What's new

Coco Hempy style.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
So by that logic, the higher the water absorbtion capability the better?

I assumed coco would absorb more water than hydroton, perlite or any of those other common media.

Isn't the purpose to anchor the plant and to allow water to be drawn up through the roots?

I never said anything about "better". I said there is probably just as much total water in the bottom inch of a hempy filled with only coco as there is in the bottom 2" of a bucket with rocks displacing water there.

TrippyNate

yo what brand coco do you guys suggest, and first time grower here. I'm doing a 6 plant hempy set up inside of a 4x4 tent. Not sure what kind of lamp i should get. I know that i want atleast a 1000 hps one though, any suggestions would help. Just wanna know what kinda average yield you guys think i should get with a setup( i know it depends on the strain but lets say all 6 are bag seed and none turn out to be male ) I am a caregiver in MI, pretty much a noob at this shit for now but I've been reading this whole thread and would like just a little bit of direction.

:tiphat:

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
yo what brand coco do you guys suggest, and first time grower here. I'm doing a 6 plant hempy set up inside of a 4x4 tent. Not sure what kind of lamp i should get. I know that i want atleast a 1000 hps one though, any suggestions would help. Just wanna know what kinda average yield you guys think i should get with a setup( i know it depends on the strain but lets say all 6 are bag seed and none turn out to be male ) I am a caregiver in MI, pretty much a noob at this shit for now but I've been reading this whole thread and would like just a little bit of direction.

:tiphat:

Keep it simple and good. 2 or 3 gal hempys and 7grams a gal of maxibloom for your nutes from seed to finish, same feed. Arrange your 6 plants in a circle and hang the bare hps bulb right in the middle of them. Seeing how you are in a 4x4 tent I don't know if you can move enough air to cool a 1000w. Ask about that in the lighting section. Anyway stay simple, less chance of screwing up and coco and maxibloom produce VERY well.

Bobbo4200

Veteran
1000w in a 4 x 4 tent will be very hot... Not saying it can't be done, but you will need to have the room-tent a/c'ed. I have a 600 in a 4 x 4 tent, and someone named Hush did actually do a 1000watter in a 4 x 4 tent. Best of luck!

hello everyone! i'm growing two plants each in 3 gallon coco hempy buckets with perlite reservoir.

been feeding 1.2ec for weeks 1-7 of flowering and im two days from the 8th week and the harvest is near. one of my cheeses has it's runoff gone as high as 2.0ec and I think she doesn't want / need any more nutrients as of now.

How do people finalflush their coco hempys ?

cheers,

ww

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
hello everyone! i'm growing two plants each in 3 gallon coco hempy buckets with perlite reservoir.

been feeding 1.2ec for weeks 1-7 of flowering and im two days from the 8th week and the harvest is near. one of my cheeses has it's runoff gone as high as 2.0ec and I think she doesn't want / need any more nutrients as of now.

How do people finalflush their coco hempys ?

cheers,

ww

The majority use straight water, some use weak nute solution. Most say you don't need a 2+ week flush in coco and that 5-7 days is plenty, some only flush 3-4 days. Your choice, can't go wrong it seems. Goodluck!

thank you for your comment. :smile: If I recall, master Coconutz was doing 3-5 days flush. In pure coco I used to flush for 7-10 days.

How does this sound to you? A few gallon watering with ph'd tap water once and after that ph'd tap water till runoff everyday.

Do you flush until 0ec?

thanks,

WW:tiphat:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
If you re-use your coco, flush ph'd low strength for a few days.
Think of your flush as a prep for the next grow.

Drip clean and sm90 used regularly will virtually prevent buildup.

I only flush to my water E.C., 0.1. That is my preference.
And I re-use my coco, Sunleaves Piece Coir Brick.

Good thread.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup , just feed plain water every day with plenty of runoff untill you harvest .

Justinsane

Maybe I missed it but WHY does coco hempy work better than 100% perlite hempy? Thanks.

Because coco rocks!

The first 2-3 weeks the coco/perlite plant will grow much faster and become stronger and healthier.

In just perlite youll have to wait for the roots to hit the res before you get any real growth so first couple of weeks can be real slow whit just perlite.

Justin:tiphat:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Because coco rocks!

The first 2-3 weeks the coco/perlite plant will grow much faster and become stronger and healthier.

In just perlite youll have to wait for the roots to hit the res before you get any real growth so first couple of weeks can be real slow whit just perlite.

Coco has trichoderma, which roots love. Also, don't forget the rhizotonic, or similar product. MBFerts has a generic version that is not so costly. Never tried it, as I always stuck with Rhizotonic. 100% coco will beat coco/perlite, unless you are talking about perlite in the 2 inch rez.

Justinsane

Coco has trichoderma, which roots love. Also, don't forget the rhizotonic, or similar product. MBFerts has a generic version that is not so costly. Never tried it, as I always stuck with Rhizotonic. 100% coco will beat coco/perlite, unless you are talking about perlite in the 2 inch rez.

Hey Retro...i always talk about a rez...lol

And Rhizotonic with coco is absolutley great!

J

Dr.RedWhite

Because coco rocks!

Well you can remedy that. Run an internal wick made from 1/2 inch white nylon rope vertically from the reservoir to the top of the perlite and plant your seedling next to it. No more perlite lag. I actually like perlite better, no messing with K, mag, cal problems either. That said once you get the hang of coco you will do fine. I like just filling the bucket with perlite instead of a layer of perlite then the coco on top of it.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Coco outperforms perlite by a wide margin. It's why Hempy switched. I have done it both ways, and coco wins, easily.

medman47

You know the od thing i find useing coco its the little flying mozzi like bugs that just show up there not a prob at all just odd to see them show up from no were soon as the plants are harvested they go to.

This grow i had these things that looked like blow flys started with 2 then a few days later it was more killed them yea i just had to lol but its od its almost like there laying dorment in the coco and soon as you add water they show up any of you notice this or am i the only one to.

I've found if you put a couple of inches of perlite on top of the coco coir presto chango no more flying mozzi or blow flys anyway it worked really great for me.....Hempy's Rule!

Attachments

• SAM_0277.jpg
    SAM_0277.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 41
Greeting all!

I was thinking of doing a Hempy grow with 2 or 3 gallon smart pots. In the smart pot would be about 3 inches of hydroton clay pellets at the bottom. On top of that would be coco. This would then be placed in a some sort of saucer that could hold about 2 inches of liquid. This way the coco would not wick the liquid and drown the plant. The smart pot could be watered and left to drain and then set in the saucer for the "Hempy" effect.

Does anyone see any issues with this design? Has anyone ever tried this before?

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Greeting all!

I was thinking of doing a Hempy grow with 2 or 3 gallon smart pots. In the smart pot would be about 3 inches of hydroton clay pellets at the bottom. On top of that would be coco. This would then be placed in a some sort of saucer that could hold about 2 inches of liquid. This way the coco would not wick the liquid and drown the plant. The smart pot could be watered and left to drain and then set in the saucer for the "Hempy" effect.

Other than there's no bucket... I'd still be interested to know how it works out.. post your results..

mgk :tiphat:

Greeting all!

Opps, my bust. I thought this was the coco forum. I am sure that the powers that be would not be happy if I copied this over there. So, could a Moderator please move this to the "Coco Hempy Style" thread in the "Growing in Coco Coir" forum? Apologies to all.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65577[/FONT]

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Opps, my bust. I thought this was the coco forum. I am sure that the powers that be would not be happy if I copied this over there. So, could a Moderator please move this to the "Coco Hempy Style" thread in the "Growing in Coco Coir" forum? Apologies to all.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65577[/FONT]

Don't swett it.. nobody's gonna come crashing down on you because you made a mistake.. still sounds like a good thing to try.. sure would like to see your results..

mgk :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts