What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco/Perlite mix OR Straight Coco?

been using Coco for about 1 1/2 years now. I line the bottom of my containers with Hydroton(about 1" - 1 1/2"). Just wondering if doing a coco/perlite mix would have a good result, in a recirculating top drip system.

The reason I ask is. I feed about every 2 days in late veg/early flower, and towards mid flower, the plant starts drying out quicker, so the feed are daily then.

So I figured if I used perlite, there would be better root expansion. More air for the root system, plus my coco wouldn't stay wet, as long.

Does anyone use Coco/perlite in their hydro systems. If so throw me some info please. Mixing info, etc.

Thanks everyone.

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
i do the same thing. line the bottom of the container w/ hydroton. i mix a little perlite into my coco as well. either way perlite/no perlite the coco is gonna treat you well

Rainmaker

Forget the perlite....forget the hydroton...strait coco is the answer. Done em' both and they're not needed. The coco will drain just fine w/o the hydroton layer. Just go with a high quality, rinsed coco substrate.

C

chefro420

Forget the perlite....forget the hydroton...strait coco is the answer. Done em' both and they're not needed. The coco will drain just fine w/o the hydroton layer. Just go with a high quality, rinsed coco substrate.

Yeah , so far my straight coco's are looking great!!

bobblehead

Veteran
lol, so far my coco/perlite looks great... If watering is automated and you won't have to do it every day, use the perlite. If you want the coco to hold more water, use straight coco... Personally I've been cutting my coco with perlite 50/50 for a few years. Perlite is cheap, and makes the coco stretch further. There was a test that actually showed coco/perlite holding more water than 100% coco, because the coco had more room to expand... however I don't think they were running 50% perlite...

BillFarthing

Veteran
Coco has a high cation exchange meaning that it releases nutrients when the plant needs it. Perlite doesn't allow it to do this to its full potential.

Also, the cation exchange of coco allows you to roll with a lower EC, which perlite also interferes with, costing money on nutrients in the long run.

Straight coco all the way baby!

ideally with coco you should find some way to deal with the wet mush that tends to form in the very middle of the container were there least amount of roots do there thing, there is new pots out that are bascially much like a upside down cup placed at the bottom of the pot with holes on all sides which alows much more air to this much needed place. if u can make something like this i would or just buy theese pots, adding more perlite by itself i dont think is gonna do so much that u will really notice. perlite doesnt do much for the downward piston action that actually draws in more air as much as people think it does, coarse builders sand will as it holds no water or air, perlite holds both. keep it straight.

bobblehead

Veteran
ideally with coco you should find some way to deal with the wet mush that tends to form in the very middle of the container were there least amount of roots do there thing, there is new pots out that are bascially much like a upside down cup placed at the bottom of the pot with holes on all sides which alows much more air to this much needed place. if u can make something like this i would or just buy theese pots, adding more perlite by itself i dont think is gonna do so much that u will really notice. perlite doesnt do much for the downward piston action that actually draws in more air as much as people think it does, coarse builders sand will as it holds no water or air, perlite holds both. keep it straight.

course builders sand will turn your coco into cement. Not a good idea. Roots can grow through perlite, because it's porous. Sand will suffocate your roots. ;) Coarse perlite is a great addition to coco.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Someone here did a side by side of coco vs coco/perlite, and got 12% more yield with the added perlite. I use Botanicare's ReadyGro coco/perlite mix, easy and works great.

Seems like it's pretty 50/50. I think I might have to eventually do a side by side. Please keep ur opinions/experiences coming.

i wasnt suggesting to use the sand in coco but just making a point that some additives hold on to things like air n water and some allow air to be pulled through with each watering. id run straight coco, or add a high amount of perlite in the center/middle of your pots or get the special pots i was describeing.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
I myself have always used coco/perlite for larger-than-small plants. I might toss a clone in a beer cup with straight coco, however the added aeration of even 25% perlite has helped me get a more even result with my plants, (I use smart pots) I dont get soggy middles and dry edges.

I use 5 gal hempy buckets, my last run I used about 75/25 coco/perlite.. all was good...I think it is hard to flush the perlite in the hempy buskets environment,, so this time I have perlite on the bottom (up to the holes) and coco for the rest.. only 2 months in but I am happy still, know more on a few months..

Another thing is I just dont like how the plants act/look after a flush in straight coco. Probably compressing the roots with straight coco. With perlite, I figure it wouldn't compress then, as would with straight coco.

bobblehead

Veteran
You want the perlite, trust me... Get the coarse perlite. You don't need the chunky stuff, and the horticulture grade has a lot of dust...

F_T_P!

I have used a few variations of coco/perlite. With price and performance as my top priorities, I have found out what works great for me.

I am using smart pots so that eliminates soggy mid-pot coco and also dries out the medium faster. The air pruning allows you to grow bigger plants in smaller pots. Plants in a 3 gallon regular pot are about the same size as a 1 gallon smart pot plant. Which is less medium to buy and the pots are washable for reuse.

So, for my coco mix : 75% canna coco 15% chunky perlite, 10% vermi blend soil amendment. Before I add my mix to the pot I first layer perlite on the bottom of the smart pot about an inch high, then I add coco mix.

Since the plants dry out quickly in a 1 gallon smart pot, I use blumat drippers which constantly keep the container wet and the plants love it. The bottom layer of perlite keeps the bottom of the pot sitting in the run off dish from getting soggy.

The vermi blend is compost, humus, EWC and some guano. It brings out that funk chems and coco sometimes leave out.

With this method I am growing a good amount of plants for relatively little in coco expenses and my yield is still solid.

I have used hempy buckets with 100% coco and 50/50 coco/perlite with success as well, but not like the coco mix, blumat, smart pot combo.

I have used a few variations of coco/perlite. With price and performance as my top priorities, I have found out what works great for me.

I am using smart pots so that eliminates soggy mid-pot coco and also dries out the medium faster. The air pruning allows you to grow bigger plants in smaller pots. Plants in a 3 gallon regular pot are about the same size as a 1 gallon smart pot plant. Which is less medium to buy and the pots are washable for reuse.

So, for my coco mix : 75% canna coco 15% chunky perlite, 10% vermi blend soil amendment. Before I add my mix to the pot I first layer perlite on the bottom of the smart pot about an inch high, then I add coco mix.

Since the plants dry out quickly in a 1 gallon smart pot, I use blumat drippers which constantly keep the container wet and the plants love it. The bottom layer of perlite keeps the bottom of the pot sitting in the run off dish from getting soggy.

The vermi blend is compost, humus, EWC and some guano. It brings out that funk chems and coco sometimes leave out.

With this method I am growing a good amount of plants for relatively little in coco expenses and my yield is still solid.

I have used hempy buckets with 100% coco and 50/50 coco/perlite with success as well, but not like the coco mix, blumat, smart pot combo.

I can use the VermiBlend in a re-circulating system, right? I am interested in trying this.

Latest posts

Latest posts