What's new

Coco medium for tree grow

The only thing a larger container will do is reduce the frequency that you NEED to water. You can water more often and yield more in a smaller pot.
If you want to use perlite and chips I recommend more than a 3 gal pot if you cant water ATLEAST twice a day

A 5 gallon bucket, either drilled out like a pot or as a hempy, with 50% coir and 50% chips will be my next setup. I cant imagine anything easier that would produce so well. I need the big pots so stuff doesn't get tippy, and so I can leave it for a full day...
( I HATE pumps,timers,drip lines,recirculating nutes...:biggrin:)
DUMP STUFF IN BUCKET, MIX NUTES, WATER, FORGET IT. Its weed, don't make it rocket science.:blowbubbles:
I haven't checked pH, EC, or anything for a long time. Plants never looked so good. These freaky foxtaily haze hybrids love it. :tiphat:

picture.php

Planning a two room perpetual flip a couple weeks apart, still trying to figure out the vegging situation, space is at a minimum with two flower rooms. Thinking about a couple tents for moms and veg, my moms are all bonsai, two 1040 flats with eight moms per, really helps reducing amount of space needed.

D

DHF

Hey Bro ......I grew 2-1/2 lb plants in 5 gal buckets sittin in another 1 for a decade , but it was fast hydro SWC in lava rocks.....but....

My old bucket head grobro Blue Haze started a thread back several ys ago finishin 1 lb plants in 5 gal buckets in a bucket DTW coco , and I immediately started runnin my mom plants in the same rig to feed my ebb and flow bucket flip rooms.....

Go look at the "GH and Coir" thread in search by Blue Haze , cuz it`s babyshit simple to grow 1 lb plants in 5 gal buckets fed once a day DTW....of course dialed strains , environment and proper watts per sq ft apply as well , but easily doable....

4 plant 5 light setup`s a winner for big plants where each 1 gets blasted by 3 lights at all times with the right dialed hybrid.....A 5 ' x 5 ' foot print`s plenty big enough for 2-3 lb plants IME with 50 watts per sq ft in a 10 x 10 area.....

With 2 rooms runnin 12/12 flippin on and off with no power spikes on the meter was the main reason Heath talked me into perpetual to keep me safe in an illegal non-med place for many yrs , but it`s the only way to roll for increased harveys per yr once all the ducks are in a row.....

Runnin perpetual with big plants will require increased veg times before they go in the flip rooms 12/12 , so yas better look at runnin plants a month or so apart in age to provide enough vegtime so they get big enough for the flip rooms......

Get cuts rooted and start preveggin under T-5`s.....I vegged my krusty bucket plants under 400 mh horizontal open hood to "tit`s high " as krusty usedta call when to flip time....

All about the right hybrid and keepin the insides cleaned out with big plants Bro....Wish HL45`s love machine thread was still active....He`s killin it with perpetual 4 plant 5 light rooms....and....

Bonsai moms are perfect for big plants cuz yas don't need many cuts for picks of the litter...anyways.....Get ta work and holler if I can help....

Peace....DHF....:ying:......

Last edited:
Whats up Freds,
My original plan was too mimick your five light setup in a two 10x12 flipped rooms. I've always done soil and my only gripe was the yields compared too rockwool, coco, hydroton etc.. Was thinking of four trees per room in 10 gal pots, I hit up D and he's got me leaning towards 5 gal container, maybe double the count. The consistent power draw and consistent harvest is whats got me doing the flipped rooms, I'm thinking they're gonna have to be a month to six weeks apart to get em to the right size prior to flowering. How was HL45 doing his setup, DTW, DWC, SWC, hand fed?

D

DHF

Go look at Delta 9`s PPK`s...that`s what HL45 runs and dialin harder and faster as we speak.....

He`ll be pullin 3 lb plants before yas know it.....

Good luck....DHF....:ying:.....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I run 5 gallon bags and get about 3/4-1 pound plants. At this size container if you miss one day of watering in flower your plant is pretty much toast. Keep that in mind when you choose you pot size.

I also use cloth bags topped with 1.5-2 inches of NAPA floor dry. Much better to control fungus nats this way. With pots the nats go into the bottom holes and are hard to control if you need to apply sometime to the pot. With the NAPA floor dry on top in a bag the nats are pretty much not a factor at least for me.

With a pound plant and a 5 gallon bag you will need to secure the plant or it will fall over for sure.

Mister_D

Veteran
I run 5 gallon bags and get about 3/4-1 pound plants. At this size container if you miss one day of watering in flower your plant is pretty much toast. Keep that in mind when you choose you pot size.

This is a really good point to consider, however it's also kind of a double edged sword. The fact that the pot is able to dry out quickly is part of what makes it yield so well (constantly high o2 content in the media). Catch 22 being, if watering fucks up and your not around for a day or two.......

Oh and for god's sake man, why haven't you gone and bought a small bottle of SM90 to wipe those pesky gnats out in about 3 waterings? There's a reason freds is always touting the shit don't cha know, and why I just bought another 2.5 gals of the stuff :biggrin:

Mister_D

Veteran
No they are not even really a gnat. That is why they have no g in their name.

Alright smartass, so what's your thinking behind SM90 not being able to kill these "nats" of yours? Or am I just completely missing a joke here? Been sick as hell all week, so my brain isn't functioning at full capacity :moon:.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Alright smartass, so what's your thinking behind SM90 not being able to kill these "nats" of yours? Or am I just completely missing a joke here? Been sick as hell all week, so my brain isn't functioning at full capacity :moon:.

I don't have gnats. End of story.