What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco grow veg problem day 21

Chronicbs

Most likely you're overfeeding. It is very difficult to get a consistent nutrient concentration without measuring PPM/EC. Including reading the run-off if necessary.

I know you're getting a lot of very different advice.

Try it my way anyway, I can vouch for it and it will work.

And get a good, cheap EC meter. Mine is super cheap from China, about $35 on ebay, and it measures pH to 2 digits after the zero, and temperature. Buy one cheap, because if it fails, you'll need to buy another one. Also, when they're new, let them stand in filtered water for a few days, so the sensor can hydrate.

This would be my advice too. Sounds like overfert and buildup causing lockouts. Need to flush till you get the EC down on your runoff but you have no idea what your runoff is and imo are probably not running nearly enough water though the plants to really flush them down to proper levels.

I slacked off recently on checking some mother plants runoff and then after taking clones from them they stunted bad and looked just like yours. I checked the runoff... The EC was up to 4.5 and very acidic too! I ran at least 10 gallons through each 3 gallon smart pot plant to get the EC down and pH into range. They looked drastically better within 24 hours.

Also of note I feed very lightly too. Usually just EC 1 in flower or less and no more than 1.6 in heavy flower.

mango420

That is a mag deff for sure, also possibly nitrogen. You need to pick up a ppm meter so you know what your giving your plants.

Mart1n

Just wanted to give my thanks for your kind suggestions with an update. There they are - 11 days after last post in photos below. The bigger girl is a real mother plant as you can see. The smaller one just doesn`t want to grow that bushy and her yellowing/deficiencies took longer to cure, but I hope some smoke will come out of her too anyways. Overall I`m real happy with the situation :)

Anyways there they are (4 full weeks in veg, Im gonna veg them for 5-6 weeks).

...and Coco rocks!

Attachments

• 20170119_191005.jpg
    20170119_191005.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170122_130917.jpg
    20170122_130917.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170122_130903.jpg
    20170122_130903.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20170121_162353.jpg
    20170121_162353.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170122_131052.jpg
    20170122_131052.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 9

Old Toker

You want the container to get light, without the surface drying out before feeding..
I've read this advice before. How is it that the bottom of the container will dry (get light) while the surface does NOT dry out? Wouldn't the surface dry FIRST? Is the suggested method to mist the surface occasionally while not actually feeding the rest of the plant?

I've read this advice before. How is it that the bottom of the container will dry (get light) while the surface does NOT dry out? Wouldn't the surface dry FIRST? Is the suggested method to mist the surface occasionally while not actually feeding the rest of the plant?

Roots drink.

Seedling roots will empty the bottom of the container before the surface dries?

When you water coco, you saturate the coco. Majority prefer seeing runoff, although some water without reaching that point. Regardless, the coco gets saturated. Over time, air dries out the coco from above while the roots suck up moisture from the coco down below. This makes the pot weigh less. What Loc was saying was to water them when this takes place, and not to wait until the top layer of coco gets bone/dust dry. Weighing less, so not saturated, but not fully dried out either.

This method + roots excel made the roots come easy in veg for me. I also think SM90 had something to do with it, but haven't tested without it so it's just anecdotal.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran

I hated using solo cups. Trick is to get them to need feeding as often as possible. I go from smallest air-pot, to small root-router, to 2-3 gallon air-pot. So much air goes in the bottom and sides, they dry out fast. It takes a little practice, but feel them when saturated, then lift each day. If the surface shows any signs of drying (in airpot, not sure about solo cups, or other pots) you have waited too long. Once the roots fill out the largest pot, feed multiple times a day, and never wait to feed. Best results are with automated watering on timer that can be set to second. Dansbuds has that perfected.

I am currently using coco for seeds, mothers, and making feminized seeds. Using RDWC for grows. So not investing in automation for coco.

Old Toker

Thanks Loc Dog! My next (and last) up-pot is into 2 gal fabric pots. Hopefully those will dry faster than plastic beer cups. Going to hand water for this grow but I am definitely planning an automated DTW for the next one.

Latest posts

Latest posts