What's new

Coco Hempy style.

Nope. Doubt it.
But one thing I have noticed with Hempys after doing many runs: you will get explosive growth if you feed EVERY day. The fresh oxygen gives a noticeable boost to the plants, and every day watering/feeding is how you develop hydro roots, and maximum yield. I have gotten bigger plants in two gallon buckets watered/fed daily than I got in 5 gallon buckets watered/fed every other day. It's a hydro medium, and you can't over water coco. Keep a fresh res and you will notice a big difference.

But surely watering every day depends on other factors, such as size of plant, room temps, strain etc etc right? Hempy doesn't water his plants every day.

Big plants grown in hot conditions require more water than smaller plants in colder rooms. It's also strain dependent. Your plants are what I call "guzzlers" if your coco dries up daily and need daily waterings.

bmaster

If you do it from the start, you will develop ''hydro" roots. That makes all the difference. Don't drown the seedlings, but if you start in 16 oz. Solo cups (clear, so you can see roots) in Miracle Grow Seed Starter Mix, or Fox Farms Seed Starter Mix (mostly spaghnum with light nutes and mycorrhizae) you will give your seedlings their best possible start. When that cup is filled with roots, transplant directly to coco, and commence to watering/feeding daily. Makes a huge difference over every other day feeding, mostly because of the fresh oxygen and promotion of hydro roots. If you wait too long, you will not get hydro roots. Like I posted, I got much bigger plants in 2 gallon buckets fed daily, than in 5 gallon buckets fed every 2 or three days, even though you will still get decent results that way. Another option is drip rings, with continuous feeding, as long as you are getting runoff every day. I posted a link to some really cool drip rings earlier in this thread. Check them out, as they come in different sizes, and have 54 holes for even watering, and stakes for inserting in your pots. Work really well. A shop vac comes in handy to collect runoff from trays under the plants. Always water/feed to runoff, ensuring that you are replacing old solution in the rez with fresh. It makes all the difference.

Here's the link for the bitchingest drip rings. I had posted in other Hempy bucket thread. These things are killer, and once dialed in, it's set & forget. Don't forget to have continuous run off......

http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Halo-Water-Ring-9/dp/B0055F55O6/ref=pd_ybh_1

I totally agree that the roots love the 02 water daily right from the start. My girls never look droopy or stunted. They take off fast and never look back. It's hydro after all, not soil (even tho the looks can fool ya, lol)

I totally agree that the roots love the 02 water daily right from the start. My girls never look droopy or stunted. They take off fast and never look back. It's hydro after all, not soil (even tho the looks can fool ya, lol)

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=42389&pictureid=1031826&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=42389&pictureid=1031827&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
So when you transplant them into their final 2gal HB's, would you water them everyday til run off no matter what throughout the rest of their lives, up until harvest?

RetroGrow

Veteran
So when you transplant them into their final 2gal HB's, would you water them everyday til run off no matter what throughout the rest of their lives, up until harvest?

Yes. Fresh rez daily......Coco is a hydro medium.....This recipe comes from experience. Have done it every which way. Daily, or even more than once daily with drip rings brings best results.

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Heyyy Retro! Finally picked up some miracle grow seedling mix and planted a seed for a future Coco Hempy! I hope everything goes smoothly, thanks for the help!!

RetroGrow

Veteran
Heyyy Retro! Finally picked up some miracle grow seedling mix and planted a seed for a future Coco Hempy! I hope everything goes smoothly, thanks for the help!!

That's the best mix for starting seedlings, in my experience. Did you start in paper towels, or plant directly in mix? I prefer paper towels, but if you started directly in mix, put some saran wrap or something on top of cup to keep humidity high until they pop. Mist daily until they pop.

Bobbo4200

Veteran
No I didnt. I will do it once the lights turn on today. I planted directly into the mix. Thanks for the help!

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Having some Hempy issues. I've never grown in hempy style buckets but started 2 up with some moms under a T5 to check them out.

The plants exploded and are generally in good health. I'm in a 4 gal square pot.. coco, perlite at the bottom with hole about 2" up.

Plants came from a 1 Gal soil root ball however as that is how it was given to me.

Jacks + CalNit @ 1.2EC
pH is always high 5s.
Watered daily until water spills out of the hole pretty good.

Really twisty/funky new growth. Do hempy's need to be watered at a lower pH? Any idea what my issues are here?

Here she is all hacked up.. still a beast.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

pH issues? But meter is calibrated and they get high 5s every watering. Too much nutes? I might have hit then with a 1.4-1.5 before, but have since been drenched with RO and back to 1.2EC.

Havnt tested any run-off from these pots.

banaanimies

Tieto lisää tuskaa

Tieto lisää tuskaa

Hey guys, new to ICmag and right away I got some questions for you!!

So, I'm planning my 3rd grow here and its gong to be Skunk #1 from sensi seeds in coco hempy with perlite down at the bottom. Canna A+B, PK13/14 and probably something that has some triacontanol(foliar spray during veg). Am I going to run into any nutrient problems? Also getting some pH-down as my tapwater pH is around 8. What do you think, is something crucial missing? For easy increase in harvest ofcourse, nothing crazy expensive tho hehe..

Sorry if I'm the 1000th newbie asking the same question over and over again, but this thread is pretty big and my brain is already swollen from the information overload. The method seems simple enough but I'm not sure about the nutes, I just want to make sure. :thank you:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Hey guys, new to ICmag and right away I got some questions for you!!

So, I'm planning my 3rd grow here and its gong to be Skunk #1 from sensi seeds in coco hempy with perlite down at the bottom. Canna A+B, PK13/14 and probably something that has some triacontanol(foliar spray during veg). Am I going to run into any nutrient problems? Also getting some pH-down as my tapwater pH is around 8. What do you think, is something crucial missing? For easy increase in harvest ofcourse, nothing crazy expensive tho hehe..

Sorry if I'm the 1000th newbie asking the same question over and over again, but this thread is pretty big and my brain is already swollen from the information overload. The method seems simple enough but I'm not sure about the nutes, I just want to make sure. :thank you:

Rhizotonic for the roots. Boost is the Canna product with triacontanol. Recommend Boost in your rez/food, not foliar.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good luck with them Twisted :tiphat:

I just put 6 in a couple days ago myself :)

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just under a month later than the last pic ..... they went into flower tonight :)

Fed RO water ,canna A&B with calmag & epsom in bagged canna coco with a perilite rez . :)

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassott's dad View Post
Yes. Fresh rez daily......Coco is a hydro medium.....This recipe comes from experience. Have done it every which way. Daily, or even more than once daily with drip rings brings best results.
I fed them every other day in veg & they still exploded to 18" plants in a months time !!!

P

Puffley

Actually, Hempy buckets with coco will blow away smart pots if done properly. Hemby buckets are a hydro medium, and should be watered every day to run off for maximum growth. Fresh solution daily, or continuously with drip rings, brings fresh oxygen, which brings explosive growth. Smart pots evaporate lots of liquid through holes. There is no benefit of smart pots over Hempy buckets. Quite the opposite. Also, much cheaper. Anyone want to buy some smart pots cheap?

I'm currently running hempy buckets with coco and have been thinking about switching over to coco with blumat drippers. Can anyone agree that hempy buckets will have superior growth rates over coco with droppers?

P

Puffley

Anyone try straight coco? Does it work? Considering you can't over water coco or hempy buckets, I don't see why it shouldn't? Only reason I'm asking is because I want to ditch the perlite, its just way too dusty and extra hassle.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Puffley .... i'm not tryin to be a wise ass , but that question has been answered in the thread on the first page or first couple of pages . go back and read the thread . its all there dude .

Latest posts

Latest posts