What's new

Coco education for experienced growers

glitchsta

Shit man I haveva few plants doimg that same thing... I was thinking it was overfert... Not sure.. I am gonna cut out the calimagic and max out the nutes to 4ml each of a&. I also use all additives at prolly 1/4 of recomended... Anyone know for sure what that def. Is? Much thanks

i think mine was a couple diff problems. the roots were taking over the entire container and wrapping around the pot. this also caused an underwatering problem because i was only watering once per day, which in turn locked certain nutes out beccause of salt build up...thats just what i am thinking...just transplanted into a larger fabric pot .. we shall see soon

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Shit man I haveva few plants doimg that same thing... I was thinking it was overfert... Not sure.. I am gonna cut out the calimagic and max out the nutes to 4ml each of a&. I also use all additives at prolly 1/4 of recomended... Anyone know for sure what that def. Is? Much thanks

How is the rootzone temps in those plants? Very important as they will go into lockout mode right away if not warm enough.

dont know about actual temps in the rootzone, but it is on a table that is 3ft. off the ground and the temps are 71-73 at night and 79-81 during the day. at plant level

glitchsta

I am not sure... Its only one of the strains I am running all the other plants look fine...the tips and sides of leaves are curling up... No from it bein to hot... I was thinking magnesium deficiency and oveferting...
I flushed last night and fed em weak today...

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Resin. I would pour some r/o water thru the coco and measure the runnoff ppm. I about 99% sure you just have a bit of lockout. Flush with dripclean (only if youve been using it) and r/o water. If you havent been using drip clean, start off at 1/2 strength or less. Use at least 3x as many gallons of water as there is coco. That should get you down to the 100-200ppm range. Then immediately add some food back into them. Just a medium strength (half strength). Next time they dry out, put em back on the norm schedule.

Resin. I would pour some r/o water thru the coco and measure the runnoff ppm. I about 99% sure you just have a bit of lockout. Flush with dripclean (only if youve been using it) and r/o water. If you havent been using drip clean, start off at 1/2 strength or less. Use at least 3x as many gallons of water as there is coco. That should get you down to the 100-200ppm range. Then immediately add some food back into them. Just a medium strength (half strength). Next time they dry out, put em back on the norm schedule.

thanks man . i just repotted into a 5 gallon fabric container . feeding drip clean, silica, and maxigrow with ro water at 1.0-1.1 ec. going to see how she does ..still have leaves going completely yellow though..going to wait another week and see if anything gets better..

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran

That ain't the way coco works, it isn't soil. After flushing that much ro thru coco it's stripped. Then when you only feed low ec back it grabs the things it collects and releases none of them to the plant. It can take multiple feeds before the cation levels are in balance and it quits hoarding. Some people on here quit coco because it does this. Flush with low ec feed and no straight water till the end.

That ain't the way coco works, it isn't soil. After flushing that much ro thru coco it's stripped. Then when you only feed low ec back it grabs the things it collects and releases none of them to the plant. It can take multiple feeds before the cation levels are in balance and it quits hoarding. Some people on here quit coco because it does this. Flush with low ec feed and no straight water till the end.

agreed .. always was told never flush straight ro .. always low nutrient solution... just wondering if i should go to a coco specific nute line... dont want to because they are more expensive ... but i have always loved coco.. better yields great bud formation, and great roots... i dunno ... lost.. hoping it recovers in a week and stops yellowing.. seems to me that there is a lock out or a calcium def... dont know but i would love to master this coco , not trying to change mediums:tiphat:

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
How long ago did you switch from .5ec tap to ro? Same plant right. Probably too much calcium in your tap locking out the mag is what started your imbalance.

Weeded1s

My vortex did that on 1 top for a sec..mine was to dry. Your leaves r sceaming at u that their either over or under watered..if their wet its over if they seem dry feed em. Let it chill at 1.2 ec for a bit..like a week b4 u up it..I think its from the watering problem now...as the ph should now start letting the plant get its n if ur not over/under watering. Just my opin.

dropped the silica ...just using drip clean @ 1ml/gal and maxigrow, total ec is 1.0 ..top new growth looks ok ....just going to give it some time and see how she looks.. the leaves feel dry or crisp and kinda of fold down they are not very perky and dont seem very soft ..

she was also 15inches away from light with an oscilating fan blowing on her 24/7 .. i raised the light so the top of the plant is 22inches away from the light and turned the fan upward so it wasnt blowing directly onto her ... we shall see if it helps at all ..

LSWM

I will admit I didn't read the whole thread. From the looks of that last pic I wonder what your pH is, many times it takes some time for the pH to settle after mixing nutrients. I think dropping silica is a good bet. I've found it raises my pH and the pH keeps rising. Something to do with water hardness/alkalinity and NH4+ vs NO3-. If you don't have the right balance, the pH will drift over time. I don't think maxibloom/grow have this proper balance when adding silica.

As for flushing, I feed all the way until harvest. I see no reason to starve plants of vital nutrients while they are doing the majority of their bulking up. Healthy plants = healthy nugs. I've found genetics play the single most important role in smell/taste. Trimming dry makes the next biggest difference. Never trim wet. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

LSWM

I'm currently running a coco PPK, in a single site configuration. There are two 5 gallon reservoir totes in the system, but it usually is only holding about 6-8 gallons. There are three 5 gallon totes used in the entire system. One is used to hold the media.

This system is recirculating and I have had ZERO problems and done ZERO pH or EC checking, nor have I done any flushes or replaced the solution, except when it changed rooms 2 weeks before flower, after being in the system for ~2-3 weeks. I currently haven't changed the solution in ~2 months, only topped it off with fresh solution. I have occasionally added simply RO to the system once or twice to account for anticipated rise in EC.

I run Jack's Professional Hydro + CalNit added straight to RO, I OCCASIONALLY add some pH adjuster from JR Peters but rarely. It's adds alkalinity. I have been using Floralicious+ in the res from veg until now. I have occasionally added some Koolbloom to the reservoir. This is my first time ever running this system, or recirculating coco in general. I have always run DTW as does the rest of my grow.

This is a single plant under a 600 watt. Strain is Sweet Island Skunk. One of my absolute favorite smokes, this is my first time running her.

Last edited: