What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco problems

EvilJonas

Little too early to say but I think the ph flush did the trick and also removing from autopot tray and starting hand feeding.

Also started to mist light nutrient ph adjusted water under leaves.

Pragma

Yeah just keep giving them that and they should eventually bounce back.
If you have root tonics and enzymes to give that should help a lot as well.

Cheers

EvilJonas

I got whole canna coco line-up.

I cant think of anything else now that I could do so this is it, thumps up for recovery.

George

Hey evil, I was starting to get some funky growth myself. My Hanna meter was off .2 points, really not all that much but I recalibrated and then did a slurry test. Slurry ph was just like yours, 6.8 range. Checked my nutes after 1 day. I set the ph to 5.9 the day before, after 1 day they rise almost a full point coincidently right to what my slurry ph is....hmmmm lol

It's the canna mutes IMO as I'm using them too and we seem to be having the same issue. I think we're putting in the nutes at the right Ph but it rises in the pots over the hours and eventually starts to lock out. You don't expect it cause you know you're putting in the right ph so it can't be that right? Lol. It's definitely not the coco either because I get the ph rise in my spare reservoir that is used only to hang onto nute mix until I need it. I am going to start to mix my nutes ph them, let it stabilize then ph again before feeding. I think this should do it.

Pragma

Probably dissolved gases in your water that are evaporating and changing the pH.
You will get this pH increase with any brand not just the canna.

Also, as George stated, always check your meters' calibration whenever anything wierd happens.
Might just be that your meters are off. (Tho in your case there was obviously something wrong with the setup & feed )

marrdogg

Veteran
Haven't really read the entire post but I did hear you mention something about soft water, tell me you dont have a water softener? If so that's your problem, soft water which is full of sodium. Excuse if I got it wrong haven't read everything. PEACE!

George

Probably dissolved gases in your water that are evaporating and changing the pH.
You will get this pH increase with any brand not just the canna.

Also, as George stated, always check your meters' calibration whenever anything wierd happens.
Might just be that your meters are off. (Tho in your case there was obviously something wrong with the setup & feed )

i believe it. plus my water is absolute trash. after correcting my meter, im showing 8ph @ ~750ppm out the tap....yea, right in line with the water quality report right? lol :moon:

Pragma

i believe it. plus my water is absolute trash. after correcting my meter, im showing 8ph @ ~750ppm out the tap....yea, right in line with the water quality report right? lol :moon:

Yup back when I lived in the Netherlands the water I got was just like that. High ppm and high pH, up to like 8.5. Drinkable water my ass :moon:

RO is the solution to most (probably all) water problems.
As for the dissolved gases bubbling your water overnight would probably help.

Last edited:

EvilJonas

I havent had one successfull growth after I moved at my current place over a YEAR ago, 3 fucked up growth tries and hundreds of wasted euros.. If this shit doesnt recover close to quitting altogether.

I havent done anything now since my flush and feed since there isnt anything I could do. Calibrated meters 2 times now in a row and theyre setup good.

All I can do is feed 1.0-1.5EC water with 5.8ph.
Fucking coco never shouldve even tried it caused nothing but mysery.

I have 5 nirvana skunk seeds and 5 pot bubbler I build yesterday, gonna get supplies and start them and see if these current ones dont recover I terminate them and replace them with the bubbler in my homebox.

Pragma

Not sure why you are having problems..
Coco is one of the easiest substrates to grow in really :p

Just hand water em and feed 0.8-1 ec when young, 1.2-1.6ec when older. pH always 5.8-5.9.
You really shouldnt be having any problems with handwatering them.
Coco is not a good hydro substance so don't use it with any automated systems that are more geared towards hydro.

I would cut the cannazyme and rhizotonic for now just to limit the variables (plants will of course be fine without them). Then, as others have suggested, up the ec concentration to 1.0 -1.2. Assuming environmental variables in good range. See how they look in a couple weeks. If all ok then add one of the additives, wait a week or two, add the other, watching for changes all the while. I think this would be a safe/conservative course of action. Be patient :D

Pragma

Rhizotonic would actually help him a lot considering his root system aint exactly in perfect health. I wouldn't recommend he stop giving it, alteast in small amounts (0.5ml/L).

Cannazym.. yeah.. doesnt hurt but doesnt help either.

120Octane

The coco did you rinse before use? Its loaded full of salt from growing feet from the ocean its entire life. I know they all say our coir is rinsed but is it done corre tly. You need to mix cal mag and water flush those containers, flood them 4 times. The 5th watering add .2 base nute to your water ec ontop of what your water is to start with, keep ph 5.8 ish. If 2 days go by there still pissy repeat.

When buy coir especially brick coir its gotta be rinsed by letting it soak in water for couple hours, drain repeat 4 times. Then mix full strength cal/mag .2 ec base nute mix with ph 5.8 soak the coir in it over nite.

Clay balls will increase the yeild. They need rinsed and the need soaked in 5.8 ph water once there clean over nite

webguy

I had this issue with coco too coming from soil. Getting the ph right is a must. I agree its a root issue or more a root zone issue. To much media not enough roots for container size. Downpot to a pot just bigger than whatever the size of your rootball is so they fill the pot out fast, and use new coco without the clay balls, just like 20% perlite. Water like oti$ said but if theres not alot of thick roots 700ppm sounds like to much. If you go to transplant down the road when theyre healthy again use a pot only a little bigger. Adding stuff to the coco can mess with ph so for now stay away from organics.

EvilJonas

Still progressing theyre not getting better.

I think its time to call the game. Nothing helps theyre still yellowing whole plant.

Havent give anything else than basic nutrients and a few small doses of rhizotonic and zym.

I dont even want to sell these my coco equipment will throw them in thrash and go with real proper systems.

Pragma

lol...

At your level I think it is better to abandon "systems" all together and just hand water.
Once you can grow the simple way move on to the hydro systems that are a general pain in the ass.

EvilJonas

I've always used hydro and soil before this is my 2nd try on coco that is failing.

I've had multiple successful harvests with previous system. Coco just isn't for me it seems but I'm leaning towards my water that there's something funny in it, yesterday called a buddy who knew a couple who also grew in this apartment and he recalled something being wrong with the water also. But the roots are gone and I don't have supplies to fix it and the guy I called is coming to get few of them for hes place and to see if he can do something about it.

Got now 5 skunks coming just planted the seeds yesterday.
I got a bubbler for'em that I build and spare grow space and light for vegging.