
like to know who is here?

Herborizer

Veteran
who here is getting bigger yields from coco than hydroton?
i just cant imagine going back to a full coco grow it was too
much of add this brew that put these sticky traps up spray this
dunk your pots in this, and when you start seeing them little gnats
on your computer screen you know its time to give it up.

im not saying people dont get bigger yields in coco i would just
like to know who is here?

For me, everything is better in coco so far. I got gnats in Rockwool, don't think you won't get them there.

Coco (for me) couldn't be simpler. Pure Canna coco in smart pots. Install drippers. Put 1/4 tsp of ground up Miskito dunks under the dripper. I hang one sticky trap up for good measure.

Thats it!

P.S. I started using Spinosad, an organic pesticide, a few weeks ago. Cool stuff. Moving forward I will spray with Spinosad once after the clones establish, and then one more time when flipping to flower. Just for preventative maintenance. Research shows that Spinosad not only works to treat bugs, but also prevent gnats, whiteflys, mites, thrips, and more. The plants don't mind it at all, zero issues after spray. Check it out.

HUGE

Veteran
I run ebb and flo buckets of hydroton. Nxt gro I will be adding 1 bucket with readygro it's coco/perlite blend from botanicare says 4-6 watterungs daily. I will be flooding every 4 hours lights on from the same res. If it goes well I'll switch 3 to the readygro and do a legit 3 vs 3 showdown and see what wins. After that if the coco wins I plan to do a coco drip vs coco ebb &flo. Showdown.

exer

I like to work with hydroton veary much,is simple and yields are impressive.
Only thing i dont like is clean and desinfected it betveen rounds.So every time i put new clones in to hydroton from previeus round i got a root rot.

I will try now with coco and at the end i will just throw it away,and buy new for next round.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
hydroton might have a slightly higher max yield potential under ideal conditions, but the coco will beat it every time when 1 detail or another is less then perfect. also the flavor of coco bud is much more interesting they hydroton grown bud. further more the coco is very biodegradable. being alive it's the best of both worlds, hydro and earth with non of the disadvantages.

these were done with plain coco, on day 43 of 12/12. watered every day by hand 6 days a week. not even using a drip system and this stuff works perfectly. even the gnats are dead easy to keep under control by many ways.

Attachments

• sdxcj-day43of1212a.jpg
    sdxcj-day43of1212a.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 16
  • sdxcj-day43of1212d.jpg
    sdxcj-day43of1212d.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 15
  • sdxcj-day43of1212e.jpg
    sdxcj-day43of1212e.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 17
  • sdxcj-day43of1212f.jpg
    sdxcj-day43of1212f.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 17
  • sdxcj-day43of1212i.jpg
    sdxcj-day43of1212i.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 15

igro3s

b 'cauzz coco is what i have been using for the last year with gh. micro and bloom as the base with some other adds. i have had some awesome results. i would say that coco is more forgiving. stop by my profile and check out my pics. coco is my shit! i like to help if i can.

mk6

some things not mentioned
1. you need to rince, i.e. flush new coco before you use it...
2. if you use blumats your rez needs to be above the your tray, its a gravity thing no pump.
3. all mediums can get pest an some coco even come with-m / not a bonus...
4. you can n do re-use your coco, so no worries about trash or suspect trash.
5. if you add perlite you will increase your overall product, so Iv'e found. 70%coco 30% perlite
6. Nutes... you need to add cal, mag. as coco has none. n there are spicific nutes for coco.
btw: yes' you may be able to put a pump with blumat's but whats the point... if your gona pump it, then why not just stick the res under and pump thru drippers lol.

Im sure there are more pros, and cons, but hey' why try it out, n let us know how you do... read up in the coco forum, n the blumat thread, n Im sure you'll make the right dission.

Herborizer

Veteran
Some coco doesn't need flushing before use, like Canna.
I add no calmag, just RO and well water mixed. Perfect.

dunkydunk

I've grown in Coco for three years and have never used calmag.

Flushing is overrated if you buy coco intended for growing, like Canna, Botanicare, B'Cuzz, etc. If you buy coco that was intended to line a reptile cage, but is being promoted as a 'soil amendment', then you're on your own.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yep i don't even own cal mag, never have. just canna coco a+b, rhizotonic, boost and pk13/14 and zym product. with good quality coco you dont have to flush before use, its enough to just wet it thoroughly when you water for the first time with ph'ed water.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
some things not mentioned
1. you need to rince, i.e. flush new coco before you use it...
2. if you use blumats your rez needs to be above the your tray, its a gravity thing no pump.
3. all mediums can get pest an some coco even come with-m / not a bonus...
4. you can n do re-use your coco, so no worries about trash or suspect trash.
5. if you add perlite you will increase your overall product, so Iv'e found. 70%coco 30% perlite
6. Nutes... you need to add cal, mag. as coco has none. n there are spicific nutes for coco.
btw: yes' you may be able to put a pump with blumat's but whats the point... if your gona pump it, then why not just stick the res under and pump thru drippers lol.

Im sure there are more pros, and cons, but hey' why try it out, n let us know how you do... read up in the coco forum, n the blumat thread, n Im sure you'll make the right dission.

good post... but as a few people said

-no need for flushing if you buy good (expensive) bagged coco: canna, Bcuzz, etc..

-no need for cal-mag if you are using coco-specific nutrients

also, ive never reused my coco indoors, but have heard of people doing it. do you use all the same coco or use some old and some new? im assuming you remove all the old roots and stuff..

northstate

ICMag Donor
My friend has good results with re-using his ($$) coco indoors by giving it a good flush after chop, pulling out the root ball but not getting too crazy and pouring it onto a tarp to cut it with 1:3 new coco and waters it with .6 EC bloom. done. He has consistent tables that look great and get hand watered. Hope that helps_____NS