What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco holding too much water. Pots wont dry and roots turning brown

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You suggested using gypsum not dolomite lime.

No one said the laws of chemistry change but coco has a different cec profile and does not act the same as soil.

I never said anything about ripping out plants, think your confused.

Anyways I am not going to clog up this thread arguing with a soil grower who thinks he knows how to fix everyone's coco issues with gypsum. Sorry.

Here's some science about coir and using gypsum. Dolomite is calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate, so it is a calcium source, not very good, but it is a source. I am talking about Ca. And you should read the rest of the thread before commenting.

Worse comes to worse, just look at the pictures.

Attachments

• pub__9468201.pdf
    478.4 KB · Views: 85

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
I've just wasted 20 minutes reading that crap .... most of it is about really low grade Mexican coco, the Canna coco plant is the same size as the control

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've just wasted 20 minutes reading that crap .... most of it is about really low grade Mexican coco, the Canna coco plant is the same size as the control

Just fuck off

This guy had plants dying. The idea was to save the plants.

Love it when you brits bring out all your intelligence with those big words....

You can't tell time either...

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mikell,

You seem to be a master at lopsided summaries. You missed the conclusion of your silly summary. You were wrong. This was an easy problem to fix. He lost the crop listening to folks like you. They say ignorance is bliss, but I think ignorance in agriculture is extremely costly.

I have worked in many mediums, rice hulls in blueberries, ornamental plants etc... give it a break already. You tried to make the argument that coco is some magic medium, when it breaks down it makes soil. Real simple. Don't make it that complicated and try and open up a little bit to learning.

Have you ever grown in broken down coir and perlite?

That's a statement thinly disguised as a question. Get back to us when you have tried anything you recommend.

Cheers

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is only one way to wash out salts.

Get over it.

I realize all those big words in the article about using gypsum might be a bit much for you. But just look at the pictures.

Doesn't mean I need to have experience in an medium that has broken down to know that science works. Sort of like arguing about gravity. A rock falls to the soil from my hand, I argue an acorn will drop to the soil too. Science is science. Just because I haven't done it, doesn't mean I can not apply logic.

Logic seems a bit lost on this thread as does science. Nor does their seem to be any compassion for someone that has a problem.

Phases

Comparing gravity to growing. Nice. Well I for one have been won over by your indisputable logic....

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Get over it.

I realize all those big words in the article about using gypsum might be a bit much for you. But just look at the pictures.

Doesn't mean I need to have experience in an medium that has broken down to know that science works. Sort of like arguing about gravity. A rock falls to the soil from my hand, I argue an acorn will drop to the soil too. Science is science. Just because I haven't done it, doesn't mean I can not apply logic.

Logic seems a bit lost on this thread as does science. Nor does their seem to be any compassion for someone that has a problem.

I find it hard to reconcile your use of the words science and logic when you clearly deal in nothing more than guessing and conjecture.

Here is an idea. Grow in pure coir. Top dress with gypsum. Observe and post the result.

Until then, there is a subforum for soil growers.

Compassion for the OP? Of course. Who wouldn't try to save a coir grower from the inexperienced (coir wise) advice of a soil grower and their dirt solutions.

Cheers

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find it hard to reconcile your use of the words science and logic when you clearly deal in nothing more than guessing and conjecture.

Here is an idea. Grow in pure coir. Top dress with gypsum. Observe and post the result.

Until then, there is a subforum for soil growers.

Compassion for the OP? Of course. Who wouldn't try to save a coir grower from the inexperienced (coir wise) advice of a soil grower and their dirt solutions.

Cheers

Unfortunately the grower lost it listening to you all. Not me.

Ratzilla

Veteran
If a peeps recycles eventually everything breaks down.
Also when there is high microbe-life things are made more readily available.
Even as high as I try to make my coco medium very porous by use of things like the mesocarp of the coir and par boiled rice hulls ,chunky perlite and diatomaceous earth .
I water with rain water with a touch of a surfactant yucca is my choice and using watering twice principle my medium still takes 6-8 days to dry down in 2.5-3 gallon pots under a 1000 w hPS.
Believe me I tried watering at earlier intervals like at 3-4 days and have seen no difference.
I have come to look at a coco coir pots in thirds meaning a top 1/3 a middle 1/3 and the bottom 1/3. I practice patience into letting my medium dry down to when the bottom 1/3 just starts to move off of wet into the medium scale on a moisture meter is when I water.
To long for a healthy harvest some may say but I grow in a small closet and grow more then enough to support my use as well as a few friends here and there.
Another trick I employ is using what I refer too as buried treasures where I'll place a TBL of say SRP 0-3-0 or other element near the bottom of the pot that is needed as well as sought out by plant roots where the plant is given the choice.
I am also a theorist who believes that the plant is in charge, conducting its own symphony by what exudes it sends to the roots.
As I said before I believe peeps saying my way is best are the ones who are in need of learning for there are many ways to success.
And using the analogy of cooks in the kitchen each with their own recipes all making tasty vittles.
Peace my brothers we have all been here before!!!
Ratz never saying never. :tiphat:

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran

Get over it.

amending coco like a soil completely defeats the whole point of growing in an inert medium. adding something for drainage is probably about it.
I do get a chip on my shoulder when you get a smart ass on the forums who cant even post up reasonable pics illustrating how fantastic their methods are working for them.. from the few pics you do have your buds look a little pale, some slight nute burn on the tips and twisted leaves which is either a mild nitrogen overdose or a ph issue.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Surely more milk and gypsum are the solution.

He's an alright sort, just doesn't know shit about coir.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
long before my time. apparently it does work. ooops.

long before my time. apparently it does work. ooops.

Surely more milk and gypsum are the solution.

He's an alright sort, just doesn't know shit about coir.

Oops. Apparently someone tried it and it worked!

Chemistry is chemistry. I don't care what medium your are in.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=206035

Currently bumping heavily several hydro grows with more Ca too. Working great!
:moon:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice...

Two people tried it with almost zero follow up.

Amazing.

Have a nice day.

Sorry about your plants man.

also sorry about this turning into a D measuring contest. Multiple pieces of advice were given, the grower made a decision, didn't turn out great. It happens. Impossible to know what "may" have happened so unless someone wants to do a side by side and document it, I'll just take my ball and go home.

EastCoast710

don't water your clones for a bit.. man . when putting clones from rockwool into coco u want to wet just the rockwool after transplant with a lil extra water.. and the top do not SOAK.. and let them dry out in between 2 times.. then u can fully saturate and watch them take off

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
don't water your clones for a bit.. man . when putting clones from rockwool into coco u want to wet just the rockwool after transplant with a lil extra water.. and the top do not SOAK.. and let them dry out in between 2 times.. then u can fully saturate and watch them take off

That was my first mistake with coco, especially in those solo cups. The roots did not grow at all, from being constantly wet. I switched to the smallest airpots they make, and did much better. Letting them dry out (lite weight) without surface going dry. In late veg and flower, should be wet all the time.

EastCoast710

That was my first mistake with coco, especially in those solo cups. The roots did not grow at all, from being constantly wet. I switched to the smallest airpots they make, and did much better. Letting them dry out (lite weight) without surface going dry. In late veg and flower, should be wet all the time.

I let my plants dry out.. after each transplant 2-3 times.. almost to wilting.. like dry ass coco. then after those 3 times.. ill flush with 3/4th strength nutes.. and haven't had problems since..
:huggg:

Phases

East coast. That's what I am tryin right now and seems to be working. I've read doc much about keeping the coco wet at all times but when they are little clones have to let it dry out and get the roots established, that's just how it seems to me. Looks like others are able to keep the coco wet from the get go... but that's caused me small crappy root systems and then you know what that leads too.. small crappy buds.

Latest posts

Latest posts