What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco Hempy style.

Riviera123

Bottom feeding

Bottom feeding

Yes i think the bottom feeding would be great concept but manually might work better for me. The Auto Pot potential of water flooding the floor however scares me
After flood /runoff with Blumats. I was thinking of just bottom feeding /watering with the saucer under a smart pot as i only run 1 plant.

glockdoc

Yes i think the bottom feeding would be great concept but manually might work better for me. The Auto Pot potential of water flooding the floor however scares me
After flood /runoff with Blumats. I was thinking of just bottom feeding /watering with the saucer under a smart pot as i only run 1 plant.
you sure can bottom feed as you would like. you do have to make sure not to leave the stagnant water in the saucer untreated.
you should make sure to bottom feed ph'd water daily to avoid the nutrient lock out you will run into from the stagnant waters swing in ph.

justiceman

Veteran
Go with what you feel is best for you but I'd think if you wanted something really easy then the Hempy is still a good option over just bottom feeding a smart pot. Hempy is the best of both worlds. You get a bit of bottom feeding from the passive reservoir. It helps to prevent the coco from drying out too much and you get the benefit of a DTW style which will always help prevent nutrient build up. It's also very easy to gauge how much feed you need each time since the runoff can only come from one tiny hole.

you sure can bottom feed as you would like. you do have to make sure not to leave the stagnant water in the saucer untreated.
you should make sure to bottom feed ph'd water daily to avoid the nutrient lock out you will run into from the stagnant waters swing in ph.
Yup stagnant water's pH can change real fast.

Riviera123

COCO hempy style

COCO hempy style

Yes i totally agree, Hempy is the way to go. I am reading the huge hempy thread started by Dalihempy . The hempy Bucket is so simple.
My home made cabinet has built in drain tray so makes it nice as well.:peacock: i like the florinova grow in veg now trying to weigh out which nute would be better for flowering in coco hempy bucket.
I have GH florinova bloom and pure blend Pro hydro not the soil coco version. I mixed the florinova gro with liquid Karma in veg and plants loving it!

N

noyd666

I used to run over 80 hempys in 5gal buckets, perlite n canna coco, easiest way of growing ever, might go back to it later, perlite was the bitch I didn't like.

Riviera123

Hempy Buckets are the best but perlite is messy

Hempy Buckets are the best but perlite is messy

Wow 80 Hempy Buckets ! :tiphat::laughing:Yes I agree the messy perlite afterwards is a bit nasty. My first hempy buckets I did were 100% perlite . Actually coco gets pretty sloppy too when you let it. At the time I was thinking I would recycle the perlite well I did in a different way just dumped it into my Compost pile. I’m currently using grow stones recycled glass in bottom of my 1 gallon milk jug Coco Hempy buckets .The only disadvantage I see not using the Perlite in the bottom is the weight . When you lift the bucket it’s harder to tell how much water is in it with heavier mediums With the perlite its so nice and light. However the heavier stuff would seem to be good for smaller containers to keep plant steady and grounded and not too tippy.
The clay pellets seems like a good idea if you want to reuse it. Thank you for your comments everyone I love to see this thread expand. :thank you:

Riviera123

I also think i was being weird with the smiley faces in last post . Anyways Hempy Buckets work out great and hand watering seems to be the cats ass for me for all my plants . I am too afraid of auto watering floods. Also for me checking the plants on a daily basis for any issues seems vital. However as many have said the option of leaving the hempy buckets go a couple of days is nice if u leave town. Going with the 70/30 botanicare coco next time.

justiceman

Veteran
I also think i was being weird with the smiley faces in last post . Anyways Hempy Buckets work out great and hand watering seems to be the cats ass for me for all my plants . I am too afraid of auto watering floods. Also for me checking the plants on a daily basis for any issues seems vital. However as many have said the option of leaving the hempy buckets go a couple of days is nice if u leave town. Going with the 70/30 botanicare coco next time.

I don't think you have to worry about being weird around here :biggrin:. Some hempy's can go a couple days but it really depends on the size of the hempy bucket and the size of the plant to say for sure. Definitely a better buffer than just a straight pot though.

Here's how my current coco hempy grow is looking.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

MedResearcher

Veteran
I used to run over 80 hempys in 5gal buckets, perlite n canna coco, easiest way of growing ever, might go back to it later, perlite was the bitch I didn't like.

Hate perlite as well. Last few years I have been using lava rock from a landscape yard to mix with soil instead. It is at least 1/3rd of the price, doesn't float, supports microbes, still has nasty dust though.

Planning on setting up some hempy's soon, was going to give the lava rock a go for the bottom layer, coco on top. I do think, the perlite holds a little more air, hopefully the rock holds enough.

Anyone already try lava rock for the reservoir?

Mr^^

Riviera123

Yes you nailed it especially in soil grows the perlite floats to top after watering . I used the lava rock from Home Depot in soil and it stays put. I’d like to find a better source for lava rock tho cause oi think the Home Depot stuff might have some kind of red dye in it.

DunHav`nFun

Hate perlite as well. Last few years I have been using lava rock from a landscape yard to mix with soil instead. It is at least 1/3rd of the price, doesn't float, supports microbes, still has nasty dust though.

Planning on setting up some hempy's soon, was going to give the lava rock a go for the bottom layer, coco on top. I do think, the perlite holds a little more air, hopefully the rock holds enough.

Anyone already try lava rock for the reservoir?

Mr^^
Used lava rock for 10 yrs with Krusty buckets and another 10 with DIY Ebb and flow buckets...... 2 different setups but never as Hempy bucket bottom rez material .....that said......

It most likely once totally cleaned of crap residuals and all residue is the best bottom rez material since perlite turns to sludge in the bottoms after awhile and deteriorates as to where the sturdier lava with all it`s nooks and crannies would still be the best bet for bennies and O2 holding abilities for the rootzone.......anyways....

Bottom line with Hempy buckets......water/feed often enough to exchange bottom rez juice so as to prevent anaerobic stagnant juice activity in the rootzone and you`re pretty much golden as long as you don`t let the plants outgrow their container....all about runs under yer belt and learning each strain.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

Lethal

Coco Hempy time has come!

Coco Hempy time has come!

Hi all,

So it seems that I have reached the point when I will be also jumping on the Coco Hempy ride after going through the classic perlite/vermiculite and pure perlite runs. I have did my homework and read through this whole thread + refreshed my knowledge on the original Hempy thread.

I am still not sure if I'll manage to do full round or just veg some mums and share some cuts with my friends for outdoors as I am starting with super quick 6 weeks strain (so do they say yet to be verified).

My last run on pure perlite hempys was quite a win if I can put it that way. 4 ladies 3 strains under 400w in 12.3 l buckets netted 496 grams of nice buds + 94 grams of sugar leaf and larf bud trim.

I hope I will be able to replicate these results in the future.

For all out there what are your experiences with keeping mom's in coco hempys? Is there anything specific which you would recommend to do or avoid on the other hand?

Cheers Lethal :tiphat:

Riviera123

Hi , well I can only tell you what I used for mother plants . I used 1 gallon milk jugs with top cut off for a couple of mom plants. I used grow stones on bottom to the hole then filled up with plain coco.
I don’t have a lot of space so the jugs r a little big and bulky . I would use a smaller container and certainly not (heavy ) grow stones on bottom as they make it so you can’t just pick up the bucket and tell if u need to water by gauging the weight.

Riviera123

Space

Space

I have two coco hempy buckets in
Cabinet i made with 27 gal totes inside is 12” by 27” and will fit one standard tray. I grew two plants in hempy milk jugs in my makeshift cabinet. My light is a 107 watt Migro cob Light.:biggrin:
Plants flourished in veg and filled the cabinet and it seemed crowded . Then 4 weeks into flower and the space was only half full. Seems like a waste of space.
Maybe 2 liter coco Hempy sog would be a better option. Lst Training in a small cabinet seems a little cramped unless you pull the plants out for manicure as well.

Latest posts

Latest posts